05-01-2012, 12:27 AM
User Info
I will admit to a slight bias in this review: the Parker 22R was my first DE razor, and my only razor for the first year. With that out of the way, here we go:
[Image: parker22r.jpg]
The Parker 22R is a Twist To Open (TTO) safety razor with a heavily machined grip. The razor is of mixed cast and machined construction, and is made of brass with a gun metal finish.
For some reason the various Parker razors seems to have gained a reputation online for poor quality control; to me this just don't jive. Not only is my 22R still as tight and smooth in it's operation as the day it was when I unpacked it, but it survived all the mistakes I did when I started shaving, a year in Africa and being disassembled for cleaning more than once. No low quality razors would survive that - especially not one with a TTO head.
The 22R is a long handled razor, but not particular heavy. It is also a fairly aggressive razor, which will punish a newbie fairly fast if too much pressure is applied when shaving. While this can be a good thing - adapt or die from facial lacerations - it can also turn a newcomer away from the joy that traditional wetshaving can be.
As mentioned the 22R is aggressive. It can do well with a very sharp blade - I was exclusively using Feather Hi Stainless blades in it while I was in Africa - but a light touch is needed. It also shaves very well with a milder blade, and maintains a very good blade alignment with little effort - just drop the blade in any old how and close the doors.
The balance of the 22R is a little different than my other DE razors, a little lighter in the head, a little heavier in the handle. Makes it easier to maintain a very light pressure though, so I think it's a good thing. It can also be a little fiddly to clean, something it has in common with other TTO razors, but a little bit of preventative maintenance and a little bit of common sense goes a long way to alleviate that.
Overall I will definitely recommend this razor - I found it a very good razor when I started wetshaving, and I feel it'll be welcome in any experienced wetshavers rotation.

3 3,557
 05-01-2012, 03:08 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Thanks, Hans. I had a Parker years ago and considered it too mild for my taste. You mention this model being fairly aggressive - to what other razor would you compare the Parker?

35 2,703
 05-01-2012, 03:15 AM
User Info
In my - small, granted - collection I would rate it as being milder than the Merkur 39C slant, roughly on par with my Merkur 985CL open comb travel razor (depening on the blade) and significantly more aggressive than my Feather Popular.

3 3,557
 05-01-2012, 03:44 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Thanks, Hans. For a TTO, it sounds like a decently aggressive razor so I may have to give one a try soon.

35 2,703
 05-01-2012, 04:40 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
A great review, thanks for sharing.

1 3,507
 05-01-2012, 05:08 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
This razor was updated about two years ago. Parker made it a lot heavier and changed the head design somewhat. Its one of Parker's better razors.

100 12,438
 05-01-2012, 08:34 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
I have one just like yours and I liked it a lot, till I dropped it and it lost its alignment.Sad
I took it apart and straightened the bent parts, but it dropped down in the pecking order to my vintage razors.

I agree with you about the aggressiveness. It is substantially more aggressive than a Super Speed. Your posting has inspired me to give it a try this week Smile

0 911
 05-04-2012, 06:31 AM
User Info
I had the 22R and hated it. The blade isn't held firmly near the edge which results in a fair amount of blade torque. I agree that it's an aggressive razor, but not comfortable in the least. I'm not sure what the blade gap is, but it doesn't really matter since the blade is held so far from the edge.

I wouldn't recommend this razor to anyone, especially someone new. My nephew liked the looks of it and wanted to try it and he ended up with weepers galore and a very irritated face. He used my Futur set on 5 and had no issues at all. I actually gave him the 22R, but he told me it was to uncomfortable and he tossed it.

Obviously YMMV.

9 451
 05-04-2012, 06:37 AM
User Info
Definitely YMMV then, since I find it an excellent razor which holds the blade securely... in light of Jerry's comment on the redesigned head; when did you purchase yours John?

3 3,557
 05-04-2012, 11:29 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
If you like the way this razor shaves check out the 92R model for an very cool look...kind of super high tech..can see it at Razor Blades and More or on E-Bay but they are hard to get..usually out of stock...check out the design..really neat ( I ended up with 2 of them )The measurments as listed are wrong ...handle is 4 " or 100mm and the width is standard size for a TTO ..the handle is what is cool and the weight is 3 1/2 oz..definitely a heavy weight.

6 1,913
 05-04-2012, 12:08 PM
User Info
I also have this razor and find it to be a great shaver!

0 295
 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM
User Info
(05-04-2012, 06:37 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Definitely YMMV then, since I find it an excellent razor which holds the blade securely... in light of Jerry's comment on the redesigned head; when did you purchase yours John?

I got mine right around the time they redesigned it., so perhaps it was the old design. Either way, I wouldn't buy another. The 'fool me once...' phrase keeps me in check. lol

9 451
 05-04-2012, 01:05 PM
User Info
Must be.. oh well, I couldn't be happier with mine Smile

3 3,557