02-05-2014, 09:18 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
My first 100 order of Personna med preps were a delight. I have since (about one year ago) bought a box of 250 med preps from a medical supplier (Robbinson?). They have not been nearly as smooth. Has anyone else experienced something like this; i.e., where Personna's QC is inconsistent on the med preps?

1 795
 02-05-2014, 11:59 PM
User Info
Not med preps, but labs... I recently bought 2 boxes of labs from the b/s/t. In the past I found no difference between the labs and med preps. But these labs are the pits. I thought it might be me so I went back to my SE razors for a time, then loaded a med prep into the Muhle and got my same great shaves out of the combo.

I hope their QC hasn't gone downhill.

The labs are so bad I thought they might be counterfeit.

32 6,445
 02-06-2014, 07:52 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Ted, I have recently started to experience this very thing. I started my shave with a new Med Prep yesterday and ended up switching it out with a Feather blade to finish the shave.

This morning I thought I would try another new Med Prep and pulled one out of the middle of the box. Same thing. I knew after just two strokes I could not use the blade. I used the Feather I used yesterday and finished up.

I may have to switch back to Feather blades.

175 23,752
 02-06-2014, 08:54 AM
User Info
My first batch of these blades weren't very good and I ended up trading them. It sounds like they are inconsistent in quality, which is a complete deal breaker for me.

I'd rather have a blade that always gives me a good 3 shaves than a blade that sometimes gives me 7 and sometimes gives me 1.

12 1,247
 02-06-2014, 10:24 AM
User Info
I have been using the labs for the last few months and have been enjoying it and so far all the blades perform wonderfully. Would the inconsistencies of blade manufacturing be a reason to stock up on blades that we enjoy since we never know what the quality would be like in the future?

16 457
 02-06-2014, 10:51 AM
User Info
I've been using med. preps. for years and have never had a problem with one.

9 1,203
 02-06-2014, 02:40 PM
User Info
Have you checked to see of these blades have the "hospital use" language stamped on them? Last year I placed my first order for these blades with Robbins Instruments and what I received did not have this stamped on them. I found the blades rough and then it was found that Robbins had received an incorrect order from the factory and what they had sent me were the Lab blades that don't have the "for hospital Use" language. Robbins exchanged the blades for the correct ones that did have this language and I found these blades much smoother than the first ones I had received.
I just received a new order from Robbins but haven't used any of them yet. I'll try one this weekend and see what I find but it could be that that another mix up has occurred.

44 486
 02-06-2014, 06:45 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(02-06-2014, 02:40 PM)AFG008 Wrote: Have you checked to see of these blades have the "hospital use" language stamped on them? Last year I placed my first order for these blades with Robbins Instruments and what I received did not have this stamped on them. I found the blades rough and then it was found that Robbins had received an incorrect order from the factory and what they had sent me were the Lab blades that don't have the "for hospital Use" language. Robbins exchanged the blades for the correct ones that did have this language and I found these blades much smoother than the first ones I had received.
I just received a new order from Robbins but haven't used any of them yet. I'll try one this weekend and see what I find but it could be that that another mix up has occurred.

Yes they do have "for hospital use" on the blade, although somewhat blurry. I still smell a rat.

1 795
 02-06-2014, 07:14 PM
User Info
(02-06-2014, 07:52 AM)Johnny Wrote: Ted, I have recently started to experience this very thing. I started my shave with a new Med Prep yesterday and ended up switching it out with a Feather blade to finish the shave.

This morning I thought I would try another new Med Prep and pulled one out of the middle of the box. Same thing. I knew after just two strokes I could not use the blade. I used the Feather I used yesterday and finished up.

Johnny,

I bought a box of PMP from you not too long ago and they're fine blades.

9 1,203
 02-06-2014, 07:19 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(02-06-2014, 07:14 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote:
(02-06-2014, 07:52 AM)Johnny Wrote: Ted, I have recently started to experience this very thing. I started my shave with a new Med Prep yesterday and ended up switching it out with a Feather blade to finish the shave.

Johnny,

I sold you the wrong box. BiggrinBiggrinBiggrin

175 23,752
 02-06-2014, 07:21 PM
User Info
(02-06-2014, 07:19 PM)Johnny Wrote:

Johnny,

Now it all makes sense..Ha!

9 1,203
 02-06-2014, 07:21 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(02-06-2014, 07:19 PM)Johnny Wrote:

Johnny,

46 18,073
 02-06-2014, 07:27 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I just pulled a couple of the used blades out of my recycle container and noticed something very strange. The blades that did not perform well for me were thicker than the others I have been using. I put a new Med Prep in the razor just now and will use it in the morning.

175 23,752
 02-06-2014, 07:57 PM
User Info
(02-06-2014, 07:27 PM)Johnny Wrote: I just pulled a couple of the used blades out of my recycle container and noticed something very strange. The blades that did not perform well for me were thicker than the others I have been using. I put a new Med Prep in the razor just now and will use it in the morning.

Noticably thicker? Like 2 stuck together thicker?

9 1,203
 02-06-2014, 08:09 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(02-06-2014, 07:57 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote:
(02-06-2014, 07:27 PM)Johnny Wrote: I just pulled a couple of the used blades out of my recycle container and noticed something very strange. The blades that did not perform well for me were thicker than the others I have been using. I put a new Med Prep in the razor just now and will use it in the morning.

Noticeably thicker? Like 2 stuck together thicker?

Almost like 1 & 1/4 stuck together. Noticably thicker/stiffer.

175 23,752
 02-06-2014, 08:43 PM
User Info
I gave up on these a long time ago because of the inconsistency with the blades. I just could never seem to get a good shave with them. Good luck to you, gentlemen!

Randy, I just think your Rooneys have pampered your face somehow to allow you to use ANY blade without detriment! Biggrin

82 21,056
 02-06-2014, 09:26 PM
User Info
(02-06-2014, 08:43 PM)celestino Wrote: I gave up on these a long time ago because of the inconsistency with the blades. I just could never seem to get a good shave with them. Good luck to you, gentlemen!

Randy, I just think your Rooneys have pampered your face somehow to allow you to use ANY blade without detriment! Biggrin

Ha! You're probably RightBiggrin

I do like Iridiums too and I have a lot of them. Get this...I have about 200 of the the original Polsilvers in the brown box but I CAN'T FIND THEM. Embarrased.Blush

9 1,203
 02-06-2014, 09:40 PM
User Info
(02-06-2014, 09:26 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Get this...I have about 200 of the the original Polsilvers in the brown box but I CAN'T FIND THEM. Embarrased.Blush

* Randy, I think the Rooneys might have something special in that hair of theirs that gets released every time you use them contributing to a few issues, I now see arising! Biggrin

82 21,056
 02-07-2014, 05:51 AM
User Info
Don't know why people rave about this blades...

Personna Medical Preps "for hospital use" are made for a single use in pre-surgical proceedings - so, it isn't a surprise that they were a huge disappointment for me... Tongue

2 5,545
 02-07-2014, 08:13 AM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I definitely find the Meds MORE consistent than the labs without question...The Meds are supposed to have more stringent quality control when compared to the lab blades. I've yet to have a bad/inconsistent shave with Med preps(I never use them for more than 3x shaves). The labs occasionally produce a less smooth shave and pull more than the meds IMO...I've always wanted to believe they were the same so I wouldn't pay the premium for the meds, but I just keep going back to the meds for consistency...I hope there aren't new issues emerging!?!?
In regards to their use in hospitals and if they truly are meant for only one use, I've yet to fully understand whom these blades are really produced for and mainly purchased by? I'm 99% sure that no hospital in America purchases these blades for USE ON PATIENTS!!! I work for a hospital, specifically in radiology and have posed this question to many M.D.'s (surgeons) and nurses that cover around ten different hospitals in the north east states. Blades that are used to shave patient's groin or chest for adhesive materials to be applied to the body have to be sealed in completely sterile packaging. Raw blades like med preps are not in sterile packaging. I have only seen and heard of disposable razors with blades locked into the head in sterile packaging being used, and in recent years most hospitals (In America) use sterile electric blade heads that are tossed after a single use. shaving for SURGERY is a different story all together. My best guess is that if hospitals do purchase these blades, they are used in the "lab", just as the the "Personna lab" blades would be used...likely for preparation of tissue or various other samples for slides to be viewed under a microscope/analyzer. I'm sure there are places in the world that still use DE blades to shave patients, but doubt even for surgery as they would contaminate the sterile environment necessary for safe infection free procedures. Regardless, I still think they are great blades for shaving that until now have proven to be very consistent! I hope Teddyboy's experience is due to a bad batch that somehow got past Q.C. at Personna!?!

4 794