02-02-2014, 09:06 PM
User Info
i have been a wet shaver fore around 20 something years , , and like many wet shaver we. I have more than my share of soaps- i never really cared or thought of the placement of them , as they were waiting to be used , , i have a lot of tallow soaps just sitting in the original boxes in a cabinet , they still smell great but i was wondering , is there a reason or better way refrigeration wise to store them, i am acquiring some vegetable soaps and an not sure how to care for them , i never really gave much thought , chime in with any thoughts or suggestions ,

0 98
 02-02-2014, 09:11 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
A hard soap will last indefinitely, though it might gradually lose its fragrance if it isn't sealed.

I do refrigerate soft and semi-hard soaps in sealed packages in the refrigerator, as I believe that they are more perishable.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-02-2014, 09:32 PM
User Info
(02-02-2014, 09:11 PM)CMur12 Wrote: A hard soap will last indefinitely, though it might gradually lose its fragrance if it isn't sealed.

I do refrigerate soft and semi-hard soaps in sealed packages in the refrigerator, as I believe that they are more perishable.

- Murray
i have a soft soap coming from germany Klar kabinette, and want top keep this for a long time , , because of my rotation of soaps and such it will not be depleted for years to come, and do not want this stuff cruding out on me

0 98
 02-02-2014, 11:21 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
User Info
I, personally, would feel safer refrigerating it, then. Especially if it has no preservatives in the formula.

I wouldn't freeze it, however, as that might affect the structure of the soap.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-03-2014, 02:46 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
(02-02-2014, 11:21 PM)CMur12 Wrote: I, personally, would feel safer refrigerating it, then. Especially if it has no preservatives in the formula.

- Murray

+1. I stick the hard soaps in a ziplock bag, and leave them at room temperature. I'd wrap the soft soaps up in plastic and keep them in the back of the fridge.

0 1,137
 02-03-2014, 05:49 AM
User Info
The only thing that really needs to be refrigerated is Cella. Everything else should be ok. Personally I store all kilo bricks of soft soap in the fridge. But I also live alone so I can get away with it. Angel

61 1,710
 02-03-2014, 08:08 AM
User Info
(02-03-2014, 02:46 AM)Elendil Wrote:
(02-02-2014, 11:21 PM)CMur12 Wrote: I, personally, would feel safer refrigerating it, then. Especially if it has no preservatives in the formula.

- Murray

+1. I stick the hard soaps in a ziplock bag, and leave them at room temperature. I'd wrap the soft soaps up in plastic and keep them in the back of the fridge.

While I was wondering this same thing I thing the back of the fridge might be bad. That is the coldest part , not including the freezer, so you would have to be careful. If it is too cool in your fridge things can freeze up. Don't ask me how I know . Wink

0 295
 02-03-2014, 09:24 AM
User Info
I have a fridge in the garage thst should be fine, thanks fellas

0 98
 02-03-2014, 10:50 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
(02-03-2014, 08:08 AM)BigMark Wrote:
(02-03-2014, 02:46 AM)Elendil Wrote:

- Murray

While I was wondering this same thing I thing the back of the fridge might be bad. That is the coldest part , not including the freezer, so you would have to be careful. If it is too cool in your fridge things can freeze up. Don't ask me how I know . Wink

I would hate to keep them up front and in a fit of hunger and sleepiness, spread Valobra on my bagel. Biggrin

0 1,137
 02-03-2014, 11:05 AM
User Info
...or creme cheese on your face Biggrin

7 1,624
 02-03-2014, 12:01 PM
User Info
(02-03-2014, 09:24 AM)BrotherCavefish Wrote: I have a fridge in the garage thst should be fine, thanks fellas

That's where I keep mine; out in the shop aka the PMS refuge.

Just the croaps though. OK, some beer, BBQ, and such also. The coldest beer in Maine is to be found in that refrigerator during the summer.

32 6,445
 02-03-2014, 05:04 PM
User Info
(02-03-2014, 12:01 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(02-03-2014, 09:24 AM)BrotherCavefish Wrote: I have a fridge in the garage thst should be fine, thanks fellas

That's where I keep mine; out in the shop aka the PMS refuge.

Just the croaps though. OK, some beer, BBQ, and such also. The coldest beer in Maine is to be found in that refrigerator during the summer.
Oh yea the mancave I love my shop built many a strops and straight restorations in there

0 98
 02-03-2014, 05:47 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info

- Murray

Soaps by definition of what soap is, made with oils and lye do NOT need a preservative because of how they are made. The extra liquid evaporates out of them so they become a hard product. Many products bought in stores that we call soap, are not defined by the FDA as soap and they are a beauty bar because they contain detergents.

Now antioxidants are often added as some oils do go rancid over time, but unless the soap has a very high superfat its not really an issue in a solid hard soap. Many people say they use natural preservatives such as vitamin E, ROE (rosemary oil extract) or grapefruit seed extract but they are NOT preservatives and are antioxidants. There is a big difference between the two.

Others use food preservatives such as citric acid in some cosmetics such as lotion, creams or even an aftershave balm which are not appropriate nor do they work in cosmetics. Personally I would avoid this type of product that doesn't have a proper "chemical" preservative like the plague. Only small amount is used and it's pros outweigh the cons.

I have several bath soaps that are made perhaps 5-8 years ago and they are still just fine. Just I keep bars around to look at as they age and know how different properties and percent's of ingredients act over long periods of time.

Freezing will affect MP (melt and pour glycerin) soaps but I have not found freezing to affect a cold process type soap. A MP that is made with sodium hydroxide and various oils such as some of the common shaving soaps would be included in this type of MP glycerin soap. I believe one of the owners of one of the main suppliers posted a blog post about this after an amount of MP soap was left outside overnight and froze. But they should lather just fine and if they are in a jar or container it won't be an issue.

Croaps and creams will have their liquids evaporate over time, it's the nature of the beast, but honestly I won't refrigerate them. I would think that may speed up the evaporation of the liquids in these products. They are made and designed to be at room temp. If you want to keep that liquid inside the cream/croap and not evaporate out I would suggest wrapping it tightly in several layers of saran wrap to keep that moisture inside the product. It may not do the job completely but it will certainly help.

Any product may lose it's scent over time, just the nature of the best, but often if you don't smell the scent on the outer side of the bar of soap but once you add water and lather it up you will notice the scent. Again the nature of the beast locking the scent inside, but over years even that may evaporate out as well.

Just my 2 cents as a soapmaker.....

7 405
 02-03-2014, 08:11 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
User Info
Krissy, for clarification, are you saying that soft soaps are as resistant to degradation as hard soaps? Though I haven't experienced it, myself, I have read accounts of Cella soft soap going rancid.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-03-2014, 08:37 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
Now I CAN say I've learned something today...Thanks krissy! I was just about to bag some soaps and put them in the fridge, but now I'll just stick to wrapping themLightbulb

4 794
 02-03-2014, 09:11 PM
User Info
Some fine reading, here! Smile

82 21,056
 02-03-2014, 09:25 PM
User Info
I have a tub of Cella in the cabinet changing to a brownish character as I write. It has been in the process of changing for some time now. No other soap, croap, or cream is turning brown only the Cella.

Hard soaps that are vintage also turn brown over time. Yes, they lose their scent also, but they also change. They seem to work as well as lighter colored soaps, but they do change. I have a vintage puck of Barbershop soap that's a dark tan color. I don't believe it started out that way. FWIW, it's 30-40 years old.

32 6,445
 02-03-2014, 11:01 PM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
(02-03-2014, 09:25 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I have a tub of Cella in the cabinet changing to a brownish character as I write...

...I have a vintage puck of Barbershop soap that's a dark tan color. I don't believe it started out that way. FWIW, it's 30-40 years old.

I know what you mean Brian about those "vintage" toffee-coloured pucks. I see them make the ebay rounds from time to time. They look delicious! Biggrin

Funny about the Cella. Is yours in the red plastic or a slice off the ItalianBarber block?

0 567
 02-03-2014, 11:45 PM
User Info
It came from a kilo that I purchased. The tubs in the refrigerator appear to be unchanged.

32 6,445
 02-04-2014, 06:45 AM
User Info
(02-03-2014, 05:47 PM)krissy Wrote:

- Murray

Soaps by definition of what soap is, made with oils and lye do NOT need a preservative because of how they are made. The extra liquid evaporates out of them so they become a hard product. Many products bought in stores that we call soap, are not defined by the FDA as soap and they are a beauty bar because they contain detergents.

Now antioxidants are often added as some oils do go rancid over time, but unless the soap has a very high superfat its not really an issue in a solid hard soap. Many people say they use natural preservatives such as vitamin E, ROE (rosemary oil extract) or grapefruit seed extract but they are NOT preservatives and are antioxidants. There is a big difference between the two.

Others use food preservatives such as citric acid in some cosmetics such as lotion, creams or even an aftershave balm which are not appropriate nor do they work in cosmetics. Personally I would avoid this type of product that doesn't have a proper "chemical" preservative like the plague. Only small amount is used and it's pros outweigh the cons.

I have several bath soaps that are made perhaps 5-8 years ago and they are still just fine. Just I keep bars around to look at as they age and know how different properties and percent's of ingredients act over long periods of time.

Freezing will affect MP (melt and pour glycerin) soaps but I have not found freezing to affect a cold process type soap. A MP that is made with sodium hydroxide and various oils such as some of the common shaving soaps would be included in this type of MP glycerin soap. I believe one of the owners of one of the main suppliers posted a blog post about this after an amount of MP soap was left outside overnight and froze. But they should lather just fine and if they are in a jar or container it won't be an issue.

Croaps and creams will have their liquids evaporate over time, it's the nature of the beast, but honestly I won't refrigerate them. I would think that may speed up the evaporation of the liquids in these products. They are made and designed to be at room temp. If you want to keep that liquid inside the cream/croap and not evaporate out I would suggest wrapping it tightly in several layers of saran wrap to keep that moisture inside the product. It may not do the job completely but it will certainly help.

Any product may lose it's scent over time, just the nature of the best, but often if you don't smell the scent on the outer side of the bar of soap but once you add water and lather it up you will notice the scent. Again the nature of the beast locking the scent inside, but over years even that may evaporate out as well.

Just my 2 cents as a soapmaker.....
well thats about 5 cents, but well appreciated

0 98