02-08-2014, 09:24 AM
User Info
I understand that the two soaps are often compared to eachother and both are very good. I haven't tried either, I have some mdc samples coming my way, but I think it says something that I never see LPL on the selling board but I do see MDC.

18 326
 02-08-2014, 09:31 AM
User Info
I stated a post here talking about lpl. You can read that thread and I think you'll get some insight. I recently traded my mdc. I also recently purchased lpl and will not be selling our trading it.

They are not alike at all actually. I like lpl more than mdc in every way...scent, lather, post shave. In my opinion, it is the superior soap.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

32 344
 02-08-2014, 09:34 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
LPL is newer to the scene, and most people have only recently heard about it and/or purchased it.

MdC is more established, and there are more folks, myself included, who have purchased it.

Both are excellent soaps ... preference for one over the other is a YMMV thing, IMO.

MdC will likely last longer, as lathering seems to barely make a dent. MdC can be 'drying' to some.

LPL is a softer soap, and it seems that it might not last as long, i.e. more is used each lathering session. LPL tends to be more moisturizing.

102 18,652
 02-08-2014, 09:37 AM
User Info
Thanks for the insights.

(02-08-2014, 09:34 AM)Agravic Wrote: LPL is newer to the scene, and most people have only recently heard about it and/or purchased it.

MdC is more established, and there are more folks, myself included, who have purchased it.

Both are excellent soaps ... preference for one over the other is a YMMV thing, IMO.

MdC will likely last longer, as lathering seems to barely make a dent. MdC can be 'drying' to some.

LPL is a softer soap, and it seems that it might not last as long, i.e. more is used each lathering session. LPL tends to be more moisturizing.

Will look for that thread, thankd

(02-08-2014, 09:31 AM)fbones24 Wrote: I stated a post here talking about lpl. You can read that thread and I think you'll get some insight. I recently traded my mdc. I also recently purchased lpl and will not be selling our trading it.

They are not alike at all actually. I like lpl more than mdc in every way...scent, lather, post shave. In my opinion, it is the superior soap.

18 326
 02-15-2014, 03:48 AM
User Info
(02-08-2014, 09:31 AM)fbones24 Wrote: I stated a post here talking about lpl. You can read that thread and I think you'll get some insight. I recently traded my mdc. I also recently purchased lpl and will not be selling our trading it.

Agree, Biggrin Rolleyes In my case this soap is more sliding Cool

8 1,683
 02-15-2014, 04:53 AM
User Info
I have only tried a sample size of LPL, and didn't think it lived up to the hype. Since I don't have much luck with samples of anything, maybe I need to buy a whole tin to give to a fair shot.

31 1,800
 02-15-2014, 05:34 AM
User Info
Personally, I'm glad to have both as I appreciate the herbal scents of many of the French soaps. I can't say that one is obviously better than the other.

34 156
 02-15-2014, 05:35 AM
User Info
I have some on the way, very excited to try it. I was interested in the face that people said it mousturizes.

I would like to have both as well but the mdc is a little pricey. Been trying to trade for it.

18 326
 02-15-2014, 08:13 AM
User Info
Other than both being French artisan soap makers, you cannot compare these two at all. So very different, and whilst I have both these soaps......

I do not have a preference of one over the other, as others have stated I do find that LPL too be more post shave moisturising qualities.

From a price point: Both 200g Jars one Metal other being Glass.
MDC comes in @ €39 euros and LPL @ €25 euros.

Both soaps produce very stable excellent lather.

Charles U.K

0 2,428
 02-15-2014, 08:32 AM
User Info
(02-08-2014, 09:34 AM)Agravic Wrote: LPL is newer to the scene, and most people have only recently heard about it and/or purchased it.

This...I slightly prefer LPL and may be posting my backup tub of MaC...

33 548
 02-15-2014, 08:34 AM
User Info
I will be stalking the selling forum.

(02-15-2014, 08:32 AM)daverasi Wrote:

This...I slightly prefer LPL and may be posting my backup tub of MaC...

18 326
 02-15-2014, 08:38 AM
User Info
(02-15-2014, 04:53 AM)Bowhnter Wrote: I have only tried a sample size of LPL, and didn't think it lived up to the hype. Since I don't have much luck with samples of anything, maybe I need to buy a whole tin to give to a fair shot.
Mike, I too have never found the performance of most samples anywhere close to that of the full product. I usually put it down to inadequate loading because of size limitation.

31 5,293
 02-15-2014, 08:58 AM
User Info
(02-15-2014, 08:38 AM)Optometrist Wrote:
(02-15-2014, 04:53 AM)Bowhnter Wrote: I have only tried a sample size of LPL, and didn't think it lived up to the hype. Since I don't have much luck with samples of anything, maybe I need to buy a whole tin to give to a fair shot.
Mike, I too have never found the performance of most samples anywhere close to that of the full product. I usually put it down to inadequate loading because of size limitation.

Thank you for your observation, David. I am slowly coming to realize this, as well. Many of the samples I have are disappointing in that they do not live up to the reviews others are making. Thought maybe it was a YMMV thing, but beginning to believe it is sample size.

3 543
 02-15-2014, 09:06 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I also tried a LPL sample and was sorely disappointed in the performance. MdC was far superior. YMMV.

47 1,924
 02-15-2014, 09:09 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Yes, YMMV and all that good stuff, BUT I wouldn't judge performance from a sample, it makes a difference when you are lathering from a jar. This goes for both, MdC an LPL Wink

88 4,233
 02-15-2014, 11:08 AM
User Info
^^ I second this statement! ^^

65 799
 02-15-2014, 12:05 PM
User Info
(02-15-2014, 09:09 AM)beartrap Wrote: Yes, YMMV and all that good stuff, BUT I wouldn't judge performance from a sample, it makes a difference when you are lathering from a jar. This goes for both, MdC an LPL Wink
But, continuing my thought from above, if a sample were smushed into the bottom of a bowl wouldn't that be a fair test or not? I press the samples in thinly (small samples) but cover a fairly broad area. I would have guessed that that would be pretty much like a tub full. But would like to hear thoughts.

3 543
 02-15-2014, 12:14 PM
User Info
(02-15-2014, 12:05 PM)john parker Wrote:
(02-15-2014, 09:09 AM)beartrap Wrote: Yes, YMMV and all that good stuff, BUT I wouldn't judge performance from a sample, it makes a difference when you are lathering from a jar. This goes for both, MdC an LPL Wink
But, continuing my thought from above, if a sample were smushed into the bottom of a bowl wouldn't that be a fair test or not? I press the samples in thinly (small samples) but cover a fairly broad area. I would have guessed that that would be pretty much like a tub full. But would like to hear thoughts.

...or a soon-to-become-empty tub Biggrin

i agree. it sounds plausible.

7 1,624
 02-15-2014, 12:44 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(02-15-2014, 12:05 PM)john parker Wrote:

It would be fair... I gave up on many soaps because of samples, glad I've retried them to find new favorites Smile

88 4,233
 02-16-2014, 02:37 AM
User Info
Excuse my ignorance but what is LPL

12 848