02-07-2014, 06:50 PM
User Info
Currently, I am working on a business plan to produce a green and rust free safety razor by manufacturing the safety razor out of a hard compound recycled rubber material and/or bamboo ...whats everyones feedback on my drawing board razor?...gosh, I miss Bob at BRW as he always had every angle covered ...of course I would do my best to have this completely made and assembled in the good ol USA...plus packaging would be minimal...of course just after quality control is pricing it to be affordable by everyone...whats the feedback?

4 158
 02-07-2014, 07:36 PM
User Info
I like the idea, either bamboo or rubber.

21 1,668
 02-07-2014, 07:43 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Good luck and all but I really don,t see a need for this product.King of Shaves has something like this now and you might check that out .

6 2,028
 02-07-2014, 07:57 PM
User Info
could be interesting - but i think the most eco-friendly alternatives would be to use vintage razors Wink

7 1,624
 02-07-2014, 07:58 PM
User Info
Have to have some other Angle other than Green to sell.

5 410
 02-07-2014, 08:34 PM
User Info
I appreciate all the quick feedback...much appreciated...I was not able to locate a King of Shave safety razor...so if anyone has more info on that I would greatly appreciate...maybe I mis-presented my idea but my focus was not solely the green aspect but primarily the MADE IN USA and the affordable price point (below 40 or so). The green aspect was more of an "invisible hand" feature...I agree a vintage is green but many times they are in poor shape and eventually will fall victim to rust...hence the rustproof aspect....please keep the feedback coming

4 158
 02-07-2014, 08:36 PM
User Info
^ Agreed. I read that something is "green" these days in marketing and it immediately turns me off. Kind of like "organic"; they started of meaning something but now they are mainly hype words.

Edit: it seems odd to market a non-metal razor as rustproof. Can anything non-metal rust?

31 8,057
 02-07-2014, 09:25 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(02-07-2014, 08:34 PM)ORGANIC MAN Wrote: I appreciate all the quick feedback...much appreciated...I was not able to locate a King of Shave safety razor...so if anyone has more info on that I would greatly appreciate...maybe I mis-presented my idea but my focus was not solely the green aspect but primarily the MADE IN USA and the affordable price point (below 40 or so). The green aspect was more of an "invisible hand" feature...I agree a vintage is green but many times they are in poor shape and eventually will fall victim to rust...hence the rustproof aspect....please keep the feedback coming
Look under King of Shaves or shave.com...(from England)

6 2,028
 02-07-2014, 09:25 PM
User Info
An important part of a razor being metal is the weight. My current favorite razor is 4.5 oz. for example.

2 97
 02-07-2014, 09:46 PM
User Info
I am conscience of the weight and I had discovered that a cubic inch weighs .88 oz...so assume I design a barberpole shape...I would venture the handle would yield a weight of just shy of 3 oz and then the head which would be 3/4 of oz...of course, there are ways to enhance the weight and correct the balance....one thing I have not heard much of was the price point....which is leading me to believe the price point is not as much of a factor as originally believed. I searched and KOS does not offer a safety razor...they do offer the cartridge plastic razor but no safety razor...if anyone found anything to contradict that statement please let me know...much thanks for the feedback

4 158
 02-07-2014, 09:48 PM
User Info
(02-07-2014, 08:34 PM)ORGANIC MAN Wrote: I appreciate all the quick feedback...much appreciated...I was not able to locate a King of Shave safety razor...so if anyone has more info on that I would greatly appreciate...maybe I mis-presented my idea but my focus was not solely the green aspect but primarily the MADE IN USA and the affordable price point (below 40 or so). The green aspect was more of an "invisible hand" feature...I agree a vintage is green but many times they are in poor shape and eventually will fall victim to rust...hence the rustproof aspect....please keep the feedback coming

I don't know where you got that from. The vintage razors I know of are plated brass. The plating (nickel, chrome, gold, silver) can't rust, neither can the metal below the plating. Aluminum razors can corrode as can white metal once the plating wears away. But I've never seen one do that in use; only if it's been badly stored away for years and unused.

Carbon steel, some grades of SS, and iron rust. I know of no razors made of those metals. But I could be wrong. Which razors are you thinking of that will rust under normal conditions?

I'd also question the longevity of a rubber razor, bamboo too. Even vulcanized rubber has a lifespan. What would it's life be? Green doesn't mean making a short lived object that gets thrown away in a few years, at least it doesn't to me. It makes far more sense to make something that will last a few hundred years, so that a new one doesn't need to be made in the first place. Green = frugal to me.

32 6,459
 02-08-2014, 04:27 AM
User Info
rusting could result when the finish has been compromised ( http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Safety_razor_maintenance ) ...as far as longevity, ebonite can last up to a 80+ years ( http://www.nikkoebonite.com/english_site...onite.html )...in regards to the green label I equate that with reducing the carbon footprint which if possible would be achieved by recycling rubber/tires and conservation. I am considering utilizing a threaded spine inside the handle that would have weights that allow the user to customize the balance/weight of the razor for the niche marketing approach.

4 158
 02-08-2014, 04:43 AM
User Info
(02-08-2014, 04:27 AM)ORGANIC MAN Wrote: rusting could result when the finish has been compromised http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Safety_razor_maintenance as far as longevity, ebonite can last up to a 80+ years http://www.nikkoebonite.com/english_site...onite.html in regards to the green label I equate that with reducing the carbon footprint which if possible would be achieved by recycling rubber/tires and conservation. I am considering utilizing a threaded spine inside the handle that would have weights that allow the user to customize the balance/weight of the razor for the niche marketing approach.

Drew, just a heads up, your links aren't working. It looks like the "...as" and "...in" are attached to your links, causing error's.

96 2,590
 02-08-2014, 04:51 AM
User Info
much thanks...believe I resolved the issues

4 158
 02-08-2014, 05:28 AM
User Info
The very best of luck in this exciting project. Look forward to future prototypes and pictures.

121 13,123
 02-08-2014, 08:01 AM
User Info
Thank you much Slantman....its in the fetal stage currently and I have a lot of work ahead in regards to developing a business plan and investigative work as far as "what product will satisfy the clients need" and deciding if I would like to mass produce or limited quantities...much thanks again...I'm excited regarding sketching out a unique handle and head(s).

4 158
 02-08-2014, 08:02 AM
User Info
The quality of this forum and it's fantastic members really shines in threads like this where a member wants to take an interest in TWS to the next level.

I guess I keep coming back to the place where buying something newly manufactured is, by definition, less "green" than buying used. The benefit comes when a consumer who was unwilling to buy used does get into TWS and transforms his shaving to a "greener" practice.

Maybe you could angle this product for the health foods store like Whole Foods, or maybe keep that aspect of the product in the background and let it be a feel-good benefit for the purchaser of your razor.

Interested to keep reading responses.

47 1,270
 02-08-2014, 08:07 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(02-08-2014, 08:02 AM)kentclark Wrote: The quality of this forum and it's fantastic members really shines in threads like this where a member wants to take an interest in TWS to the next level.

I guess I keep coming back to the place where buying something newly manufactured is, by definition, less "green" than buying used. The benefit comes when a consumer who was unwilling to buy used does get into TWS and transforms his shaving to a "greener" practice.

Maybe you could angle this product for the health foods store like Whole Foods, or maybe keep that aspect of the product in the background and let it be a feel-good benefit for the purchaser of your razor.

Truly green would be growing a beard. Laughing1

46 18,365
 02-08-2014, 08:19 AM
User Info
(02-08-2014, 08:07 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(02-08-2014, 08:02 AM)kentclark Wrote: The quality of this forum and it's fantastic members really shines in threads like this where a member wants to take an interest in TWS to the next level.

Truly green would be growing a beard. Laughing1

Ahh, yes! St. Patrick's Day is coming for those sporting green beards! Biggrin

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUzszVKcClljYoxXzaxT0...BLMcG7kU4Q]

1 2,827
 02-08-2014, 08:24 AM
User Info
ohhh no Phil...then Bullgoose be but a memory...I have been frequenting health food stores since I purchased a moped at 15 so maybe subconsciously the interest is fulfilling my own personal selfish desires...having gone back to college after 40 has awakened me to GDP and how its so low in the USA...and having purchased my home alone for the first time(without wife) and I was blessed that the woman had left the home furnished with her 50's décor. One thing that caught my eye was the bold MADE IN THE USA markings...I would love to see some more razors in our dens that bolster the pride of the USA.

4 158