02-07-2014, 07:29 AM
User Info
Name that one Cream or Soap you really wanted to like but just couldn't

Proraso Red - Smells lovely but burns!!!!
Pre De Provence - Made me itch.

0 295
 02-07-2014, 07:31 AM
User Info
ABCBA for the same reason - great scent but turned my face red.

10 2,062
 02-07-2014, 07:41 AM
User Info
Usually the issue for me is that the scent is one I should love and then I tried it and it either is something different (I'll get to that one in a moment) or just disappears for me.

For instance, I should love both DRH Windsor and RR Son of Zeus. Hermes Terre d'Hermes is my favorite EdT and it just smells lovely all day every day. And I get the things I love about the scent with both Windsor and SoZ, right up until I apply the lather to my face. Then its gone. For some reason this happens a lot with me, from cheap to expensive.

The one I should have liked but really couldn't was RR Captain's Choice. I love Bay Rum scents and CC is a great one. But as soon as I opened the container, I was brought back to the morning after a long college party (and not in a good way).

84 1,505
 02-07-2014, 08:56 AM
User Info
(02-07-2014, 07:41 AM)jpakstis Wrote: The one I should have liked but really couldn't was RR Captain's Choice. I love Bay Rum scents and CC is a great one. But as soon as I opened the container, I was brought back to the morning after a long college party (and not in a good way).

I can relate to your memory, Josh, but it isn't with soaps. Biggrin

83 21,081
 02-07-2014, 09:05 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
TOBS Eton College, whew.

17 549
 02-07-2014, 09:30 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but the product that really let me down in 2013 was the Santa Maria Novella shaving cream.
Considering the quality colognes this very antique brand offers, I had high expectations and really wanted to like this one, but was totally let down, by both the scent and the performance. Also, the price, given the quality, is absolutely ludicrous. Dodgy
I'll definitely stick with the colognes from now on.

26 4,928
 02-07-2014, 09:33 AM
User Info
Mine is Cella. I know it gets a lot of love, and I use it on occasion but when it runs out I won't repurchase it.

33 548
 02-07-2014, 10:16 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Cella and Abcba- just can't stand that cloying almond scent

I coloniali mango oil shave soap- the scent hasn't grown on me yet, also lather is rather thin. But I'm not ready to bin this one yet

17 439
 02-07-2014, 11:27 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
Cade soap. The scent is fantastic, but was too finicky to lather for me. I decided to settle on the Cade ASB to get my scent fix.

0 1,137
 02-07-2014, 11:54 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
Can't use Almond scents anymore - so both Cella and Valobra are no-go.

DRH Arlington - heard great things and scent was great - but performance was very mediocre for me.

17 535
 02-07-2014, 12:18 PM
User Info
PPF Neroli soap.

Loved it but my face did not. Some kind of reaction to something in the soap.

2 1,461
 02-07-2014, 12:41 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I REALLY wanted to like and be able to use DR Harris Arlington... I was so disappointed when it burned me. Performance was outstanding otherwise. Still might revisit this one in the future.

Most recently: Syngery Gondolier. The scent was just amazing, but I wasn't too crazy about the performance, and worst of all my skin got extremely irritated. I have to give the performance the benefit of doubt, as I'll be the first to admit I needed to spend more time with the lather to accurately judge that aspect. But unfortunately I'll never get the chance to. Sad

34 1,628
 02-07-2014, 02:04 PM
User Info
This has helped me with something that bothering me. Perhaps Sensitive Skin is just a layman's term and not real. 1/3 of us stated we had an allergic reaction. We all get Razor Burn from time to time. What I think the real issue is is not the skin but the ingredients in the Soaps/Creams. If something does not give a good protective lather it makes sense that you are going to get irritation. So I think it is Allergens and Poor Lubrication. I am sure however, that some of us might really have delicate skin but perhaps it is not that common.

0 295
 02-07-2014, 03:19 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I agree BigMark, there are definitely a few ingredients out there that irritate my skin. In my case I believe they are scent/fragrance related. My skin is quite a mystery as many of the soaps that irritate others don't end up bothering me (Proraso Green, Musgo Real, MWF, etc...). You mentioned Proraso Red, and that one got me too.

Fortunately after much trial and error, there are also plenty of outstanding soaps out there that I enjoy using on a regular basis with no adverse effects. Biggrin

I do believe that plenty of shavers may think they have sensitive skin, when in fact it is their razor or technique or even brush that is to blame. However, that statement is also a fine line, because I myself spent a few years thinking my technique or razor were to blame for my sensitive skin when in fact it was the cream I was using. I found for me, it was important to take a scientific approach to get to the variable that truly caused my skin to react...and the challenge was there are so many variables in a shave!

This hobby is one of the few where our individualities as humans truly shines through...whether due to personal preferences, techniques, or the physical make up of our bodies. It is always interesting to see something that completely doesn't work for someone, is on another person's top 5 list.

34 1,628
 02-08-2014, 09:46 AM
User Info
Mystic Water. Bath soap masquerading as a shave soap.

1 131
 02-09-2014, 11:14 PM
User Info
Unfortunatly Herbs of Bulgaria (lavander) and Palmolive broke my out with a poisen ivy like rash. Itched for a good hour after I finshed shaving. So they are a no go for me.

Too bad as I liked the scent and performace of both of them.Dodgy

8 160
 02-10-2014, 06:53 AM
User Info
Fume. I loved the performance and smell but it just burned me. I hate that too because it was perfect in every other way.

1 283
 02-10-2014, 12:39 PM
  • Philq
  • Chicago
User Info
La Troya stick. I just couldn't get in to it

0 15
 02-10-2014, 01:51 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
There have been many but the one that stands out that I really wanted to use was the Musgo Cream. Something in it that just sets my face on fire. But I loved the scent. I still use the Musgo after shave lotion and balm.

178 23,809
 02-10-2014, 07:42 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Musgo ate me up as well Johnny, I think I have the whole tube left as one snurdle nixed it off my list. Unfortunately, MWF burned me up too so I have no idea the joy encountered by those that laud the love of the fat.

143 1,984