04-30-2012, 10:32 PM
User Info
I have only used Tabac twice both times my face was very shiny/oily the next morning? Is the tallow too much for oily skin? I have only used this one tallow based soap. Wanted to try MWF but if it leaves this much on my face not sure I should invest in it. Also used a AS splash with Glycerin but that alone with other soaps hasn't done this.
Anyone else have this happen?

2 805
 04-30-2012, 10:57 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
I battle oily skin and I can't really think of any problems I've had with tallow, or Tabac. I've been using tallow based soaps, along with the rest, for quite some time, so maybe I had trouble early on then my face got used to it and I just don't remember. For the price, WMF would be one of the lesser expensive items to experiment with, minus the nice bowl of course. If you like sticks, Palmolive would be another inexpensive yet very good performing tallow option. Mitchell's also has lanolin, so that might throw another variable in the mix.

1 73
 05-01-2012, 05:50 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Never heard or read that tallow based soaps cant be used with oily skin.However,every skin is different and you may get a bad reaction from tallow based soaps.

86 7,123
 05-01-2012, 06:15 AM
User Info
Are you using any aftershave lotions, balms, gels or any other products as part of your shave routine, and has this only occurred with Tabac?

0 123
 05-01-2012, 07:12 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Might be something in the TABAC formula causing this to happen other than tallow.

173 23,484
 05-01-2012, 07:12 AM
User Info
I have somewhat oily skin, moreso in the t-zone than where I shave. However, I've not noticed any issues with tallow based soaps...I do intentionally avoid anything with lanolin though.

With any soap, you want to make sure you rinse it off thoroughly. I do this by splashing my face with a ton of hot water both between passes and when I'm done. I've found that soaps and creams with a ton of coconut oil in them (Fitjar, Cella, etc.) require extra rinsing. Some guys will wash their face with a mild soap or facewash after shaving but before applying after shave products.

For aftershave, I've found what works best for me is to apply an alc-based splash with wet hands to a wet face. You don't need a ton, just a quarter-ish sided amount. After it dries, I put on some non-comedogenic unscented moisturizer, like CeraVe. Technically, you don't have to wait for it to dry.

Generally I avoid ASBs because most of them contain things that are potentially comedogenic and the splash+moisturizer combo just does a better job.

0 189
 05-01-2012, 10:56 AM
User Info
(05-01-2012, 06:15 AM)mctmatt Wrote: Are you using any aftershave lotions, balms, gels or any other products as part of your shave routine, and has this only occurred with Tabac?

No just Tabac. My skin (6hrs later) I shave at night. Looked like I had just rubbed suntan oil on it. I have been using Proraso AS splash and Culbman AS.

2 805
 05-01-2012, 11:18 AM
User Info
I would say to discontinue using the Tabac. Try another soap and I would even try one that does have tallow and one that does not. This same question was asked on Badger & Blade, Matt at Queen Charlotte Soaps said that there is actually no tallow remaining in the final product as it has been fully saponified.

0 123
 05-01-2012, 11:21 AM
User Info
The fat in the soap is saponified during the soap making process. Unless you specifically buying a "super fat" type of soap... there isn't much oil left in the soap once it's ready to use; this is why most soap is actually drying, not moisturizing.

I doubt it's the tallow that is affecting but it could be another ingredient in tabac that your skin doesn't love.

3 315
 05-01-2012, 01:56 PM
User Info
(05-01-2012, 11:21 AM)RazoRock_Joe Wrote: I doubt it's the tallow that is affecting but it could be another ingredient in tabac that your skin doesn't love.

That makes sense, now that I think about it Cella doesn't do this to me.

2 805