02-07-2014, 09:14 AM
User Info
Being somewhat new to the 'Nook, I'm not sure how many of you use fragrances. But after putting on MDCI's Invasion Barbare this morning I felt the need to let you all know about this great fougere...it is often referred to as a "nu"gere or a modernized fougere scent. It is on the sweeter side but incredibly well done...its worth your while to grab a sample or decant.

Has anyone else sample this?

David

33 548
 02-07-2014, 09:36 AM
User Info
I own Invasion Barbare (without the porcelain figure for sure Shy) and used it often during last autumn. Penhaligons Sartorial is in the same scent family. To speak words of praise for Penhaligon's: I got more compliments for Sartorial.

0 55
 02-07-2014, 09:36 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I've really been curious to try this perfume by Stephanie Bakouche, but still haven't had a chance.
Heard a few great things, but do find it very expensive for 75ml of eau de parfum... In fact, I'd find it too expensive even if it was extract du parfum! It is really worth it? Rolleyes

26 4,896
 02-07-2014, 10:08 AM
User Info
(02-07-2014, 09:36 AM)TheMonk Wrote: I've really been curious to try this perfume by Stephanie Bakouche, but still haven't had a chance.
Heard a few great things, but do find it very expensive for 75ml of eau de parfum... In fact, I'd find it too expensive even if it was extract du parfum! It is really worth it? Rolleyes

Is it worth it? To most people that answer would be no. Unfortunately/fortunately I happen to enjoy fragrances quite a bit and don't really have many other hobbies that cause me to spend $ (i.e. I'm not into cars, whisky, etc). So I find niche fragrances to be "worth" it as I enjoy them. But I acknowledge that most would think that $3/4 for a ml of a fragrance is a waste of money...

(02-07-2014, 09:36 AM)IvoryRazorClub Wrote: I own Invasion Barbare (without the porcelain figure for sure Shy) and used it often during last autumn. Penhaligons Sartorial is in the same scent family. To speak words of praise for Penhaligon's: I got more compliments for Sartorial.

I have both as well and actually also prefer Sartorial.

33 548
 02-07-2014, 10:36 AM
User Info
I agree that it's extremely well constructed, but I can't say that I particularly care for it when I wear it. The ginger does not react well with my skin chemistry and becomes OVERPOWERING. However, for many, it is an excellent choice in what is sadly a dying class of perfumes.

5 407
 02-07-2014, 10:42 AM
User Info
(02-07-2014, 10:36 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: I agree that it's extremely well constructed, but I can't say that I particularly care for it when I wear it. The ginger does not react well with my skin chemistry and becomes OVERPOWERING. However, for many, it is an excellent choice in what is sadly a dying class of perfumes.

I'd buy a soap that was identical/similar to IB...just sayin...Wink

33 548
 02-07-2014, 07:15 PM
User Info
(02-07-2014, 10:42 AM)daverasi Wrote:
(02-07-2014, 10:36 AM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote: I agree that it's extremely well constructed, but I can't say that I particularly care for it when I wear it. The ginger does not react well with my skin chemistry and becomes OVERPOWERING. However, for many, it is an excellent choice in what is sadly a dying class of perfumes.

I'd buy a soap that was identical/similar to IB...just sayin...Wink

It will be less gingery, but give me awhile. Biggrin

5 407
 02-07-2014, 10:30 PM
User Info
I'm a fan of IB unfortunately it does not last as long as I would like. It's a well done frag and part of my rotation in spring and fall.

24 227
 02-08-2014, 09:38 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(02-07-2014, 10:08 AM)daverasi Wrote:
(02-07-2014, 09:36 AM)TheMonk Wrote: I've really been curious to try this perfume by Stephanie Bakouche, but still haven't had a chance.

Is it worth it? To most people that answer would be no. Unfortunately/fortunately I happen to enjoy fragrances quite a bit and don't really have many other hobbies that cause me to spend $ (i.e. I'm not into cars, whisky, etc). So I find niche fragrances to be "worth" it as I enjoy them. But I acknowledge that most would think that $3/4 for a ml of a fragrance is a waste of money...

(02-07-2014, 09:36 AM)IvoryRazorClub Wrote: I own Invasion Barbare (without the porcelain figure for sure Shy) and used it often during last autumn. Penhaligons Sartorial is in the same scent family. To speak words of praise for Penhaligon's: I got more compliments for Sartorial.

I have both as well and actually also prefer Sartorial.

Despite having other interests, such as whiskyTongue and wetshaving, I also do not mind spending some money on niche fragrances, but only if they're it, which I find happens not that often, at least for me.
Anyway, since I do like Sartorial a lot, I'll try and get a sample of Invasion Barbare soon, to make up my own mind... Although I must say the opinions on this thread haven't given me very high expectations.

26 4,896