01-31-2014, 02:41 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Where is the tulip love? They don't seem to get much attention on the brush forums, which is too bad. The tulip has been my favorite handle shape since I purchased my first several years ago, an early Simfix T2 in two band super. Others may love their Chubbies and Dukes and Polos, but I've got a thing for the curvaceous tulips, and there don't seem to be a cure!

I received my most recent one a few days ago, a custom order from the artesan brush maker Javier in Spain (aka el druida). If you've visited the artesan forum you know that he turns incredible works of art, using beautiful exotic hardwood blanks. A brush turned in macassar ebony in particular caught my attention, and I asked him to create a tulip in that wood with a satin finish. The finished product is just marvelous. Here is a close up photo to illustrate the grain pattern:

[Image: xXDv1C3.jpg]

The knot is high mountain white three band, the highest grade of three band Javier offers I believe, and it is cloud soft with a good amount of backbone. I've had several three band knots that were just too floppy or mushy (with the exception of the Rooney super silvertip style 1 size 2). So I am partial to two band knots, but this one is a keeper.

Here is the brush with the rest of the tulips, catching some rare Pacific Northwest sunlight:

[Image: ur9YTqJ.jpg]

[Image: djus47k.jpg]

From left to right, with a few notes:

Rudy Vey custom tulip in black resin: This handle is based off a design by Dan Capshaw of Mt. Tamalpais woodworks. Dan wasn't taking brush orders at the time so I asked Rudy to turn me a handle based on that design. I was very specific in the design parameters and Rudy was so great to work with, he turned the handle twice to get it exactly right. The knot is a shavemac D01 two band flat top, and it is amazing, absolutely destroys soaps. I think the flat top and the D01 two band are a match made in heaven, the shape helps tame the otherwise unrelenting stiffness of the bristles. But they are soft in use, giving a nice pleasing scrub. I believe this measures 24 by 48 mm. Reminds me of a chess piece. This one is definitely king.

Simfix Tulip 2 two band: My first, great brush, a nice change of pace from the bigger brushes at around 22 mm. This is my travel brush.

pre-Simfix T4 two band: Not sure if this is Somerset or Carter or what, just know that it's pre Vulfix because of the lampblack. I love this brush and the Tulip 3 for the handle shape, which are slightly more curvaceous than current production tulips. I know some people rave about the Somerset knots, but I've found them to be subpar. The lofts are way too high, so the knots feel floppy. Yet the tips are also needlelike and give a prickly sensation. I have a suspicion that badger hair was not processed back then like it is today, the feel is totally different for supposedly super or silvertip hair.

pre-Simfix T3 two band: Pretty much as above.

artesania el druida Tulips in macassar ebony: Nice companion to the shavemac knot. Maybe the queen? 26 x 50 mm, HMW three band silvertip.

I also owned a Simfix T4 in three band super at one point, which was nice and soft but felt huge on the face due to the high loft. Also the handle was quite bulky.

I asked Lee Sabini years ago if he could turn me a tulip shaped Morris & Forndran, he replied that it was too difficult. I still don't have an M&F in my stable.

What I'd really like is to see and hear about other members' tulips. Thanks

17 447
 01-31-2014, 02:49 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I really like my Simpson's T2 Super. It's the perfect size for me. The super badger is soft and flexible, not too dense and not too much backbone, and does a wonderful job of caressing my face.

7 934
 01-31-2014, 02:57 PM
User Info
I guess you just made up for the lack of love with those pictures.

Great looking brushes!

1 2,827
 01-31-2014, 03:30 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
The Tulip is a shape I have been itching to try and will very likely be part of my next Simpson order (unless I stumble on a superb used one). Just trying to decide what size I want...

34 1,627
 01-31-2014, 03:32 PM
User Info
Great looking brushes, especially, the Rudy Vey one!

Enjoy that sunshine whenever you can! Smile

83 21,109
 01-31-2014, 03:52 PM
User Info
Gorgeous! I've been lusting after a Simpson T3 in Two-Band, hopefully soon!

My Rudy Vey Tulip (my best brush!):

[Image: 2013_11_21_+9_19.jpg]

54 1,214
 01-31-2014, 04:05 PM
User Info
 01-31-2014, 04:10 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(01-31-2014, 03:52 PM)david1201 Wrote: Gorgeous! I've been lusting after a Simpson T3 in Two-Band, hopefully soon!

My Rudy Vey Tulip (my best brush!):

[Image: 2013_11_21_+9_19.jpg]

The RV Tulip looks lovely...what knot does it have?

34 1,627
 01-31-2014, 04:10 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Thanks for the compliments guys!

I would recommend a tulip to anyone. Not only is it aesthetically pleasing, I find them the perfect length, not too long and not too stubby. They are also comfortable to hold. Some people talk about the rim that catches creeping lather, meh I don't think it really does anything functional.

I'm also looking to pick up a Simfix T3, which is probably the ideal size for me. The T2 is somewhat smallish but fully capable, and I can't imagine how small a T1 would feel.

Celestino, I'll happy when the skies are "light grey" instead of "dark grey," but I love the Pacific Northwest (transplant). How is the fatip working out for you?

Rudy Vey is great to work with. I'm contemplating another flat top with D01 three band, in white. david1201, love that handle, the colors in the wood nicely mirror what looks like a two band knot. Stunning.

Beautiful tulips cessnabirdHeart! How do you like the performance of that Somerset T2 two band knot?

17 447
 01-31-2014, 04:42 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I do love the handle on my T3 Super, one of Simpson's best, IMHO.

26 4,952
 01-31-2014, 04:46 PM
User Info
Its one of the custom Two-Bands that Rudy had made for himself, had one left over.

He raved about it, so I trusted him on it, never actually told me.

Expect its a Shavemac, but not sure. It is by far my favorite knot/brush, this one will NEVER be sold!

(01-31-2014, 04:10 PM)Giorgio Wrote: The RV Tulip looks lovely...what knot does it have?

54 1,214
 01-31-2014, 05:41 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I owned Simpson Tulips in Super from size 1 through to 4,
I'm now down to a single T3 in Manchurian...

[Image: dAVZkU7.png]

99 18,011
 01-31-2014, 05:56 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(01-31-2014, 05:41 PM)ben74 Wrote:
I owned Simpson Tulips in Super from size 1 through to 4,
I'm now down to a single T3 in Manchurian...

[Image: dAVZkU7.png]

The T3 is indeed the best size of the Tulip series IMO.

26 4,952
 01-31-2014, 05:58 PM
User Info
So Ben, sounds like I should go all-in or go home? i.e. don't waste my time with the two-band and just go for the Manchurian? Biggrin

54 1,214
 01-31-2014, 06:09 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-31-2014, 05:58 PM)david1201 Wrote: So Ben, sounds like I should go all-in or go home? i.e. don't waste my time with the two-band and just go for the Manchurian? Biggrin

Two band is a great choice, but I prefer Manchurian.

The T1 and T2 I had were Super 2 band and they were great in terms of backbone and flow through, however at the time I had a preference for larger brushes. The T3 and T4 I had were Super 3 band, I found they were too yielding for me in part due to the less rigid hair and in part due to the density.

The T3 IMO is a great size, the T4 seemed cumbersome and the handle to knot ratio didn't sit well for me. Manchurian offers the combination of knot characteristics I like best (perfect combination of backbone, soft tips, some resistance or sensation and flow through), but Super Two Band or Simpson SilverTip (SST) as it is now being branded as, is certainly not far behind. And certainly wouldn't be a waste of your time!

99 18,011
 01-31-2014, 06:20 PM
User Info
The Tulip is beautiful handle design and the T3 in ivory is a classic, it's the only shape I'd currently like to add to my collection. Javier makes stunning brushes and the shape is faithful to the original.

23 475
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Bill,

The tulip handle looks very good. The flat top is something, isn't it? I got one from Vie Long in December. It has the softest tips of any brush I've ever used. Excellent combination of style and function

19 753
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I love the waists on those Somerset Tulips.

0 1,137
 01-31-2014, 06:39 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Bill, your el druida tulip is amazing!

99 18,011
 01-31-2014, 06:50 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(01-31-2014, 04:46 PM)david1201 Wrote: Its one of the custom Two-Bands that Rudy had made for himself, had one left over.

He raved about it, so I trusted him on it, never actually told me.

Expect its a Shavemac, but not sure. It is by far my favorite knot/brush, this one will NEVER be sold!

(01-31-2014, 04:10 PM)Giorgio Wrote: The RV Tulip looks lovely...what knot does it have?

Wow, that sounds superb, thanks for sharing! You'll have to pardon my slight jealousy BiggrinBiggrin

34 1,627