02-07-2014, 10:50 PM
User Info
Today started out like any other. After the morning routine came the typical errands with one difference. When we were at the liquor store I spied some unique bottles I'd never seen before. Being someone who likes a new taste I had to look closer. At the bottom of the label I saw that the distillery was in Oakland Maine. Living near Oakland I asked if this was the outfit on such and such a road. I've driven past it hundreds of times, saw the sign, and never gave it a thought.

After completing our errands I decided to drive to the winery/distillery and see when they were open. A gent came to the door and invited the wife and I inside where we entered a tasting room/show room. The products I'd seen at the liquor store were prominently displayed as were 4 wines. Two ladies were getting ready for a private tasting in 1 1/2 hours and we had just found ourselves in the right place at the right time. We proceeded to have a private tasting with just the two of us.

We also peeked around the corner into the production/fermentation/distillation area. But they were washing things up after bottling so they clearly didn't want us back there to get wet and be in the way.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Here's the link to the winery/distillery<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The products were quite unique and delicious. We tasted all 7 of their products produced on site and another that is produced on the coast (maple balsamic vinegar).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Producer of the balsamic vinegar<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

All of their ingredients are locally sourced, and some of what they make are incredibly unique. The maple sparkling wine was absolutely incredible and so was the maple balsamic. BTW, it's real balsamic and not the synthetic crap made from must and flavorings. After an "Oh, WOW!" I suggested it would be fantastic on vanilla ice cream. If you've never tasted real balsamic vinegar you should really try some.

The sparkling maple wine opened up on the palate with one flavor, then changed flavor, and over the course of a few minutes changed flavor yet again. It started out tasting nothing like maple, almost a musky/woody taste, and finished up unmistakeably maple, but not sweet at all. Very interesting.

One can't go into a place like that and not leave with some.

What started out as a routine day turned into something really special. It's not at all far from where we live... cool! We'll be back.

There is a tasting being planned for a bunch of our friends very soon.

32 6,471
 02-07-2014, 11:05 PM
User Info
Sounds like a day well spent - sometimes the most interesting places are quite close to home.

3 4,675
 02-09-2014, 06:42 PM
User Info
Brian, sounds like a fantastic day with a lovely and unexpected adventure! Biggrin

83 21,115
 02-09-2014, 08:43 PM
User Info
Neat experience, Krampert!

47 1,270
 02-09-2014, 09:23 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Sounds like a lot of fun Brian!

46 18,625