02-06-2014, 08:43 AM
User Info
I have (but have yet to shave with) Penhaligon's Sartorial Soap but am curious as to the scent and performance of LASS Topanga Fougere, Valobra Fougere or any others I should consider.

David

33 548
 02-06-2014, 09:20 AM
User Info
Beyond what you have mentioned, there are MdC Fougere, Queen Charlotte Soap Fougere (soap and croap), and Al's Sapone di Barba Fougere (croap). May be others. LASS Topanga makes an excellent lather easily and provides a nice shave. Scent is not unlike MdC; bergamot-like top note to me. Haven't tried Sartorial or Valobra, so can't compare.

3 543
 02-06-2014, 12:17 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I've used the MdC Fougere and LASS Topanga Fougere, and both differ significantly from what I consider the benchmark fougere, Pen's English Fern. MdC and LASS are very different from each other in scent, though they are very herbal and fresh, whereas EF is much more refined and what one would consider "cologne"-like. Performance of both MdC and LASS is outstanding.

0 1,137
 02-06-2014, 12:27 PM
User Info
I have both MdC scented and unscented so adding their Fougere would be overkill. ;-)

I also have some varieties of QCS. For some reason I haven't tried Pens EF...I have and enjoy Pens Sartorial.

33 548
 02-06-2014, 12:31 PM
User Info
But when you run out of MdC, look at the cost differences! Biggrin

(02-06-2014, 12:27 PM)daverasi Wrote: I have both MdC scented and unscented so adding their Fougere would be overkill. ;-)

I also have some varieties of QCS. For some reason I haven't tried Pens EF...I have and enjoy Pens Sartorial.

3 543
 02-06-2014, 12:41 PM
User Info
Once i discovered Martin de Candre Fougere, I stopped searching for soaps. YMMV. I am pretty much a strict. MINIMALIST

19 775
 02-06-2014, 03:18 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I have both QCS and Valobra Fougere. The two scents are very different. QCS smells lovely, with a sharper spicier scent. Valobra has a sweeter scent that is more muted and, IMO, refined. I found the Valobra scent is very different from anything else I've tried. While at first I didn't know what to think of it, I have grown quite fond of it... Perhaps due to its performance.

While QCS and Valobra both perform superbly, I have to give the edge to Valobra... It shaves perfect every time and the post shave feel is excellent. It is effortless to lather, and the lather is very slick and protective. It definitely ranks in my top 5 for performance. If I had to pick something bad about it, I would just wish the price to be a little lower, but I still think it's worth it for the shaves it provides me.

34 1,628
 02-06-2014, 03:28 PM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
I have a sample of MdC fougere coming, and, considering the cost of a full one, hoping to NOT like it =)

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk

4 447
 02-07-2014, 07:52 AM
User Info
Is there anyone who sells samples of Valobra fougere shaving soap? I know that Maggard does not. Have done a search with no luck, but hoping that someone might.

3 543
 02-07-2014, 09:11 AM
User Info
I'm trying to decide on LASS Fougere or the Valobra...maybe I'll just wait and see what comes up on swap and shop ;-)

33 548
 02-07-2014, 10:42 AM
User Info
(02-07-2014, 09:11 AM)daverasi Wrote: I'm trying to decide on LASS Fougere or the Valobra...maybe I'll just wait and see what comes up on swap and shop ;-)

Have you tried either yet? What deciding factors are you considering? I have tried LASS Fougere and find it quite nice. Do wish the scent were a bit different; would like it to smell like QCS Fougere with a green, sweet touch.

3 543
 02-07-2014, 10:47 AM
User Info
Well I want to try LASS since I've read rave reviews and both the Fougere and Woody Lavender are appealing to me. If I end up getting them directly from LASS I'll buy both and save on shipping but I'd prefer to find them lightly used.

I've used valobra (stick and AoS Sandalwood with tallow) but recently swapped the AoS and don't use the shave stick that much so I want a valobra puck and the fougere seemed quite appealing.

33 548
 02-08-2014, 05:04 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I really enjoy the fougère scent, and rotate one of my fougère soaps about once a week. There are several that I like, and they are all different. I recently tried LASS Topanga Fougère for the first time, and I was sorry that I haven't tried it sooner as it's become my favorite. I'm fortunate to have a couple of pucks of tallow English Fern remaining, as that has always been my favorite until recently. I have yet to try Sartorial, and probably won't until I use up my English Fern. Third on my list is MdC Fougère. I'm not quite sure why it's third, as it's probably the one soap I'd want if stranded on a desert island and I could only take one. One soap that isn't mentioned much but is high on my list is Al's Sapone da Barba Fougère About It. It's a terrific soap, only I wish the scent was a little stronger. Al also offers a terrific ASB in the same scent. I didn't find QCS anything to write home about, but I do like her fougère ASB except for the small 2mm size. I haven't tried Valobra, as I already have enough fougère for several years of a once a week rotation. Every now and then I wonder why I don't use these soaps more often, as fougère is just about my favorite scent. Then I get distracted with all the other wonderful scents available today and forget how great these soaps really are.

38 5,108
 02-08-2014, 05:34 PM
User Info
Fougere scent: with the exception of QCS (and possible exceptions of Valobra's, English Fern and Sartorial which I have yet to smell), beginning to think they all smell like Pre de Provence and Klar Siefen Sport. I get herbs and something like bergamot. I had so hoped that MdC's was going to smell like their bath soap, but that didn't happen.

3 543
 02-08-2014, 08:33 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(02-08-2014, 05:34 PM)john parker Wrote: Fougere scent: with the exception of QCS (and possible exceptions of Valobra's, English Fern and Sartorial which I have yet to smell), beginning to think they all smell like Pre de Provence and Klar Siefen Sport. I get herbs and something like bergamot. I had so hoped that MdC's was going to smell like their bath soap, but that didn't happen.

Each company has it's own interpretation of what "fern" smells like, and there really is a difference. In addition to the scent, there is the quality of the lather. There are so many variations on the theme and different people will have their favorites. I do like Pre de Provence, but I don't consider it a fougère.

38 5,108
 02-09-2014, 07:34 AM
User Info
(02-08-2014, 05:04 PM)evnpar Wrote: I really enjoy the fougère scent, and rotate one of my fougère soaps about once a week. There are several that I like, and they are all different. I recently tried LASS Topanga Fougère for the first time, and I was sorry that I haven't tried it sooner as it's become my favorite. I'm fortunate to have a couple of pucks of tallow English Fern remaining, as that has always been my favorite until recently. I have yet to try Sartorial, and probably won't until I use up my English Fern. Third on my list is MdC Fougère. I'm not quite sure why it's third, as it's probably the one soap I'd want if stranded on a desert island and I could only take one. One soap that isn't mentioned much but is high on my list is Al's Sapone da Barba Fougère About It. It's a terrific soap, only I wish the scent was a little stronger. Al also offers a terrific ASB in the same scent. I didn't find QCS anything to write home about, but I do like her fougère ASB except for the small 2mm size. I haven't tried Valobra, as I already have enough fougère for several years of a once a week rotation. Every now and then I wonder why I don't use these soaps more often, as fougère is just about my favorite scent. Then I get distracted with all the other wonderful scents available today and forget how great these soaps really are.

I've recently been getting into fougere scents, both soaps and fragrances. I have LASS Topanga Fougere on the way and hope to try the Valobra version at some point. I've heard quite a bit about Pen's English Fern and have to try it one of these days...and I hear you about getting distracted by all of these scents and soaps!

33 548
 02-09-2014, 08:26 AM
User Info
(02-09-2014, 07:34 AM)daverasi Wrote:
(02-08-2014, 05:04 PM)evnpar Wrote: I really enjoy the fougère scent, and rotate one of my fougère soaps about once a week. There are several that I like, and they are all different. I recently tried LASS Topanga Fougère for the first time, and I was sorry that I haven't tried it sooner as it's become my favorite. I'm fortunate to have a couple of pucks of tallow English Fern remaining, as that has always been my favorite until recently. I have yet to try Sartorial, and probably won't until I use up my English Fern. Third on my list is MdC Fougère. I'm not quite sure why it's third, as it's probably the one soap I'd want if stranded on a desert island and I could only take one. One soap that isn't mentioned much but is high on my list is Al's Sapone da Barba Fougère About It. It's a terrific soap, only I wish the scent was a little stronger. Al also offers a terrific ASB in the same scent. I didn't find QCS anything to write home about, but I do like her fougère ASB except for the small 2mm size. I haven't tried Valobra, as I already have enough fougère for several years of a once a week rotation. Every now and then I wonder why I don't use these soaps more often, as fougère is just about my favorite scent. Then I get distracted with all the other wonderful scents available today and forget how great these soaps really are.

I've recently been getting into fougere scents, both soaps and fragrances. I have LASS Topanga Fougere on the way and hope to try the Valobra version at some point. I've heard quite a bit about Pen's English Fern and have to try it one of these days...and I hear you about getting distracted by all of these scents and soaps!
Amen! Think that that is about 95% of the reason for my indecision on what to get next - too many great soaps and too many scents! And I just sit and wait til the next one comes out in order to try it, too!

3 543
 02-14-2014, 01:42 PM
User Info
I'm a Fougere freak, and like to try it from all the vendors I can. While I did find the performance of MdC Fougere to be stellar, I'm in love w/ the versions from LASS and QC.

3 254
 02-14-2014, 01:48 PM
User Info
It's very, very difficult to find, but vintage Houbigant Fougere Royale is a wonderful shaving soap, one of the best ever made, IMO, both for its lather and its marvelous scent.

207 12,261
 02-14-2014, 02:38 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
(02-14-2014, 01:48 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: It's very, very difficult to find, but vintage Houbigant Fougere Royale is a wonderful shaving soap, one of the best ever made, IMO, both for its lather and its marvelous scent.

+1. If only this were as plentiful as vintage Yardley.

0 1,137