01-31-2014, 06:14 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I have, over the years, used a couple of dozen different creams and soaps, many of which have been used to completion. This is a much easier thing to do with the creams than the soaps. Like many of us, my personal shave nook is stuffed to the gills with great soaps and creams, and at last count, I have a good 10 years worth of shaves stashed away in the boxes. I need to see some progress using this stuff up, and make a real dent, hence my participation in the fidelity thread. Granted, this is not for everyone, but I'm making a go of it.

At the beginning of this year, I decided to do a twofer and super lather my mildly or unscented soaps with the excellent creams I have, and started with MWF. Finishing off a tube of Coates Tea Tree and moving on to Pen's Endymion cream, I've had some of the best shaves of my life for the last two weeks. Both creams are stellar, but the MWF is the tie that binds them. I had used a puck from start to finish about 3 years ago and remember having very good shaves, but something seems different. Perhaps it's my technique, maybe I make lather better, something else, I don't know.

For kicks and giggles today, I decided not to super lather (I'm missing the residual Endymion scent this morning Sad), and just use MWF, straight up, face lathering. What a shave, holy cats, what a shave. The slickness and cushion were fantastic, and there is not a single whisker poking its nose above skin level. Even more, the post shave feel is better than anything I've had. I'm chalking that up to the lanolin, as I've had similar feel from Musgo Real cream.

I'm not in the habit of gushing about a product, but was completely blown away today, and had to post. I'm tempted to engage in crazy talk and say that I'm prepared to dispense with the rest of my soap-cream stockpile and load up on MWF Rolleyes. I won't go that far, as my only true fidelity is to my wife, but I am going to stock up on a few cakes of MWF when this one is done sometime in March-April.

0 1,137
 01-31-2014, 06:24 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Like you, I have many soaps and creams. But if I were forced into having just one, it would be MWF. It is the only soap or cream that I have more than one of. You just can't beat MWF for consistent performance. Besides, it goes well with any after shave you decide to use.

175 23,752
 01-31-2014, 07:12 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I have exactly the same reaction when I come back to MWF after philandering with other soaps. When it comes to skin-care and providing the most comfortable shave (incl any irritation issues) - nothing is better than MWF. The fact that its $7-8/puck in the UK makes it all the more amazing compared the competition.

17 535
 01-31-2014, 07:46 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
MWF will always be my #1 soap and be in my rotation.

10 963
 01-31-2014, 08:01 AM
User Info
I'm in on the MWF love, great stuff.

1 131
 01-31-2014, 08:53 AM
User Info
Many English companies have gone through the dreaded re-formulation process, but gladly, MWF is one soap that hasn't been subjected to this. It's a product that delivers in every way.

31 5,276
 01-31-2014, 09:10 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Similar experience. I am addicted to MWF> For the past month or so I have been mixing it with creams in my scuttle. Fast extra creamy copious amounts of lather. The best combination so far has been mixing with Coats or Speick. I have enough soaps and creams to last for a very long time. I don't think I will go back to just MWF alone. However, if I had to I wouldn't mind.

68 1,046
 01-31-2014, 09:14 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Well, there's a reason it's called "The Fat"!
One of the best soaps out there, specially given its price.

26 4,891
 01-31-2014, 09:45 AM
User Info
Will give it a try in the morning. Tallow and lanolin soaps usually work very good.

119 13,006
 01-31-2014, 11:19 AM
User Info
I love the 'Fat' it will always be in my rotation. It's made in Yorkshire where I live Biggrin
My face feels good, soft and well moisturised today from the 'Fat' perfect.

0 875
 01-31-2014, 02:11 PM
User Info
MWF, all things considered (scent, lather, etc) is my favorite soap.

21 751
 01-31-2014, 02:22 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I love the scent, the bowls really cool, i cannot dial in the lather ive tried and tried watched videos. I give up, too many good soaps in my stash to mess with it anymore. I do blame my hard water.

118 1,708
 01-31-2014, 03:01 PM
User Info
gotta get some.

damn you, AD!!

3 153
 01-31-2014, 03:24 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Like others have eluded to, no matter what soaps I'm currently using or what my flavor of the month is, MWF will always remain my standard by which all others are judged.

I know some have had problems with the lather, but I have been very fortunate in that it has always performed flawlessly from day one. I still remember my amazement after the first time I shaved with it.

It always was and always will be a favorite of mine.

34 1,628
 01-31-2014, 06:28 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
The ceramic soap bowl is a pure bonus, and I'll take it over any other bowl. I'm sitting here 15 hours later with only a hint of stubble. I don't think I could bring myself to "scenting" the soap itself, primarily because it's the first shaving product that prompted my wife to say, "you smell good."

0 1,137
 01-31-2014, 06:49 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Not sure what the alcohol content would do to the chemical structure of the soap.

The old saying is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and MWF ain't broke.

175 23,752
 01-31-2014, 07:55 PM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
I'm more of a minimalist, but I did get a puck of this Mitchell's a couple of weeks ago and have been using daily since then with very satisfying results. As you say - the cushion, glide, scent and lanolin are all superlative. I think it's a keeper for me too! Sisi

0 567
 02-01-2014, 12:57 AM
User Info
MWF is my favorite soap too. I got it for xmas and I can't stop using it. Other than perhaps MDC, I can't see it getting knocked off my number one spot but I won't know that until I buy some MDC.

12 848
 02-01-2014, 05:18 AM
User Info
Used it this morning. Simply the best there is. Great light fragrance and easy to lather.

119 13,006
 02-01-2014, 07:20 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(01-31-2014, 02:22 PM)Triad Wrote: I love the scent, the bowls really cool, i cannot dial in the lather ive tried and tried watched videos. I give up, too many good soaps in my stash to mess with it anymore. I do blame my hard water.
Have you ever tried adding a pinch of sour salt to your shave water? If you cant get sour salt try a pinch of Kosher salt in your shave water and then lather up the MWF. Another name for the product is Citric Acid

68 1,046