02-03-2014, 11:30 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
As I'm reknotting a GBS brush that my wife bought for me off Amazon, I was wondering if others have experienced the surprise purchase by their significant others that turned out to be less than a winner?

34 1,627
 02-03-2014, 12:00 PM
User Info
My wife bought an Anthony Logistics shave kit last year for my birthday. It came with a facial scrub, facial cleanser, shave oil, shave cream, and aftershave balm.

The facial cleanser, shave cream, and aftershave balm are fantastic and I love using them.

On the other hand, I don't like facial "scrubs" at all, and I find shave oils don't make a difference.

She also bought a bar of some modern brand shave soap..Jack Black perhaps? It was shaped like a curvy bar of bath soap, not a puck, and didn't have great reviews. I had her return that.

Thankfully my wife and I can tell each other that while we appreciate the thought, the gift may not be right for us. It's not unusual, then to return presents that we give to each other. No sense trying to fake it.

Like you, I've also received some winners from her:

Merkur 38M razor
Vulfix 660S super badger brush
Art of Shaving Ocean Kelp shave cream
Anthony Logistics Shave Cream, ASB, and facial cleanser
Plenty of great cologne samples and testers
Clinique after shave healer

Definitely more hits than misses.

0 836
 02-03-2014, 12:09 PM
User Info
Fortunately I haven't had that same experience. My wife and I both learned from my mistake in buying her a couple perfumes, which I liked but she didn't. Now I only buy her exactly what she says she wants, and vice versa.

207 12,351
 02-03-2014, 05:48 PM
User Info
My wife tries to go above and beyond and always be thoughtful with her gifts. She has purchased me "hobby" related stuff before but she tries to keep purchases to no fail items. Carry cases, stands, storage solutions, etc. She has done really good by me so far.

I would never, ever fault an SO for trying to indulge our craziness. If she purchased me some ridiculous cream, soap or aftershave, I would probably keep it and use it for sentimental reasons.

32 344
 02-03-2014, 06:24 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I am overjoyed with whatever gift she gives me, and make a point of using it on our nights out.

38 5,196
 02-03-2014, 08:55 PM
User Info
My partner never gets me anything! Biggrin

83 21,109
 02-03-2014, 09:33 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Thanks for sharing guys!

I hope I didn't come off as sounding ungrateful...quite the opposite actually. Despite any biases I hold for my own purchases, I put all those away and smile with delight when I use anything she brought for me. My only dilemma comes in when I literally can't use a product for one reason or another.

Some soaps and A/S's have caused pretty bad reactions to the point I couldn't use them anymore. The GBS I got had serious shedding issues with the knot. I thought it was awesome that she was thoughtful and knew enough to actually look for a "silvertip" brush. I'm glad I'll be able to make that one useable again Smile

Another brush, an Escali pure, made my face quite raw with every shave to the point she even ordered me to discontinue using it. However, now my son loves playing with it and tries to imitate me when I'm shaving, so that $12 brush has become the most valuable brush in my den.

I just feel bad that a few things from her just sit in my cabinet. The stuff that I buy and don't like, I have no problems putting up on BST or even tossing them. But I can't do that to anything she got me Sad

34 1,627
 02-04-2014, 09:19 AM
User Info
I don't think anyone was finding fault with our SOs. The old adage, "it's the thought that counts", certainly rings true here. The only way each and every gift can be a hit is if you only buy what you're told to buy, or if your partner is dropping strong hints. I'd much rather receive a gift that she came up with on her own than one I heavily hinted at, regardless of how much I might use it. I might as well just buy the item myself in that case. Usually she does an awesome job, but not always.

Looking at it from the givers perspective, if I give her something she doesn't love, I'd much rather she tell me and exchange it rather than just use it out of guilt or obligation. That defeats the purpose of wanting to make her happy.

0 836
 02-04-2014, 04:57 PM
User Info
My wife absolutely rocks and supports my hobby. She has gotten me what I've asked for, but recently I've decided to not ask her for shaving stuff bc I know I might sell it ... Like I did with a sick straight razor she got me for our anniversary.

Another family member got me an Art of Shaving travel set, which was thoughtful, but not for me.

192 1,588