02-05-2014, 04:47 AM
User Info
Hi All,

I've always wanted a straight razor and now i finally have one Biggrin however i bought from a antiques center blindly as i know nothing about them, originally i wanted to just keep it as a collectors item having various other bits but i cant resist the temptation to get it in working order and use it as it is intended.

I've took a few pictures as it has some discoloration and some marks near the point and i'm not sure what to do I've read all over sites about sanding both by and hand with tools but i'm a little hesitant. Any advice how i can get this blade back to its former glory and maintain it would be great.

Thanks

[img][Image: OrkOyPO.jpg][/img]
[img][Image: KehjPzo.jpg][/img][img][Image: hToIZHA.jpg][/img][img][Image: 62VC8rm.jpg][/img][img][Image: I7Orhpi.jpg][/img]

0 5
 02-05-2014, 05:56 AM
User Info
There's a fair amount of hone wear including being honed out at the toe, those rust marks will leave pit marks for sure, If you are doing this yourself then take a look at my link, if you are thinking of sending your razor to a restorer I will say don't bother you would be better off keeping the money it would cost to restore the razor and adding it to buy yourself a better straight razor. http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/in...ng_a_blade

11 1,940
 02-05-2014, 07:13 AM
User Info
so from reading your link sounds like lots of elbow grease, but looks well worth it. If i was to follow the process on mine could i get it to being usable or do you recommend just getting a new one.

also this might be a stupid question, i know honing is sharpening the blade but what do you mean "honed out at the toe" how would that effect the shave and is it correctable.

Thanks

0 5
 02-05-2014, 08:12 AM
User Info
What I mean by being honed out the toe that's the front or leading edge of the razor, through excessive honing of the razor through the years you will notice where the razor once had an equal width along it's entire edge it is now more narrow towards the front of the blade, here's a Kropp I restored and rescaled notice how equal the blade is compared to yours.

[Image: 002-5_zpsf63dadf0.jpg~original]

11 1,940
 02-05-2014, 10:11 AM
User Info
Thanks for the advice Biggrin i think i'll have a go at restoring this one as more of a practice while on the look out for another.

For the future what things do i need to look out for when buying an older razor.

Thanks

0 5
 02-06-2014, 07:50 AM
User Info
Look for even blade width across the length.
No chips along the edge which can at times hide cracks. Also look for minimal hone wear along the spine where it would lay on a stone while sharpening.
Some pitting is acceptable to some but none is best if you're looking for a complete restore.
If there is pitting don't consider a blade if there is pits along the edge as it'll make it difficult to get a good edge later.
Your best bet is to find one with some patina or general dull looking so your efforts will make a noticeable improvement as you gain skills in restoring a blade.
Also , if you don't have the tools/skills to make scales ( they can be bought ) look for one with solid scales that would polish up fairly easily to produce a nice useable razor.

0 777
 02-06-2014, 08:21 AM
User Info
Thanks, are there any makes I should avoid or keep an eye out for.

0 5
 02-06-2014, 08:55 AM
User Info
I would just sharpen it and give it a go. Make sure there aren't any holes in the edge caused by the rust that's nearby (should be okay by the photos).

(02-06-2014, 08:21 AM)Stownsend01 Wrote: Thanks, are there any makes I should avoid or keep an eye out for.

You could go after the sought after brands and pay a lot of money, or you could go after a more numerous and not popular brand that will give you the same performance for a fraction of the price.

Most American brands fall under that category. Only Shuredge has any collectors I know of after them. AFAIK. Pretty much any German brand should give you good shaves too.

9 3,036
 02-06-2014, 09:21 AM
User Info
Thanks for all the advice guys and sorry for all the questions I do have one more though Angel, what make do you guys recommend for A) sand paper and B) Metal polish also where could I get them from In UK I've had a look at the bog standard DIY shops and they just don't have the right grit sandpaper.

Thanks

0 5