02-08-2014, 04:13 PM
User Info
I received my Razolution razor today. It is quite different. Upon opening the box, the parts seem to be made well. The handle is made of rubber but still is not bad.
It works on the same idea as the Gillette Trac II razor from 1971. You have 2 blades on each side. So it’s a double, double edge razor.
I decided to load it with 2 of my blades, Polsilver and not the blades it came with so I could fairly compare it to my other razors. If their blades were inferior then it could cause me to give it a bad review.
On to the shave. I notice right away that the correct angle on this razor is very critical. The razor has to be parallel to the face in order for it to cut anything. That’s because the blades are set at a very steep angle. Once you get the correct angle it is quite aggressive. If you don’t have the correct angle you won’t cut anything.
I don’t care for the shape of the handle. The way the handle flares out at the end sort of gets in the way when you hold the razor upside down while going up under your chin. That may be something you could get use to. I’ll know better after a few more shaves.
Once you get use to it, it could be a nice razor. I’ll use it for a week or so and post again to let you know how things are going with it.
[Image: uZAICpx.jpg]

5 1,537
 02-08-2014, 04:28 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Yikes! A double DE! I wonder if Gillette ever tried producing one? Regardless, I'll pass on this razor revolution- reminds me of carts, but many thanks for your review. I agree with your handle observations - I didn't like the fluted Tradere handle either and this appears much more extreme.

99 18,011
 02-08-2014, 06:18 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
For me the biggest win in the DE razor is that only one razor edge is gliding over the skin. The whole problem with multi-blade setups is that the trailing blade is going over un-lathered skin. This is so basic and so simple, yet here we go a double-DE razor. Best of luck with it, maybe it's a good thing. But I personally would reject it on principle of operation.

26 1,739
 02-08-2014, 06:24 PM
User Info
I heard about this razor several months ago but the Amazon seller was only offering it to UK customers at the time. Let us know how your shaves go.

121 13,127
 02-08-2014, 06:31 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing. I've never seen one of those razors. Here is a open comb one as well:

http://www.linder.de/en/artikel/Straight...Fiber_Look

I think I'll pass.

2 97
 02-08-2014, 06:36 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(02-08-2014, 06:31 PM)Zondervan Wrote: Thanks for sharing. I've never seen one of those razors. Here is a open comb one as well:

I think I'll pass.

I just visited the link, wanted to see if they had a double edge straight... Tongue

99 18,011
 02-08-2014, 07:08 PM
User Info
Holy cow! That is.............different!
You are a brave man! Let us know how the shaves go and best of luck. Biggrin

83 21,081
 02-08-2014, 07:29 PM
User Info
This is what it looks like apart.

[Image: 7k68Lc4.jpg]

(02-08-2014, 06:31 PM)Zondervan Wrote: Thanks for sharing. I've never seen one of those razors. Here is a open comb one as well:
I think I'll pass.

I didn't know they made so many models.

5 1,537
 02-08-2014, 10:03 PM
User Info
Let us know how it works out for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

0 72
 02-09-2014, 04:48 AM
  • sm304
  • Carnoustie, UK.
User Info
I have this model too, and I find that it is easier to use when fitted with a Weber Classic handle, or similar. The fluted rubber handle does get in the way somewhat, with the almost parallel angle required of this razor. I do like it though, although only every now and then for a change of pace.

Scott.

0 89
 02-10-2014, 10:28 AM
User Info
I just completed my second shave with the Razolution razor. I find it more trouble than it’s worth trying to keep the correct angle for it to work. I have to go back and touch up patches that I missed because I did not have the right angle for it to cut. I guess with practice one could get to like it.
I’ll continue to use it for awhile to give it a complete review. I don’t think I will keep it. I will probably put it in a PIF rather soon.

5 1,537
 02-10-2014, 11:53 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Is there a way to not use the middle plate and use this thing as a regular DE? That may save it for you...

26 1,739
 02-10-2014, 12:00 PM
User Info
I still can't get used to that design, the more I see it. Best of luck with it!

83 21,081
 02-10-2014, 03:07 PM
User Info
(02-10-2014, 11:53 AM)vferdman Wrote: Is there a way to not use the middle plate and use this thing as a regular DE? That may save it for you...

I'll have to give that a try. Interesting idea.

I tried to use it without the middle plate but the center screw is too long so you cannot tighten the handle all of the way.
Even if I could, it would still be a steep angle.

5 1,537
 02-10-2014, 09:43 PM
User Info
Yikes! Thanks for sharing, but this is the whole reason we all got away from multiple blade razors. One blade only for me thank you! Biggrin

69 2,186
 02-11-2014, 07:47 AM
User Info
The website shows different models including one with a carbon fiber stainless steel handle including an extra open comb top plate so it seems you can use the razor with one blade. However, with shipping to the US excluding VAT is about $107

121 13,127
 02-11-2014, 09:22 AM
User Info
(02-11-2014, 07:47 AM)slantman Wrote: The website shows different models including one with a carbon fiber stainless steel handle including an extra open comb top plate so it seems you can use the razor with one blade. However, with shipping to the US excluding VAT is about $107

Mine cannot be used with one blade. What website are you talking about? Please post a link.

I just went to the Linder site. The Open Comb model is not a 4 edge razor. It is just an ordinary OC razor.

5 1,537
 02-11-2014, 09:46 AM
User Info
(02-11-2014, 09:22 AM)shave/brush Wrote:
(02-11-2014, 07:47 AM)slantman Wrote: The website shows different models including one with a carbon fiber stainless steel handle including an extra open comb top plate so it seems you can use the razor with one blade. However, with shipping to the US excluding VAT is about $107

Mine cannot be used with one blade. What website are you talking about? Please post a link.

I just went to the Linder site. The Open Comb model is not a 4 edge razor. It is just an ordinary OC razor.

Check this

121 13,127
 02-11-2014, 10:35 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
looks like there are two different models. One that is designed as a single DE blade head that looks remarkably like EJ/Muhle and comes with a very interesting open comb base plate as an accessory. Cost is 69 Euros (including VAT).

The other is designed as a two DE blade head that was the subject of this thread. That one goes for 49 Euros (including VAT).

Hmm... the two blade model is 20 Euros cheaper. I wonder why...

Still, the single blade model is very interesting because of the OC base plate accessory. I have an EJ DE89 and although it was a great beginner razor, I never use it anymore because it is too mild and i prefer open combs. Perhaps this OC head may be a good fit for me. I am not spending that kind of money to find out, though.

26 1,739
 02-11-2014, 06:29 PM
User Info
I just saw a review of this razor on Amazon where the guy used just one blade in the razor. All 3 pieces of the head but one blade. He said he got a very smooth close shave because of the extreme angle of the blade. I think I will try that next. There may be hope for this razor yet.
Here is where the guy reviewed it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/...ewpoints=1

5 1,537