02-05-2014, 03:20 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
that the larger blade manufacturers are looking to shut down production for good on double edge blades sooner or later. According to sources on the internet I've found, it's just not profitable enough for them. Most of the articles and postings which I read that were making these statements are from several years ago and the logistics and costs to vast numbers of men in countries like India and China make it seem improbable to me but as soon as I can locate ample storage room in Casa de la Mouser ( and convince SWMBO to end the moratorium ) I'm going to start stockpiling.

7 2,328
 02-05-2014, 05:01 AM
User Info
That shouldn't come as a shock but it does. I hope Personna wouldn't be effected.

0 295
 02-05-2014, 05:29 AM
User Info
Rumours like those run through the forums for quite some years...

Personally, I don't give them much credit.

2 5,547
 02-05-2014, 05:40 AM
User Info
Allot of blades are made for industrial use & are made in vast quantities. Cartridge blades made be more profitable but DE blades are much cheaper to manufacture & ship.
Also cartridge blades would not be suitable for most industrial & medical applications. Also many modern industrial blades are the same quality as shaving blades, so the worst case scenario is that you would have to buy blades in slightly less attractive packaging.

1 164
 02-05-2014, 08:22 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
That was the big scare rumor when the Gillette Guard was first coming out. The good thing about DE blades is that there are different independent manufactures, so even in the unlikely event that say Gillette shut down the Russian plant there would still others around the world that can crank out blades. Most likely if blades ever do go away it will be a slow declining process and not an overnight panic situation.
But blades are cheap enough so if you have one you like no reason not to stockpile them Smile

2 517
 02-05-2014, 09:26 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Time to learn to shave with a straight razor, if you are worried. Totally future proof. I am working on it myself, but it's slow going with the convenience of DE. Still, if the DE blades were to disappear it would only encourage me to take up straight razor shaving in earnest. I will not yield to the cartridge insanity if I can help it.

Having said that, I am pretty certain DE blades will remain a reality for some time. If not made by Gillette or Personna (my two favorites), then some other smaller manufacturer will step in to fill the gap. I am pretty sure that great numbers of men still use DE blades. Just not in the western world, perhaps.

26 1,739
 02-05-2014, 11:21 AM
User Info
This rumor may have started on the BruceOnShaving.com blog. The release of the cheap, disposable, single-blade Gillette Guard added to the rumor. My sense is that there is still a large market for DE blades which will remain viable for the foreseeable future. However, having a huge stash of blades is fun, so it's fine to hoard them.

50 6,115
 02-06-2014, 02:41 AM
User Info
The rumors have been around for years. They make no sense to me. India alone has 450 million shavers who use DE blades. They continue to use DE blades because they are the least expensive alternative on the market. The Gillette Guard has been a huge success for P&G in India. There are 50 million Guard users in India. The Guard has a long way to go before it reigns supreme in India. The number 450 million is a big number. Keep in mind it doesn't even take into account other high population areas of the world where DE razors dominate the market such as China, Pakistan, the countries of Africa and South America. It seems that there must be more than a billion DE shavers in the world today.

The factory in St. Petersburg, Russia makes almost 1 billion razor blades each year. They make the expensive, high end blades. The Polsilver SI, for example, at 25 cents/blade is wildly expensive for most citizens of the world. Billions of inexpensive blades are pumped out of factories in India and China.

Our perspective is totally backwards. We look at wet shaving with a DE blade as a niche market in a world dominated by the Gillette fusion. In fact, DE razor blades still dominate the world market. In fact it is the Fusion that satisfies the niche market of the wealthy industrialized west.

I, for one, am not worried about DE razor blades disappearing anytime soon.

2 63
 02-06-2014, 03:00 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Glad to have my thoughts reinforced. Shouldn't even have brought it up.

7 2,328
 02-06-2014, 03:12 AM
User Info
that 450 million males in india use de blades is highly unlikely. that would include absolutely all males from 14 years and up. i think you safely can cut that number in half - taking into account all those that have beard/use straights/trim with scissors/use elecric/don't shave at all.

i'm also curious to learn where i can read about india's 50 million guard users Wink

7 1,624
 02-06-2014, 04:37 AM
User Info
I got my information from a Yahoo story sourced from the AP. About half way down the article they refer to the 500 million Indians who use double edge razors and then in the very last paragraph the article states that the P&G Guard now has 9% of the market(to make it easier I rounded up to 50 million people or 10%).

http://news.yahoo.com/cheap-razor-made-p...nance.html

Cheers

2 63
 02-06-2014, 05:47 AM
User Info
If the females of that part of the world are regular shavers, perhaps that might account for the larger numbers.

24 1,226
 02-06-2014, 07:09 PM
User Info
I'll have to stock. I'll grab this BIN of my favorite blade:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-000-PLATINUM-...4619655776

2 97
 02-06-2014, 08:19 PM
User Info
At one blade per week, that's 384 years of shaves.Biggrin

24 1,226
 02-07-2014, 02:03 AM
User Info
(02-06-2014, 05:47 AM)brothers Wrote: If the females of that part of the world are regular shavers, perhaps that might account for the larger numbers.

haha - but i don't think so. when i lived in india i did not find that to be the case Wink i'm sure one of our indian members can chime in and explain Undecided

in regards to p&g's claim of having 45 individual guard users i'm pretty sure the truth is 45 million blades a year - and that boils down to perhaps 4 million users...?

7 1,624