02-06-2014, 08:41 AM
User Info
Curious as to if anyone can compare these two. I had a puck of AoS Sandalwood w/tallow that I recently traded...I had grown tired of the scent and never reached for it but the performance was stellar. Are the valobra hard soaps also great performers?

David

33 548
 02-06-2014, 08:48 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(02-06-2014, 08:41 AM)daverasi Wrote: Curious as to if anyone can compare these two. I had a puck of AoS Sandalwood w/tallow that I recently traded...I had grown tired of the scent and never reached for it but the performance was stellar. Are the valobra hard soaps also great performers?

David

In a word, yes! AOS Tallow soaps were made by Valobra, so you should expect pretty much the same performance, although AOS scents were much better, IMO.

26 4,948
 02-06-2014, 09:40 AM
User Info
I have a puck of Valobra's new hard puck and while I never got a chance to try the AoS tallow soaps, I found the performance the same as the Czech & Speake soap I had (which is also made by Valobra).

84 1,505
 02-06-2014, 09:45 AM
User Info
(02-06-2014, 08:48 AM)TheMonk Wrote:
(02-06-2014, 08:41 AM)daverasi Wrote: Curious as to if anyone can compare these two. I had a puck of AoS Sandalwood w/tallow that I recently traded...I had grown tired of the scent and never reached for it but the performance was stellar. Are the valobra hard soaps also great performers?

David

In a word, yes! AOS Tallow soaps were made by Valobra, so you should expect pretty much the same performance, although AOS scents were much better, IMO.

Hear, hear! Smile

2 5,548
 02-06-2014, 10:45 AM
User Info
I'm going to be the odd one out here, so far, and say I find the new Valobra soaps are better than the old AoS tallow, and the current C&S.
I have long used the Valobra stick and always found it to be outstanding in all respects, from the scent to the lathering to the shave, and to the post shave feel.
Although Valobra made, the AoS tallow and C&S soaps have never quite cut it for me. They have always had a drying effect. For this reason, I refrained from buying the new Valobra pucks. I caved in though and now have the Fougere, plus the Patchouli on way. These soaps perform identical to the Valobra stick, in my opinion, which in a word means SUPERBLY.

32 5,292
 02-06-2014, 12:07 PM
User Info
(02-06-2014, 10:45 AM)Optometrist Wrote: I'm going to be the odd one out here, so far, and say I find the new Valobra soaps are better than the old AoS tallow, and the current C&S.
I have long used the Valobra stick and always found it to be outstanding in all respects, from the scent to the lathering to the shave, and to the post shave feel.
Although Valobra made, the AoS tallow and C&S soaps have never quite cut it for me. They have always had a drying effect. For this reason, I refrained from buying the new Valobra pucks. I caved in though and now have the Fougere, plus the Patchouli on way. These soaps perform identical to the Valobra stick, in my opinion, which in a word means SUPERBLY.

This is what I was hoping for. I failed to mention that I've also used and enjoy the Valobra stick although I rarely use it due to the fact that prefer pucks to sticks. I suppose that means I'll have to get a puck of Valobra to try...

33 548
 02-06-2014, 12:31 PM
User Info
(02-06-2014, 12:07 PM)daverasi Wrote:
(02-06-2014, 10:45 AM)Optometrist Wrote: I'm going to be the odd one out here, so far, and say I find the new Valobra soaps are better than the old AoS tallow, and the current C&S.

This is what I was hoping for. I failed to mention that I've also used and enjoy the Valobra stick although I rarely use it due to the fact that prefer pucks to sticks. I suppose that means I'll have to get a puck of Valobra to try...
You won't regret it one second, David. My only regret is I didn't buy the pucks from the time of release.

32 5,292
 05-24-2016, 08:27 AM
User Info
Bringing back this thread for what is in my opinion one of the top hard shave soaps on the planet!

8 196
 05-24-2016, 10:02 AM
User Info
Big compliments here.. Must try this one

18 786
 05-25-2016, 03:54 AM
User Info
I own 3 of the old hard tallow pucks from AOS (Thank you once again, Grant), 2 Czech & Speak pucks and all 4 Valobra hard pucks.
Other than the mild scent, the Valobra hard tallow pucks in the blue plastic containers are AT LEAST on par with the old AOS and C&S pucks. AT LEAST ON PAR !

They are a bargain for the price. I even own the Unscented Valibra, because I mix it with stronger scented creams in a great superlather.

Highly recommended !

24 6,018
 03-01-2017, 08:35 AM
User Info
Good morning, in my fellow wet shavers opinion is the Aos Valobra Sandalwood tallow soap strongly scented or lightly scented?

8 196
 03-01-2017, 09:25 AM
User Info
(03-01-2017, 08:35 AM)Batmanacci Wrote: Good morning, in my fellow wet shavers opinion is the Aos Valobra Sandalwood tallow soap strongly scented or lightly scented?

Well, I guess the answer is depends! If you are talking about the the discontinued tallow soap I would say it's probably light scented. I say this only because it hasn't been available and probably lost scent over the time it's been stored. That's just my theory but I could be wrong. Not too long ago I purchased a puck sealed is plastic wrap on eBay and it was very lightly scented. It's a decent soap for the price. Not my absolute favorite but it's good and one that everyone should try.

18 786
 03-01-2017, 10:02 AM
User Info
(03-01-2017, 08:35 AM)Batmanacci Wrote: Good morning, in my fellow wet shavers opinion is the Aos Valobra Sandalwood tallow soap strongly scented or lightly scented?

The ones that are still available, in packs of three, are quite strongly scented, in my opinion. I have tried four of them and they were all fairly potent. Shy

83 21,109
 03-01-2017, 10:11 AM
User Info
I have several Valobra sticks and I grate and press them in a bowl.  Fantastic soap as others have reported.  Agree on the stick scent being practically scent-free.  Just a nice, light soap smell.  Good luck!

73 4,338
 03-01-2017, 11:23 AM
User Info
Thank you all for the responses. I'm not a fan of strongly scented shave soaps therefore I might have to opt out of buying the AoS tallow sandalwood soap.
Even the Valobra stick is unpleasant smelling to me. The unscented Valobra puck is incredible and only has a slight clay type scent which I don't mind at all.
Valobra is one of my favorite soaps, so I will always have an unscented puck in my rotation. I was hoping maybe these aos tallow soaps were really lightly scented so that I could give one a go.

8 196
 03-02-2017, 09:45 AM
User Info
I find the AOS tallow sandalwood to be lightly scented. At a price of $13/puck on ebay, I think it's worth deciding for yourself how you feel about the scent.

17 154
 03-02-2017, 09:55 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
My only experience is with the unscented versions. I find the Valobra and AoS tallow to be quite similar in performance. So similar in fact that I can't really discern any difference in terms of latherability, on-face performance and post-shave feel. They're wonderful soaps Smile

7 2,355
 03-02-2017, 09:56 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Btw, thanks to Matt (Nero) for turning me on to the AoS tallow.

7 2,355
 03-02-2017, 10:49 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I'll add my experience to this conversation.

Old AoS sandalwood is a regular in my rotation. And has been for years. About a year ago I had the Valobra Patchouly soap. It was quite disappointing as far as scent. And, becasue the scent was such a disappointment, I sent it on to someone else.

60 1,625
 03-02-2017, 05:10 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-02-2017, 09:56 AM)chazt Wrote: Btw, thanks to Matt (Nero) for turning me on to the AoS tallow.

My pleasure, Charlie!

62 3,004