05-01-2012, 08:02 AM
User Info
Having recently joined the forum, I've been reading quite a bit and I have just came to think.

I can shave daily with DE's for about 3 months without repeating a single razor, and I have never tried a SE !!

From several threads I can see that I am missing something, so just decided to give SE a try. So I have to initial questions ...

Not far from my house this Shick is for sale ...

[Image: schick.jpg]

I don't have a clue as to the model, nor its shaving characteristics, although I have seen Schick cartridges for sale in supermarkets.

How is this for a start ? Any pointers?

I do have an old Valet (couldn't resist not buying it for 5€) but never got around to look for the blades.

[Image: set.jpg]

[Image: strop2.jpg]

The head flip cap has three little stubs intended for use with propietary blades. Are this blades still available?

[Image: Heabopen.jpg]

Best,

Tony

0 68
 05-01-2012, 08:26 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(05-01-2012, 08:02 AM)Tony SC Wrote: Having recently joined the forum, I've been reading quite a bit and I have just came to think.

I can shave daily with DE's for about 3 months without repeating a single razor, and I have never tried a SE !!

From several threads I can see that I am missing something, so just decided to give SE a try. So I have to initial questions ...

Not far from my house this Shick is for sale ...

[Image: schick.jpg]

I don't have a clue as to the model, nor its shaving characteristics, although I have seen Schick cartridges for sale in supermarkets.

How is this for a start ? Any pointers?

I do have an old Valet (couldn't resist not buying it for 5€) but never got around to look for the blades.

[Image: set.jpg]

[Image: strop2.jpg]

The head flip cap has three little stubs intended for use with propietary blades. Are this blades still available?

[Image: Heabopen.jpg]

Best,

Tony

I'm sure you will love the Schick. They were my "gateway" to SE shaving.

The Valet is beautiful! What a find! Yours is a different model than the one I had, but I could use slightly modified regular SE blades in mine.
From what I hear from others, the Feather SE blades work as-is in all Valet Autostrops. Razorblades and More carry them online.

http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/conten...lades-5pcs

0 911
 05-01-2012, 04:07 PM
User Info
Can't help with the Injector.

Nice looking AS, great photography. I'm pretty sure that's a VC3 or VC4 Autostrop.

Find out more about your Autostrop here: Autostrop review and indentification

Eventually I need to bring those reviews onto this forum.

It's a good relatively mild shave (for SE). Feather SE blades fit it. Forget about stropping blades. It's a waste of time IMO. Blades are cheap; use 'em and can em. You should be able to get at least 7 shaves from a Feather SE blade, and maybe many more.

32 6,308
 05-01-2012, 10:08 PM
User Info
The Schick injector razor pictured is a type E, an excellent shaver, and a bit more aggressive than the later models.

I use a Schick E2 most every day, and get 7-10 close, comfortable shaves with current production injector blades. Smile

0 1,377
 05-02-2012, 10:50 AM
User Info
Thanks for the information, SE's are a new world for me ... don't know yet if that's good or bad Undecided

That's a great bunch of good information you put together Brian . Thanks ! Getting those Feather blades may delay a bit, but I certainly will give the Valet a try.

Far easier it to try the Schick. It's already home and it is now on the spa treatment. I am eager to shave with it.

0 68
 05-02-2012, 12:57 PM
User Info
It's an enjoyable shave if you figure out how to get the blades installed correctly. Take your time and don't leap into the shave before you're sure it's right. When you close everything up be sure the blade stays aligned.

It's been awhile since I've shaved with a VC4 (I think that's what you have, I didn't check) but the blade loading is the biggest trick. IMO it's a fairly mild razor as SE razors go. It's not Featherweight or HFT (G-Bar) mild, but it is mild. That is, if the blade is installed correctly. It can be very aggressive if it isn't installed correctly.

They definitely make shaving interesting. Have fun!

If you decide you like it look for a VC1 or earlier. You can put a modifed modern GEM blade in those for inexpensive shaving ($.25 vs $1).

BTW, because of this thread I used my VC1 this morning. It's a great shaver; close, and I doubt I could cut myself if I tried, but an easy BBS nonetheless.

32 6,308
 05-02-2012, 01:19 PM
User Info
Thanks for the advice Brian, I'll keep it in mind. I do have about 8 original blades, those with the Valet name hollowed out to fit the pins. Pitty they are not usable.

I'll report back whenever I get the blades and shave with it.

0 68