02-05-2014, 09:04 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I got someone interested in joining the ranks. I've got him covered on brush and software, but to be honest, forgot what the good starting DE would be. Tech, New, Adjustable, EJ89?
I know, I know, not a normal question from seasoned veteran, but I thought it'd be better to ask and get him started right Wink

88 4,233
 02-05-2014, 10:21 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Steve, I think I Tech, Adjustable, or EJ89 would all be good. I, personally, used a Tech almost exclusively for over three years.

I'm not sure of the difference between a Gillette NEW and New, but I experienced the NEW as extremely aggressive. I think a milder razor is better for learning.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-05-2014, 10:26 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
I think an R89/EJ89 is a can't miss suggestion for a lot of reasons, the biggest being that it's a solid performer that delivers a mild shave and isn't as dependent on shave technique as other razors. Also, they can be had both new and used so there's one for every budget without having to worry about restoring or overcoming other issues affecting vintage razors. Finally, once your buddy is hooked, there will be plenty if time for the eBay/thrift shop/antique mall excursions to feed his inevitable RAD where there are techs aplenty.

27 860
 02-05-2014, 11:10 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Thanks Murray and Oscar, I was leaning towards EJ, I thought Tech was even milder, but I don't remember.

88 4,233
 02-05-2014, 11:51 PM
User Info
I think a Gillette adjustable would do fine. It's easily Tech mild, but if/when he wants a more aggressive shave it can be dialed up. They can be quite affordable also.

32 6,445
 02-06-2014, 12:22 AM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
User Info
Steve, the Tech is definitely milder than the EJ.

I like something a little more aggressive now (but not by a lot), but the Tech is the razor that made it all possible for me. I started with a Merkur Classic Long Handle that was too aggressive for me. When I switched to a Weishi (super mild) and the Tech (similarly mild), my shaves got better and learning accelerated.

The EJ is a little more aggresive than I would want to start with, myself, but many new shavers have done very well with it and you can buy one new.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-06-2014, 12:38 AM
User Info
(02-06-2014, 12:22 AM)CMur12 Wrote: The EJ is a little more aggresive than I would want to start with, myself, but many new shavers have done very well with it and you can buy one new.

- Murray

Have you used the EJ head lately? They're pretty darn tame IMO. I might be in the minority here but I almost feel like they're NOT a good razor to start with as I feel like they almost need a touch of pressure to shave. I find myself pressing when using an 89 head or my tech. I'm finding the Weber PH to be right around a perfect balance of tame but effective. What I'm trying to get at is they're almost technique killers to me. Maybe an EJ head with a bulldog handle would be better? I'd be more inclined to have someone begin on a 34c. But take that with a grain of salt, I'm still relatively noobish.

Something like slim adjustable wouldn't be a bad idea either as long as you have the restraint to set it around a 3 or 4 and leave it there until you get your technique down. I bought one and hadn't used it much so I pulled it out today and set it at 8 - GREAT shave.

12 848
 02-06-2014, 03:46 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
[Image: SulqUV7.png]

Merkur 42C 1904

Inexpensive (under $30)
Looks good (modelled after a classic 1904 Gillette)
Very forgiving and a decent shave

I used mine today to touch up after a straight razor shave...

99 18,011
 02-06-2014, 04:35 AM
User Info
I would go with a 50s/early 60s Gillette Super Speed. IMHO - nice razors, reasonably priced.

21 751
 02-06-2014, 01:46 PM
  • UnCL3
  • Dallas, TexUS
User Info
(02-06-2014, 03:46 AM)ben74 Wrote: [Image: SulqUV7.png]

Merkur 42C 1904

Inexpensive (under $30)
Looks good (modelled after a classic 1904 Gillette)
Very forgiving and a decent shave

I used mine today to touch up after a straight razor shave...
+1
The Open Comb version of this one is a great shaver, too. Fairly mild for an OC; you hardly notice it mowing down the growth. DFS every time.

3 61
 02-06-2014, 02:02 PM
User Info
I am not sure why more folks don't offer this as a suggestion, but I think the Merkur Progress is the best DE razor for a newbie to start off with as it can be one of the mildest to begin with and then with confidence and time, they can adjust it to their desired aggression without needing another razor. Biggrin

82 21,056
 02-06-2014, 02:17 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
User Info
(02-06-2014, 12:38 AM)ShaneN. Wrote:
(02-06-2014, 12:22 AM)CMur12 Wrote: The EJ is a little more aggresive than I would want to start with, myself, but many new shavers have done very well with it and you can buy one new.

- Murray

Have you used the EJ head lately? They're pretty darn tame IMO. I might be in the minority here but I almost feel like they're NOT a good razor to start with as I feel like they almost need a touch of pressure to shave. I find myself pressing when using an 89 head or my tech. I'm finding the Weber PH to be right around a perfect balance of tame but effective. What I'm trying to get at is they're almost technique killers to me. Maybe an EJ head with a bulldog handle would be better? I'd be more inclined to have someone begin on a 34c. But take that with a grain of salt, I'm still relatively noobish.

Something like slim adjustable wouldn't be a bad idea either as long as you have the restraint to set it around a 3 or 4 and leave it there until you get your technique down. I bought one and hadn't used it much so I pulled it out today and set it at 8 - GREAT shave.

Shane, the EJ is still a bit more aggressive than I want to use on a steady basis. Just about perfect for me at this point is a Merkur Progress/Mergress at minimum setting.

I might also add that I make a wet lather, for maximal glide and minimal cushion, to complement the shaving characteristics of a mild razor. My impression is that most of the wetshavers on these forums seek cushion in their lather, and in that case I think you have to use a more aggressive razor. I find that it is cushion that impedes the cut and requires one to apply pressure to the razor.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-06-2014, 02:39 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(02-06-2014, 02:02 PM)celestino Wrote: I am not sure why more folks don't offer this as a suggestion, but I think the Merkur Progress is the best DE razor for a newbie to start off with as it can be one of the mildest to begin with and then with confidence and time, they can adjust it to their desired aggression without needing another razor. Biggrin

Maybe folks don't want me spending a lot of money on a friend Biggrin

88 4,233
 02-06-2014, 02:49 PM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
(02-05-2014, 11:51 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I think a Gillette adjustable would do fine. It's easily Tech mild, but if/when he wants a more aggressive shave it can be dialed up. They can be quite affordable also.

Same here... I started with a adjustable too.

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk

4 447
 02-06-2014, 02:59 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I think Merkur Progress is the perfect razor for a newb because it can start mild as a lamb and grow with the technique to pretty darned aggressive with infinite setting in between. It is one of the best DE shavers out there and great to learn on given the newb doesn't play with adjustments, but just starts on 2 or something (about Merkur 34C/EJ DE89 level) and learn. Once the learning curve is overcome the itch for a more aggressive shave will not require more spending. Just dial the Progress up a bit and you have a new excellent shaver. Way better than Gillette adjustable, IMO.

26 1,736
 02-06-2014, 03:03 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(02-06-2014, 02:59 PM)vferdman Wrote: I think Merkur Progress is the perfect razor for a newb because it can start mild as a lamb and grow with the technique to pretty darned aggressive with infinite setting in between. It is one of the best DE shavers out there and great to learn on given the newb doesn't play with adjustments, but just starts on 2 or something (about Merkur 34C/EJ DE89 level) and learn. Once the learning curve is overcome the itch for a more aggressive shave will not require more spending. Just dial the Progress up a bit and you have a new excellent shaver. Way better than Gillette adjustable, IMO.

You guys are killing me, sounds logical Biggrin

88 4,233
 02-06-2014, 06:53 PM
User Info
Now that the Progress has been chosen, I personally prefer the long handle version. Not sure what you prefer or his hand size. Now it could cost you a little extra. Cool

2 97
 02-06-2014, 07:00 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(02-06-2014, 06:53 PM)Zondervan Wrote: Now that the Progress has been chosen, I personally prefer the long handle version. Not sure what you prefer or his hand size. Now it could cost you a little extra. Cool

I actually think that shorter handle = more control = easier to learn, and that's the goal Wink

88 4,233
 02-06-2014, 11:19 PM
User Info
(02-06-2014, 02:02 PM)celestino Wrote: I am not sure why more folks don't offer this as a suggestion, but I think the Merkur Progress is the best DE razor for a newbie to start off with as it can be one of the mildest to begin with and then with confidence and time, they can adjust it to their desired aggression without needing another razor. Biggrin

I noticed house of knives in the malls around us sell the progress. I might have to pick one up and try it, I've heard nothing but good things about them. I really prefer the look of the mergress more though.

12 848
 02-07-2014, 03:49 AM
User Info
parker 22r.
[Image: HR_401-064-00_parker_butterfly_brass_22r_340x255.jpg]

4 309