02-08-2014, 04:01 PM
User Info
Well, I did it. Living in Oregon, we have been faced with an uncharacteristically large amount of snow, and at the last minute I decided to rough it out over at my brothers house. Since showing up here it has been regulated that you must use traction tires, and our bridge has been closed. This has been dubbed snowmaggeddon by the locals, however people from states with real snow snicker. The horror of the situation didn't fully sink home until this morning when I woke up and groggily rubbed my hands across my face.

I forgot all my shaving supplies. I remembered to bring my brother Christmas in Tuscany, and some ABCBA-RR, so I'm surrounded by amazing DE shaving supplies, just am unable to get rid of my scruff. I keep telling myself things will be ok...but for the first time during snowmageddon I am starting to lose hope. I probably will not be able to shave until Monday or Tuesday...oh, the horror!

9 149
 02-08-2014, 04:17 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
We haven't had a snow like this in Portland for about five years. I didn't bother to put my studs on this year, because we've had such mild winters. I'm hoping that I don't have to get out the chains for work Monday morning. You mean your brother won't loan you a razor and a new blade after your generous software gifts?

38 5,201
 02-08-2014, 04:53 PM
User Info
You will have to leave a travel set at your Brother's house for emergency purposes.

122 13,222
 02-08-2014, 05:07 PM
User Info
How much is "a lot"? I've heard it's been 3-4 inches.

6 229
 02-08-2014, 05:20 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(02-08-2014, 05:07 PM)tailoredfamcam Wrote: How much is "a lot"? I've heard it's been 3-4 inches.
For Portland that's a lot. On another note. Do we have enough people around here for a Pacific Northwest gathering(PNWG?)

70 1,098
 02-08-2014, 05:47 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
Lots of us have been getting extreme, uncharacteristic weather for wherever we happen to hail from. Hang in there!

0 1,137
 02-08-2014, 06:15 PM
User Info
My brothers house got almost 10" over a couple days...which for here is a once in a decade sort of occurance or even less frequently. The last time it snowed THIS hard that I can remember was about 25 years ago...but it lasted much longer and had actual 5' icecicles.

I should probably have an emergency grooming kit in my car or over here, thats a good idea :-)

9 149
 02-08-2014, 07:05 PM
User Info
Doesn't your brother have a sharp knife of some sorts?! Biggrin

83 21,115
 02-08-2014, 08:24 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I just returned from a walk and we have about 6" in our Portland neighborhood. However, the snow has now changed to freezing rain, a sign that it's starting to warm up. I'm hoping that it changes to rain by tomorrow, so that everyone can get to work safely on Monday. There are so many hills in Portland, and so many drivers from California and places where they don't see snow, that a little snow paralyzes the city. It doesn't make sense that people are inexperienced, since you can be skiing on the slopes in less than an hour from downtown Portland.

I'm unsure how many people are available for a gathering. Between Seattle and Portland, and everywhere in between, I'd think there would be enough crazy wetshavers interested in checking out everyone else's equipment? One thing is for sure, we have the beer!

38 5,201
 02-08-2014, 08:31 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(02-08-2014, 08:24 PM)evnpar Wrote: I just returned from a walk and we have about 6" in our Portland neighborhood. However, the snow has now changed to freezing rain, a sign that it's starting to warm up. I'm hoping that it changes to rain by tomorrow, so that everyone can get to work safely on Monday. There are so many hills in Portland, and so many drivers from California and places where they don't see snow, that a little snow paralyzes the city. It doesn't make sense that people are inexperienced, since you can be skiing on the slopes in less than an hour from downtown Portland.

I'm unsure how many people are available for a gathering. Between Seattle and Portland, and everywhere in between, I'd think there would be enough crazy wetshavers interested in checking out everyone else's equipment? One thing is for sure, we have the beer!
And the coffee

70 1,098
 02-08-2014, 08:52 PM
User Info
Oooh! A trip down to Portland does sound nice! Biggrin

I hope you lads have a good meet-up!

83 21,115
 02-08-2014, 08:58 PM
User Info
Due to global warming much of the globe has been experiencing extremely cold temperatures and increased snowfall.

Have fun at your meet.

32 6,472
 02-09-2014, 12:50 AM
User Info
Climate change affects us all - and while 20-25 cm of snow is nothing for those of us who are used to it, most of the world simply don't have the mindset nor the winter tires on their cars to deal with it... best option is to crawl back in bed with a book and a cup of cocoa until it goes away Wink

Also; snow + rain = ice on the roads - be careful.

3 4,684
 02-09-2014, 11:16 AM
User Info
That is one thing that i'm very thankful, living in the Pacific NW we are spoiled with the quality of beer and coffee and sometimes aren't even aware of it.

I would love to meet up, but with Nursing School and my jobs it's not always and "easy" task.

20-25cm Isn't really that much snow, and the few times i drove on it i didn't have any problems. Well no problems past the fact that there are so many people around here to are ridiculous! There are a few inches of compact snow on the roads (nope, plows are not in effect) "so lets drive through it at 55mph with no traction devices." "We're going uphill? This is a GREAT time to stop...wait, i cannot begin driving again? What if i just give it as much acceleration as the car will offer?" Dealing with these things has a lot to do with the areas precautions, but it also has a lot to do with the way the people react to it.

All in all it's been a fun experience...and i keep feeling the scruff getting thicker on my face. I Should be able to shave this afternoon, however it's going to feel great Smile I did think that I kind of wished I had a beard yesterday while trekking to the store because a beard looks SO much cooler when it's full of frozen condensation. Thanks for everyone's feedback!

9 149