02-06-2014, 07:56 PM
User Info
So I think I'm sunk, maybe not Syngent sunk, but sunk nonetheless. In only a few weeks my fountain pen collection jumped from a couple which were a generous PIF from Freddy to 7 now after I received my 2nd order today from The Goulet Pen Co.

Today's order was primarily for my wife, but I was able to add something for myself. Here's the list with a few pictures to follow.

My wife's kit:

LAMY Safari in white; 1.1 italic nib; converter
Noodler's Cactus Fruit Eel ink
Clairefontaine spiral notebook, small
Leuchtturm 1917 large notebook, lined; Lavender

Additions to my kit:

TWSBI mini Classic; extra-fine nib (installed); 1.1mm stub italic nib
Private Reserve ink -- Sherwood Green (fast dry)

[Image: yvgn8Zb.jpg]

[Image: 7j5l0kT.jpg]

[Image: kk8aavk.jpg]

[Image: TR2prBm.jpg]

[Image: Um3iHlB.jpg]

[Image: hLpcrau.jpg]

31 8,054
 02-06-2014, 08:55 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Brian, and enjoy the pens!
They are a revelations once you start writing with them and it is very hard to go back to regular pens.
They are just like a good DE, SE or straight razor; once you start using one, you have a hard time going back! Biggrin

Oooh! I like the Cactus Fruit!

82 21,056
 02-06-2014, 10:12 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Brian very graciously sent me a letter that I received today. No smearing, less pressure, slightly different way to hold the pen. Brian has picked up the use of fountain pens very fast and it seems that his concerns about being left-handed are considerably diminished. Celestino's comparison of wet shaving to using fountain pens is quite apt.

Welcome to the wonderful world of fountain pens, Brian. Smile

2 11,211
 02-07-2014, 06:19 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
And so it begins....

Celestino's comparison to wet shaving also applies to AD's. You've started off with some great gear, Brian. My favorite part of this particular hobby is not the pens, though I like them a lot. It's not the inks either, as using them up is more daunting than a pile of triple milled soaps. Rather, it's the paper, glorious, high quality, smooth writing, no feathering, paper. Rhodia. Leuchtturm. Clairefontaine. All are fantastic. Try the Japanese papers, too. Hubba hubba.

0 1,137
 02-07-2014, 06:42 AM
User Info
Freddy, I'm glad the letter arrived safely. I do think that I need to be very aware of my nib, ink, & paper choices to give me good results. A quick question though, are you noticing that I'm using less pressure or can you tell that I'm still heavy handed? I feel like I am still using more pressure than I need but definitely enjoying the ease with which a fountain pen writes.

Elendil, yes the papers are one of the better experiences as well. The feedback you get and the slight but noticeable differences between the brands is almost intoxicating. As a lefty I think I may feel this feedback even more than righties.

I'm working my way through the epic "Fountain Pen" thread here and read something about doing figure 8s on a brown paper sack to smooth out a nib. I'm not sure if this is something I should do or not as I suspect I'll feel a bit more "edge" with my push strokes than a righty will with their pulls.

Anyone have a good recommendation for where to order stationary, possibly personalized, including paper and envelopes that work well with fountain pens but aren't super pricey?

31 8,054
 02-07-2014, 09:02 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Brian, your question about where to get stationery made me wonder so I Googled and found a site that looks very interesting. I know nothing about it and will research it later. What caught my eye for you, as well as other left handers, is one of the papers was particularly written up as possibly not the best for lefties. I'll look into it in more detail when I get the chance. (I have company from Scotland right now.) Here is the site: http://www.paperpenalia.com/stationery.html

2 11,211
 02-07-2014, 09:47 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Brian, excellent pens you have there, and that green ink is awesome. Love the 1.1 you bought for your wife.

As for stationary, this is my favorite http://www.pagestationery.com/stationery-for-men.html, however they are just cards. I like to write my wife little notes and give them to her and they are perfect for that.

For letter writing I've just kind of grabbed whatever I can. Currently I'm using Phil's trick, by using parchment paper. This one could be another good source, http://www.europeanpaper.com/. I am gonna be checking out freddy's link though for sure as well.

18 1,186
 02-16-2014, 12:02 PM
User Info
(02-07-2014, 06:42 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Anyone have a good recommendation for where to order stationary, possibly personalized, including paper and envelopes that work well with fountain pens but aren't super pricey?

Hi Brian, this is Mary Lou. I reviewed the paper I was using when this question came up before. Inexpensive and functional.
This review is on Pg 60 of "The Fountain Pen Thread"
http://shavenook.com/thread-the-fountain...#pid281515

Later Phil purchased higher quality paper and posted this review
http://shavenook.com/thread-a-plethora-o...ts-of-pics

In terms of personalized stationary, I got Phil an embosser for Christmas and we can "personalize" whatever stationary we are using. I only got him the upside down plate to emboss the envelopes. I am going to get the right side up plate for the stationary so he can do both. It looks fantastic! Scroll down in the thread and he reviews the one we got with pictures.
Phil wrote about it here:
http://shavenook.com/thread-paper-embosser

Phil is also a "leftie" and at times has more trouble with stationary than I do, so his post may be the most helpful. I hope this helps!

As to your Second order already? I started with just one pen that Phil got for me after he started writing with a fountain pen. I got hooked and within less than a year I now have 13! pensRolleyes So beware: It can be habit formingWink

Mary Lou

7 363
 02-20-2014, 09:53 AM
User Info
Good thing you can never have too many fountain pens Biggrin

1 346