02-04-2014, 09:59 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
This is a video made by Tom Owens. He is the owner of Sweet Marias. Here he demonstrates an introduction to home roasting. He is using a Pop corn popper . The popper was purchased in a thrift shop for $3

an admin edited your video so it'll show in the post

68 1,047
 02-05-2014, 10:19 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Thanks for this Barry. I'm curious for those that have tried this method - how does coffee roasted in a popcorn popper compare to coffee roasted in a hottop, Behmor, etc.?

27 860
 02-07-2014, 12:41 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Pros of corn popper. Cheap and fast.
Cons: no control over ramp, plastic melts eventually, small yield and no cooling ability. Roasters do these things automatically.
Ramp temperature can be achieved with a simple split wire modification. The corn popper runs the heat and fan off one switch. The wire can be spliced into and a separate wire run to the fan. Then on line rheostats (light dimmer switches) are added. Now the current can be modified to the heat sources. The operator now has some control over the ramp and the price is still cheap.
How does it roast as compared to some plug and play roasters? Roasting is an art. In the hands of an experienced good roaster, at least as good, as plug and plays. It's a good way to learn the art. A screw up with it does not waste much coffee. Burning it up does not waste much money. Furthermore it is a cheap entry way to see if you even enjoy the process.

68 1,047
 02-11-2014, 04:08 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I started a few years ago on one of those popcorn poppers...from watching that exact video. As a matter of fact, I bought that exact popper he was using off ebay...I paid ~$25 however, not $3. Either way it was a cheap way to start that obsession Biggrin

Great summary, Barrylu!

34 1,628
 02-12-2014, 07:20 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
(02-11-2014, 04:08 PM)Giorgio Wrote: I started a few years ago on one of those popcorn poppers...from watching that exact video. As a matter of fact, I bought that exact popper he was using off ebay...I paid ~$25 however, not $3. Either way it was a cheap way to start that obsession Biggrin

Great summary, Barrylu!

Hah, that's all I need. I have plenty and I think that I'm fairly content buying roasts from those that know what they're doing rather than annoy my wife with a new obsession...and one that has the potential to smoke up the house for hours! Having said that, I do like learning about the process as it makes me appreciate some of the nuances that go into roasting coffees and makes me a much more informed consumer.

27 860
 02-12-2014, 03:26 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
The obsession part isn't bad (at least for me). It's very different from my wet shaving obsession, which seems to involve many more purchases to cater to the variety and combinations I seem to think I need at the time Rolleyes

Once I got my Behmor, I actually found myself quite content. My obsession with roasting is more around what Barrylu eluded to, which is the art of roasting...getting each roast just the way I want it. Learning the behaviors of each bean from each region, exactly what the best roast set up is for it, which brewing technique is best and that whole formula, and so on... .

Yes, roasting will smell up the house. I happen to like the scent, and my wife is inconsistent in her opinions of it, so I just ask her if she minds me roasting that day. When the weather is nice I set it up outside on my patio. In the winter I'll roast in the house, but sometimes I'll go to the garage when I know I'm going for a dark roast (versus my usual City to Full City). The air popper method not only has the smell of the coffee, but also the mess from the chaff, which always seemed to happen no matter what I did.

I can definitely see the your point with leaving it to the professionals...I thought the same for many years. In the end, curiosity got the best of me Biggrin!

34 1,628
 06-07-2014, 05:28 AM
User Info
I, too have been home roasting with the Behmor 1600 for about two years now.
[Image: iEkUuOT.jpg]
I will never go back to purchasing pre-roasted beans. The green bean selection at Sweet Maria's is extensive AND, Tom will never sell inferior beans.
I roast in two different batches: For me, I drink espresso, which I make in my Rancilio espresso machine.
[Image: 2MLWctQ.jpg]
I enjoy SM's Espresso Monkey. I can get a fantastic Vienna Roast with the Behmor, if I "trick" the machine. I roast 350 grams of beans, but program the machine for a 1lb roast. (Setting 1). For my wife, she enjoys lighter roasts, so it's easy to get a FC-FC+ with the Behmor, which, BTW, has fantastic customer service. I recommend patronizing Tom at Sweet Maria's and Joe, at Behmor.com.
My coffee obsession was quelled after beginning my home roasting.
Enjoy the day everyone. Smile

39 3,876
 06-07-2014, 06:01 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
The second generation Behmor is about to be released.
http://www.sweetmarias.com/library/weblo...us-roaster

68 1,047
 06-07-2014, 07:44 AM
User Info
(06-07-2014, 06:01 AM)Barrylu Wrote: The second generation Behmor is about to be released.
http://www.sweetmarias.com/library/weblo...us-roaster

This is very cool that we can swap out the panel for the upgrade. Having replaced the main panel, (the technical help from Behmor is outstanding) I feel confident that the swap will be very simple.
Thanks for the update.
~~~
primo

39 3,876
 07-07-2014, 10:35 AM
User Info
I do not approve of his methods, it is better to stick to the regular way of roasting

0 62
 07-08-2014, 07:52 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(07-07-2014, 10:35 AM)slonenek25 Wrote: I do not approve of his methods, it is better to stick to the regular way of roasting

You don't approve of whose methods? Of Tom's methods? What is the regular way of roasting?

I've been home roasting with a Behmor 1600 for two and half years and my coffee has never been better.

8 1,289
 03-14-2015, 02:51 AM
User Info
I've been home roasting with a galloping gourmet convection oven lid sitting on a stir fry corn popper for 10 years with great results.  repeatable profiles, lots of different beans and roasts......cheap setup, can do a lb at a time.  Highly recommended.

0 33
 09-22-2015, 10:41 AM
User Info
I would love a Behmor.  Although to first get started I will probably just get a stovetop popcorn popper.  Once I get the basics down I would love to tinker with a couple of heat guns and try to get a fluid bed roaster up and running.

0 47
 01-10-2016, 10:25 AM
User Info
i get my beer and wine stuff from morebeer.com.  I know they sell a good range of coffee beans and roasters.  it is worth checking them out

0 134
 01-10-2016, 10:47 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
My grandmom told me they used to roast beans using just a pan. If I get my hands on some green beans I will ask her to teach me and see if its useful for newer brewing methods than Turkish Coffee. Anybody tried this?

0 1,053