05-01-2012, 06:03 AM
User Info
Here is my brief review...

[Image: IMG_5319.jpg]

Price: Discontinued, but retailed for $32.00. Value has been driven up to $50's due to rarity. I do not think the soap is worth that price, but I have to imagine the packaging plays a big part in the hefty price.

Package: Very unique and classy, although as others mentioned it might actually do harm rather than good. For one, the opening is rather small(2 1/2in). Luckily I do not use monster brushes so this will not effect me as much. Also, I believe over time the wood could get damaged due to the amount of water that comes in contact unless properly sealed and stained. I believe it would take a long time for this to happen but still a slight possibility. Lastly, when cork is removed sometimes, it leaves some debris in the actual soap that is caused from opening. Again, not a big deal, but I prefer not to lather my face with small crumbs of Cork. Overall as the packaging does not serve any purpose other than Classy appearance, It would not deter me from buying more(if it was possible). In addition, one can easily take the soap out of the wood package and use it as a shave stick.

Scent : This is a wonderful light floral smell. It reminds me of the Violet Candy I used to eat when I smoked a while back. Does anyone remember these?
[Image: images.jpg]

Taste: Just kidding, although who hasnt wanted to try and eat one of their soaps before? You know who you are

Lather: Excellent cushioning lather. I wouldn't say its MWF or MDC, but pretty solid nonetheless.

Slickness: Very slick, but again I wouldn't say its better for me than MWF

I would also say this soap has great skin care qualities. Left my face very moist after the shave and did not use A/S. Its very unfortunate to see this soap discontinued, but luckily they still have the stick. We are crossing our fingers that Teiste strong arms La Toja to bringing it back in the market Cool

9 333
 05-01-2012, 06:41 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Another soap I would have loved to try just based on the container. Probably for the best that it has been discontinued so I don't end up spending so much on it.

Great review and great looking soap!

35 1,732
 05-01-2012, 06:46 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks a lot for this review!
La Toja Manantiales is a great soap,and Im agree with you,the wooden bowl looks great but is not really handy.
30.00 dollars is also a high price for it,since in Spain was 10 euros (around 14 dollars) when it was available.

86 7,123
 05-01-2012, 07:12 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I believe it retailed for around $30.00 in the U.S. when it was available. The container is cool looking but not very functional in my opinion. That said, I was sad to see this soap go.

45 16,280
 05-01-2012, 07:14 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
C-Trim, nice review. This was one of the soaps I always wanted to try but never got around to it.

173 23,488
 05-01-2012, 07:15 AM
User Info
(05-01-2012, 07:12 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I believe it retailed for around $30.00 in the U.S. when it was available. The container is cool looking but not very functional in my opinion. That said, I was sad to see this soap go.

Hmmm. I checked it out here... maybe he raised the price when it was close to discontiuing...http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/content/la-toja-manantiales-shaving-soap-wooden-bowl-150g

I must have really overpayedHuh

9 333
 05-01-2012, 09:31 AM
User Info
(05-01-2012, 07:15 AM)Chicagotrim Wrote:
(05-01-2012, 07:12 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I believe it retailed for around $30.00 in the U.S. when it was available. The container is cool looking but not very functional in my opinion. That said, I was sad to see this soap go.

Hmmm. I checked it out here... maybe he raised the price when it was close to discontiuing...http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/content/la-toja-manantiales-shaving-soap-wooden-bowl-150g

I must have really overpayedHuh

I wouldn't worry. As with other discontinued products that are highly though of, I am sure these will be selling for $60 in about a year or two. Such a great product that we are losing.

5 78
 05-01-2012, 01:01 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
With shipping, I paid close to $44 last July from WCS. I doubt at that price I would buy it again if it was available. While it's easily in my top 5, I still favor Harris & Tabac and to me the La Toja stick seems just as good. The bowl leaves much to be desired. I've left the puck in the bowl to load my brush (too narrow), taken the puck out and held it in my hand to load and even used it as a shave stick. Recently I cut an inch or two off and put it in an empty Taylor cream container. That works the best, although it defeats the purpose of the bowl, which I actually find kind of chintzy. I would like to see them at least keep the soap available as a refill puck. For $15-20 I would buy a refill puck.

0 204
 05-08-2012, 10:10 AM
  • Nova316
  • Alberta, Canada
User Info
I love this soap, its very slick and leaves my face feeling quite hydrated. I ended up buying another new one before they were sold out for 40$ shipped, its quite expensive but I find it works better than the stick. But for the price the stick is pretty hard to beat.

Definitely going to miss it when its done, but I have quite a bit to keep me going for the next few years anyways as its part of a larger rotation

0 33
 05-09-2012, 05:13 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I've got two of them, haven't tried it yet and didn't know it had been discontinued...

91 17,796
 05-09-2012, 06:13 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
Nice looking container and sounds like a good soap. I've seen this soap in Shave of the Day type pictures and always wanted to know more about it so thank you for the review.

Bummer on it being discontinued. Not sure if it is something I'd pick up due to price but it's always sad to see a good product go.

0 353
 07-29-2012, 06:35 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I just pulled my bowl out of the drawer for today's shave. I have been using this sparingly, and today's shave reminded me why. This stuff is just outstanding. I put the lather quality right up there with Martin de Candre, but I prefer the scent of La Toja.

43 1,690
 07-29-2012, 07:07 AM
User Info
Noah, very nice review. Good thing you prefer MdC and MWF to this as it is discontinued. Have a great day.

75 20,883
 07-29-2012, 12:18 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
By the way : I was told by La Toja/Henkel that both this soap and the stick are tallow based,since the Potassium/Sodium Sterate are from tallow.So technically,is a tallow based soap,even when we don't read Potassium/Sodium Talowatte on its list ingredients.

86 7,123
 07-31-2012, 07:15 AM
User Info
I enjoy their stick (which is a different formula)

Wish I could have tried their Manantailes

2 65
 08-06-2012, 12:50 PM
  • MikeGJ
  • Grand Junction, CO
User Info
This is a great soap, my #1 choice. The stick is a slightly different formulation, but I have found it to be just as good as the Manantailes.

1 107
 08-08-2012, 12:18 PM
User Info
The Manantiales is/was a superb soap but the stick is little different IMO.

31 4,957
 08-08-2012, 12:23 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-08-2012, 12:18 PM)Optometrist Wrote: The Manantiales is/was a superb soap but the stick is little different IMO.

Yes,it is.I prefer the Manantiales better,and also,the old vintage sticks.
I founded a "gold mine" of old vintage sticks like 2 years ago,and that was wonderful.Unfortunately,I only kept one...

86 7,123
 08-08-2012, 12:52 PM
User Info
(08-08-2012, 12:23 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(08-08-2012, 12:18 PM)Optometrist Wrote: The Manantiales is/was a superb soap but the stick is little different IMO.

Yes,it is.I prefer the Manantiales better,and also,the old vintage sticks.
I founded a "gold mine" of old vintage sticks like 2 years ago,and that was wonderful.Unfortunately,I only kept one...

Can't argue about the vintage La Toja stick. I was recently gifted one from a Spanish friend, and it's amazing.

31 4,957
 08-10-2012, 02:53 PM
User Info
The La Toja stick has it all: scent & performance

8 240