05-02-2012, 01:49 PM
User Info
Wow! So sorry to hear of your suffering, but so happy to hear you'll be okay.

I have two closest calls, one scary and one lucky.

The lucky one was the incidental discovery about a hear and a half ago of a cancerous kidney tumor while being checked out for an unrelated medical issue. The cancer was able to be resented successfully and has not revisited (but leaving me with a nasty looking 10 inch scar).

The other was when I used to commute to MIT by bike in grad school in the mid 90's. While tooling down a busy street in Cambridge MA, someone opened their car door right in front of me sending me over the handlebars sprawling into the middle of the street. As I lay in the road, a city bus following right behind me swerved sharply into the opposing lane to miss me. I can still vividly picture the (Bridgestone) tire rolling past a couple of inches from my face. I never was able to track down that bus driver, but their lack of inattention has prolonged my life by about 19 years (so far).

0 419
 05-03-2012, 06:11 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(05-01-2012, 07:09 AM)Gary Young Wrote: I have had a pretty close call injury wise...

Hi Gary

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery...

While convalescing, put your feet up and enjoy the world snooker championships, something I now miss watching every year since moving away from Blighty.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 05-03-2012, 09:31 AM
User Info
(05-03-2012, 06:11 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(05-01-2012, 07:09 AM)Gary Young Wrote: I have had a pretty close call injury wise...

Hi Gary

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery...

While convalescing, put your feet up and enjoy the world snooker championships, something I now miss watching every year since moving away from Blighty.

Take care, Mike

Mike

Funnily enough mate that's what I have been doing today inbetween calls from work and the odd report to draw up.

Trouble is whenever I watch snooker it always makes me fall asleep....

Gary

0 213
 05-03-2012, 10:24 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Tell them it was a badger Gary that you were wrestling for hair. Then show them a brush and tell them you won!!!

116 3,804
 05-03-2012, 10:32 AM
User Info
Gary, that's a pretty close call, alright.

I've had several close calls over the years - mostly because of a combination of youth and stupidity.

One of the closest happened when I was in my mid teens. I was really into hiking and mountain climbing. I was pretty experienced at it, and rarely took any chances, but there was one occasion where a momentary lack of attention almost cost me my life.

I was on vacation, and went out for a long hike with a friend and my brother. My friend and I were pretty experienced at this, but my brother was not, so we chose a pretty safe route. I have yet to see a hill or mountain that I don't want to climb, and we pointed ourselves at a little hill range about 6 miles away. It was the height of the hot season and we were in an arid area - lots of trees and shrubs with no leaves, little grass, and the ground was baked hard and the surface was crumbly.......like natural ball-bearings.

So we get to the hills - a little over 1000 feet high (maybe up to 2000) is all. My friend and I surveyed the hills and we chose a possible path up. This was a hike, so we didn't have any climbing equipment. The plan was to turn back when it got too hard.

One of the cardinal rules when doing this in unknown territory is to make sure you can backtrack at all times. I was first up and making sure of this all the time.............and then I lost concentration for a moment. I climbed several metres and then looked up - no easy way up. I looked down, no way I was going back. So I yelled to the two guys behind me to stop, and I took stock of the situation. I told them to go back and go home, while I found my way up to the top (as going back would have been suicidal).

Using all my skill, I was able to make it to one of the peaks, and then I had to look for a way down. The day was far advanced, and I knew I'd lose light (entirely) soon, so I searched rapidly. The only way down that looked safe was a long route on the far side of the hill. I knew this would be bad, as I'd be in really unfamiliar territory and even further from where I wanted to be...and it would be dark.

Then I noticed that I could probably make it down from a neighbouring hill, as long as I was able to make my way to it. This meant going down a steep slope towards it. This slope was covered with the loose ball-bearing-like mud. I knew that it would only be a matter of moments before I started sliding uncontrollably, so I decided to slide from tree to tree.

It worked well, until I missed a tree and started sliding faster and faster. I trashed around, trying to get a hold of anything that would slow my descent, and I tore up my hands face and other bits of skin.....................and then my toes hit something hard. I stopped.

It was a small ledge of rock, about 3 inches wide.

Beyond that was a dry gully of a waterfall. Several hundred feet of sheer rock, ending in a rock basin below. 3 inches more.......

If I had gone over that I wouldn't be typing this today. Cold sweat doesn't being to describe the state I was in that day.

I was able to make my way safely over to the second hill, after that and I got to ground level just as it turned dark. I somehow made my way home in the pitch dark. I was all torn up by the shrubs and the incidents on the hills. Still, I was safe.

I cannot describe my thoughts as I was sliding down that slope, or when I saw the cliff I almost went over.

38 1,750
 05-03-2012, 11:32 AM
User Info
(05-03-2012, 10:24 AM)Dave Wrote: Tell them it was a badger Gary that you were wrestling for hair. Then show them a brush and tell them you won!!!

Laughing1

Guys

After reading all the detailed rundowns of your close calls I have concluded that my little mishap was pretty mundane compared to some of the escapades you have all been through.
I have also concluded that there are certain guys on here that I will not be getting into a car with.....Final Destination springs to mind.... Wink

Gary

0 213
 05-03-2012, 11:55 AM
User Info
When I was quite young I took flying lessons to try to cure my fear of heights. When I was returning from my first cross-country solo flight and crossing LAX, a Boeing 747 took off right in front of me. Since I had seen a film about the turbulence, called wingtip vortex, created by such large planes, I tried to batten down everything in my two-seater cabin. When it hit, my plane flipped upside down and fell 500 feet before I could right it. Then the engine, not designed for aerobatics, began to sputter, so I requested and got a straight-in landing at my home field, with fire trucks standing by. Needless to say, the experience did not cure my fear.

232 13,594
 05-04-2012, 03:41 PM
User Info
Get well soon, Gary. I saw the "after" pic on your Twitter. Not pretty.

I've been very fortunate to be unharmed, except for my pride, during my "adventures". A few spectacular car crashes including a rollover, my ATV slid sideways into a tree and I was knocked unconscious, a snowmobile crash into a snow-drift covered very deep sand trap on a golf course where I was thrown over the handlebars and landed head-first in a snow drift. Confused

I live a much safer life now Cool

1 77
 05-04-2012, 06:18 PM
User Info
Gee, my misadventures sound pretty mild compared to some of y'all's!

Though I've been interested to note, during my few close calls, how my mind continues to work coolly and distantly while my body panics.

One time my sister-in-law's horse threw her down and commenced crow-hopping right on top of her. I remember the cold fear inside me as my mule backed away - hoping that he wouldn't panic - and a calm inner voice saying "Well, Chris is dead. I guess we won't be trail riding today." And then the calm voice - very slowly it felt like - decided that perhaps I should do something. "What do people do in cases like this? Oh, yes, shout for help..." Though it didn't actually take very long (and by great good luck, her injuries were relatively minor).

Then a few weeks later, that same placid mule decided that he didn't want to go riding, and stepped out from under me. I seemed to hang half-off him, overbalanced, for the longest time. I started screaming quite forcefully, though the calm voice was saying to me "Why am I screaming? It can't do a bit of good, nobody is in reach." But I kept on screaming until I hit the ground. Didn't spook the mule a bit - he waited politely for me to finish falling, and then walked off to the barn.

After that, I decided riding was best left to the young!

0 11