01-31-2014, 08:04 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
Well, this is something that I never do, post a picture of myself 'showcasing' my skin disorder, in fact I go through great length's to cover it up in pictures. I've posted about my troubles shaving with this disorder before, but never posted a picture to capture what it really looks like. The disorder is 'Parry-Romberg syndrome' the wasting away of tissue underneath the skin.

Would any of you try using a straight razor with this mess ?

[Image: 20140131_102138.jpg]

5 123
 01-31-2014, 08:38 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Joshua, hate to hear about this condition. Personally I don't think I would use any kind of blade on that area. I would look to one of the wet/dry electric razors like the Panasonic.

I am also going to move this thread from the Parlor to the General Shaving section.

175 23,752
 01-31-2014, 08:58 AM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Joshua if straights are something you wanna get into i would say go for it, might not hit that area on your chin but theres plenty of other real estate there including the dome Cool

118 1,708
 01-31-2014, 09:04 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Knowing very little about Parry-Romberg syndrome, I've just researched it online after reading your post. I imagine that with the contours that this condition has introduced, the larger blade associated with a straight might make navigation more challenging, but I don't think that is cause alone for not trying. Shaving properly has assisted me to get to know my face and subsequently be more comfortable with it. If using a straight is something you wish to try I'd suggest using it on the unaffected side and a milder DE for the troubled areas until you feel confident. I did this when I first embarked on shaving with a straight and employed a mild DE to shave the more difficult areas such as the chin (as well as for touch ups).

99 18,011
 01-31-2014, 09:18 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
As of right now, I've been using a triangle tech, for all of my face. And I've got pretty good at 'navigating' i do get a bit more irritation on that side but I've stopped cutting myself. I do want to get into straights not just for shaving, but as a hobby (IE: Gold dollar modifications) in fact I just recently picked up 15 gold dollar razors to try modding recently(still have not come in.) and figured I would give it a whirl with one of those.

-- As for the head, I've been trying to find a hairstyle I like, thanks to my dad I've inherited his receding hair line hah! So recently I thought why not try going shaved, which I like.. but don't like the look of the moles that are on my head. had them checked out, none of them are melanoma, so now I'm looking into getting them removed! So far I've tried Apple Cider Vinegar on one, which has worked marvelously but did sting a bit. I've read some people using compound-w a wart remover for moles with good results I will try that next.

5 123
 01-31-2014, 09:24 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(01-31-2014, 09:18 AM)jshnks Wrote: As of right now, I've been using a triangle tech, for all of my face. And I've got pretty good at 'navigating' i do get a bit more irritation on that side but I've stopped cutting myself. I do want to get into straights not just for shaving, but as a hobby (IE: Gold dollar modifications) in fact I just recently picked up 15 gold dollar razors to try modding recently(still have not come in.) and figured I would give it a whirl with one of those.

-- As for the head, I've been trying to find a hairstyle I like, thanks to my dad I've inherited his receding hair line hah! So recently I thought why not try going shaved, which I like.. but don't like the look of the moles that are on my head. had them checked out, none of them are melanoma, so now I'm looking into getting them removed! So far I've tried Apple Cider Vinegar on one, which has worked marvelously but did sting a bit. I've read some people using compound-w a wart remover for moles with good results I will try that next.

I too have moles on my head. I use to shave my head until my granddaughter told me my moles were ugly, so I let my hair grow. Would be interested in your results with the compound-w stuff. Never heard about the Apple Cider Vinegar before.

175 23,752
 01-31-2014, 09:32 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
for the ACV method : http://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2013/04/ho...r-vinegar/

I will say it did work, although I didn't have any results with our local grocery markets brand of ACV but when I used Braggs organic, it took 2 nights to remove the mole.

5 123
 01-31-2014, 03:23 PM
User Info
Joshua, have you ever tried a straight on that challenging area? I think you would be the best individual to answer your question, in my opinion, as you have the most knowledge on it and experience with it. If you are getting into straight razor restoration, one test should indicate to you if it is a good thing to do or not.
I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide! Smile

82 21,056