05-01-2012, 07:09 AM
User Info
Guys

I have had a pretty close call injury wise...

Managed to have a 6ft wrought iron railing panel drop across the front of my leg. One of the railing spikes tore into my thigh and has left me with a 6" gash - it went straight down to the bone, narrowly missing my femoral artery. I am now nursing a very painful and heavily stitched right leg and hobbling around like Long John Silver.....

So....any one else want to share any 'close calls'??

Gary

0 213
 05-01-2012, 07:31 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Ouch! Glad to hear it wasn't any worse.

My closest calls were all injury free, but nearly deadly. I nearly stumbled in front of a forklift which carrying a vat of molten aluminum. That'll wake you up in the morning.

10 1,858
 05-01-2012, 07:32 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Wishing you a speedy recovery, Gary. Damn, that had to hurt.

The only close call that I can remember was back in the early 70's. I was a zookeeper at the Dallas Zoo. I had a water buffalo charge me while I was cleaning out their area.

173 23,508
 05-01-2012, 07:42 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Ouch! I am glad you are well enough to be able to tell us about it...that could have been fatal. I hope you make a full recovery soon.

45 16,307
 05-01-2012, 07:43 AM
User Info
(05-01-2012, 07:31 AM)Songwind Wrote: Ouch! Glad to hear it wasn't any worse.

My closest calls were all injury free, but nearly deadly. I nearly stumbled in front of a forklift which carrying a vat of molten aluminum. That'll wake you up in the morning.

That's got to be a 'head back home and change underwear' kind of moment...

(05-01-2012, 07:32 AM)Johnny Wrote: Wishing you a speedy recovery, Gary. Damn, that had to hurt.

The only close call that I can remember was back in the early 70's. I was a zookeeper at the Dallas Zoo. I had a water buffalo charge me while I was cleaning out their area.

Johnny

At the time there was no pain, but I can tell you Mr. Pain may not have been attending the scene of the accident but he came knocking about 5hrs later, stayed for an evening meal, slept over, had breakfast and still won't leave my bloody house...

Gary

(05-01-2012, 07:42 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Ouch! I am glad you are well enough to be able to tell us about it...that could have been fatal. I hope you make a full recovery soon.

Phil

Thanks. Yeah I was lucky. As soon as I did it I actually phoned my wife because it went through my mind that I might bleed out from it. The 15 minute ride to the hospital seemed to be never ending.

At least when I am on holiday later in the year and wearing shorts onlookers can try to work out which rabid animal left me with the drastic scar!!

Gary

0 213
 05-01-2012, 07:53 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Vicodin is your friend. Trust me.

173 23,508
 05-01-2012, 08:00 AM
User Info
(05-01-2012, 07:53 AM)Johnny Wrote: Vicodin is your friend. Trust me.

I have found co-codamol sandwiches are hitting the spot...

0 213
 05-01-2012, 08:38 AM
User Info
I've had a few. When falling tamarack and pine snags on a Forest Service road job my falling partner made too shallow an undercut. A tamarack snag went over sideways and landed on a huge pine stump of the snag I had just cut. He hollered, I jumped down behind the stump, and the snag went right over me. I didn't get a scratch, but he didn't cut any more snags that day!

Hope you have a speedy recovery, Gary.

0 1,377
 05-01-2012, 08:40 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(05-01-2012, 07:43 AM)Gary Young Wrote:
(05-01-2012, 07:31 AM)Songwind Wrote: Ouch! Glad to hear it wasn't any worse.

That's got to be a 'head back home and change underwear' kind of moment...

- snip -

At least when I am on holiday later in the year and wearing shorts onlookers can try to work out which rabid animal left me with the drastic scar!!

Gary

Yep. As I recall I kind of tottered back into the maintenance office (where I had been working previously) and just stared at my hands for about 20 minutes.

I liked that job, and I met some interesting characters. But the company's policy of melting custom mixes of metal instead of buying smaller ingots in a melt-ready composition made any venture through the main thoroughfares an exercise in controlled terror.

Just remember, pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars. Wink

10 1,858
 05-01-2012, 12:20 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Gary, may you heal rapidly and completely.

2 11,211
 05-01-2012, 06:44 PM
User Info
Holy smokes, Gary! That is some experience, sir. i wish you a speedy recovery.
i had many close calls when i used to be a bicycle courier, here, in Vancouver for four years. There were many close calls where a speeding car just missed hitting me head on because they did not see me; had plenty of doors open without looking to see if on-coming traffic was approaching; hit a few, no serious injuries; had quite a few spills on icy days and sliding almost under oncoming cars;
all in a days work! However, all incomparable to your experience.
Good luck with the recovery.

75 20,883
 05-01-2012, 11:10 PM
User Info
Yikes... that sounds a little too close and a little to painful for comfort. I hope you recover soon, and will keep you in my thoughts.

Like Eric, none of my close calls have resulted in any bad injuries so far, just nicks and cuts at the worst. I've had my fair share of close shaves though - working around fighter jets on and off the flight line will make sure of that - but the most hair raising so far was while I was on my ToD in South Sudan;

We were on a Long Duration Patrol in the back of the beyond - after all, any route description in our AOO would start with the phrase "Take off the hard road...". Anyhow we were working up a village profile on a place which wasn't on our maps, getting names of the elders, number of people living there, the security situation... slow work, since everything is going through language assistants.

"Any known UXOs or mines near this place?"
Quite a bit of chatter in a local language, ending with one of the local kids taking off as if his feet were on fire. I looked at the LA, wondering what was up.
"They want to show us something they found when digging."
"Ah... probably a shell fragment or something."
"They don't know what is is, and want to know if we know."
So we sip some water, get onto other matters (the need for trained teachers for their under-a-tree-school, as far as I recall) and we're not really paying attention when a object not unlike a tin can bounces down by my feet. I lean forward and look down.
"Ah.. that is... oh... a Chinese bouncing mine with the fuse still attached. Could everyone please get up and leave this spot NOW?"

We directed EOD towards the village after our patrol. Their report stated that the mine had gone off by the time they got there, set off by a grazing goat. According to the head of the EOD team the villagers wanted the UN to pay for the goat, since my patrol hadn't brought the mine with us when we left...

3 3,562
 05-02-2012, 03:50 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Prayers, for healing and a speedy recovery.

1 3,507
 05-02-2012, 08:21 AM
User Info
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Had to head to A&E last night to have the cut on my lower leg checked for infection as I can now not put my foot down without shooting pain. Fortunately no infection so at least that was good news...

Am considering posting a photo of the 'pre-stitching' and 'post-stitching' but do not want to upset anyone's meal times! Wink

Gary

0 213
 05-02-2012, 09:09 AM
User Info
Gary - Wow, what a story.

I'm glad that you walked away (figuratively speaking)from such a dangerous accident. I'm sure I speak for many folks when I say how much I've enjoyed your personal accounts of earlier eras in shaving history.

The online community is a strange hybrid in that most of us will never meet each other in person, but there is a nebulous kind of bond that we share. Having said that you are a vital part of the wet shaving world.

I"m sure that the pain, tenderness and discomfort is annoying but I'm glad that you're still here to post your account. Good news about the lack of infection too.

I wish you a good recovery and encourage you to take the time to relax and resist the urge to push it along.

3 452
 05-02-2012, 10:12 AM
User Info
Robert

Thanks!

You have guys on here (Johnny!) who have so many years of wet shaving experience behind them that their knowledge of all aspects completely overshadows mine!

My 'injury' has come at a really difficult time for me business wise. We are extremely busy with numerous projects that need attention or completing before this year's Olympics. At the moment I am not very mobile - trying to get to grips with using a walking stick, which is something I haven't done since getting over a spinal cord tumour 15 years ago! Working from home covering contractual issues, etc is pretty easy but I really need to be 'on site'. Hopefully it will heal pretty quick!

Gary

0 213
 05-02-2012, 12:09 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Gary, you need one of these to get around in.

And if the terrain is to rough at the job site, get one of these.Smile

V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

173 23,508
 05-02-2012, 12:18 PM
User Info
Johnny

Bad leg or not, I want that 2nd one......

Gary

0 213
 05-02-2012, 01:28 PM
User Info
ROTFLMAO!!!

Better strap in! I bet it would make it up flights of stairs!!

Gary, the nice thing about the human body is that it's pretty tough and it heals. Mostly anyway, and better if you're young. It's still the pits getting injured. Get well soon.

Well, I suppose I've had a few of my own, not life threatening though. Well at least not the first severe injury. And believe it or not it wasn't when I was Superman (young), but older and wiser, but things have a way of catching up to you...

Maybe 20 years ago now I went out to my car to start it to warm it up one morning (I think that's what I was about anyway, it's been awhile). Anyway, we had rain that October night and after it cleared the temperature plummeted freezing the rain in place. The wife had already gone out and mentioned nothing, so I went out and long story made short, wound up grinding my right wrist against my rib cage turning it into something that looked like ground pepper on the x-ray. Months later and screws, erector set, and operation to rebreak it, more erector set and screws later, then rehab, firing my therapist and looking for another (she was treating me to be a cripple while I was fighting to gain the use of it). Story made short again, I have 90% use of it today. Far more than my Dr. predicted I would have, but I fought to get it back, or I was going to chop the thing off and get a hook of some sort. Maybe something that would allow me to shoot better. That was my motivation. I shoot competitively and if I couldn't shoot the damn arm was of no use to me.

The 2nd time I was at work and doing the job I retired from. I'd had enough of the lab work and decided to climb around one of the paper machines while it was running- that was the job. I was greasing a fitting on a filter, about 15' up in the air. I grabbed the jib boom I had grabbed hundreds of times and really yanked on it to test it, again, as I had done hundreds of times. I climbed up, did my job, and on the way down the jib boom broke away. I'm guessing I weakened it just enough when I tested it. I looked down as I was falling and had a choice of hitting a concrete containment or just falling on the concrete floor and having everything come down on top of me. I didn't much like the idea of a broken spine so I chose the latter. I did my best parachute landing fall I could pull off in the split second remaining. When I came to I had blood streaming out of my skull and a huge gash in it. The jib boom came down on top of me. If I wasn't a hard headed, heavy boned German I actually could have gotten seriously injured. The jib boom weighed 52#. I still have the neck pain from the injury, but the injured rotator cuff has healed. BTW, I jest about being hard headed,and heavy boned, but that's what caused my rotator cuff injury during the fall according to the surgeon who saw the MRI. There was no place for the tendons/ligaments what ever they are, to go (in some sort of hole in the shoulder) because the bones were so large.

But I'm still here annoying folks.

I've jumped out of planes and done all sorts of things that could have killed me and I'm still here. It's all gravy now.

32 6,309
 05-02-2012, 01:28 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(05-02-2012, 12:18 PM)Gary Young Wrote: Johnny

Bad leg or not, I want that 2nd one......

Gary

Actually, so do I. Bet I'd never have to worry about shopping carts blocking the aisles of my favorite supermarket again. Laughing1

2 11,211