01-31-2014, 12:20 PM
User Info
I'd like to deepen the holes in a set of lathed resin handles as cleanly as possible using Forstner bits.

I'm thinking of taping up the handles for protection and clamping them with plastic or wooden V-blocks inside a drill-press vise, but some of you may have figured out a better way.

Any suggestions?

The devil is in the details.

8 14
 01-31-2014, 12:58 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(01-31-2014, 12:20 PM)lathercatcher Wrote: I'd like to deepen the holes in a set of lathed resin handles as cleanly as possible using Forstner bits.

I'm thinking of taping up the handles for protection and clamping them with plastic or wooden V-blocks inside a drill-press vise, but some of you may have figured out a better way.

Any suggestions?

The devil is in the details.

I would recommend rubber inserts on your drill press vice, they will provide excellent friction to prevent the handle from spinning and will be soft enough to prevent deformation or scratching from occurring.

144 2,751
 01-31-2014, 02:28 PM
User Info
(01-31-2014, 12:58 PM)blzrfn Wrote: I would recommend rubber inserts on your drill press vice, they will provide excellent friction to prevent the handle from spinning and will be soft enough to prevent deformation or scratching from occurring.

Sounds like a good approach, thanks.

I'd have to find rubber blocks that are dense enough. The inserts I have are too cushy, and I'm afraid the handle would chatter.

Probably wouldn't hurt to shape the blocks with a coarse half-round file to maximize the contact area.

8 14
 01-31-2014, 02:56 PM
User Info
(01-31-2014, 02:28 PM)lathercatcher Wrote:
(01-31-2014, 12:58 PM)blzrfn Wrote: I would recommend rubber inserts on your drill press vice, they will provide excellent friction to prevent the handle from spinning and will be soft enough to prevent deformation or scratching from occurring.

Sounds like a good approach, thanks.

I'd have to find rubber blocks that are dense enough. The inserts I have are too cushy, and I'm afraid the handle would chatter.

Probably wouldn't hurt to shape the blocks with a coarse half-round file to maximize the contact area.

You can also use small pieces light foam sheets inside or outside the rubber if you want to increase the padding effect as well.

1 2,827