02-02-2014, 10:58 PM
User Info
Is there anyway to compare the harshness/scaryness of the cobra classic vs a 2013 r41? I gather that the two style of blades are actually quite different, thus being hard to compare but now that I've tried a 2013 r41 I'd be curious to how they compare to the Cobra. The other day someone mentioned any little bump or blemish on your face that is raised above your skin will end up being level with your skin after a pass with the Cobra and that was kind of unsettling. I also find that the r41 still pretty much requires the same amount of passes for me as another safety razor so I'm not really sure where the benefit is to using one versus one that is a bit smoother. I only had a couple small weepers with the r41 but throughout the day my face still felt raw. I guess I'd like to get a Cobra and see what all the high praise is about but I'm wondering if it's perhaps too harsh for me. I just like the idea of a simple 2 pass shave.

12 848
 02-02-2014, 11:12 PM
User Info
Shane, the two are totally different beasts as you already know. The cobra has the thicker blade more like a traditional SE but it is much longer. The shave itself is fairly aggressive but at the same time is also extremely smooth. Once you dial in the angle and hand positioning with the cobra, shaves become wonderful and effortless. If you can get good/comfortable shaves from the R41, then you will really like the cobra. Don't fear the serpent, embrace it!

69 2,186
 02-03-2014, 01:52 AM
  • sm304
  • Carnoustie, UK.
User Info
I love my Cobra, it very quickly became one of my favourite razors. I loaned it to a friend and within a few days of having it he had bought one. I was very wary of trying it for the first time because of it's reputation but once I got a feel for it and the correct angle it is one of the smoothest razors I own. I have a 2011 and a 2013 R41s and these don't get very much use because I find them too harsh and aggressive on my face. I have read recently that not all Feather Artist blades fit the Cobra, I think it was the Professional Super blades do not locate properly. This gives it more blade gap resulting in much more aggression. I have only used the Professional blades in mine and get on great with them.

Scott.

0 89
 02-03-2014, 09:00 AM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I use a cobra daily, the r41 is the scary one!!

118 1,708
 02-03-2014, 09:15 AM
User Info
I have never found the Cobra Classic to be exceptionally aggressive. Efficient yes, but not aggressive. Will it cut off a bump in your skin? Yes, if you're not aware of it or if you use pressure. In normal use, the Cobra will not 'remove' skin blemishes.

The 2011 R41 was aggressive, and I didn't care for it. The shaves were equally close between these razors, but the 2011 R41 was not as enjoyable to shave with. The 2013 R41 is much better.

You have to try the Cobra to know if it will work for you. Don't be afraid of it.

37 1,743
 02-03-2014, 11:21 AM
User Info
I found shaving with R41 nerve wracking. Total concentration required at all times. The Cobra is agressive and efficient but I find it intuitive and easy to use. The Cobra is a far more pleasant experience for me.

15 771
 02-04-2014, 01:44 AM
User Info
Thanks for your replies, I guess I'll have to give one a try next time they're stocked. It's the one razor I've been really intrigued and excited about trying.

12 848
 02-04-2014, 03:09 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I was very wary of the Cobra. I have a problem with large gap DE razors. I keep adjustable razors on the lowest setting. My Tech is right on the edge of too aggressive, although I enjoy using it. But I gave it a try and no other razor I have ever used comes close to its efficiency and comfort. I believe the rigidity and sharpness of the blade makes a big difference along with the shape of the head. It is similar to shaving with E model Schick or a straight on T handle, only way sharper. If you are an experienced single edge shaver, I would go for it.

As for increasing its ability to handle more AC blades, I am not sure why it needs to. I have used the Super Pro in a shavett. It is a wider Pro blade so more of the blade is exposed, which includes the very sharp corners. As a result, there is a tendency to nick oneself on the corners. I cannot imagine gaining more efficiency over that provided by the Pro or the Pro Guard blades.

19 566
 02-04-2014, 04:12 PM
User Info
You only have to level your face once!!BiggrinBiggrin

In all honesty, any DE/SE razor I have used can flattened a couple imperfections if I am not paying attn, not just a Cobra.

The cobra is also my daily razor, and have no issues with being too aggressive.

31 1,800