02-08-2014, 10:09 PM
User Info
So I have been DE shaving for a few months and really enjoy the ritual and extra time spent trying to get the best shave.

My beard is very dark and coarse. I generally make two passes WTG and ATG and touch-ups. Occasionally I will throw in XTG in certain areas. Most shaves are BBS.

I have several DE's that I use and find that I really like the clean smooth shave the Astra SP blades give me.

As my technique has improved I have noticed that several areas are still tricky to shave without irritation or cuts. The areas are my neck around my adams apple and my upper lip below my nose and finally my chin (I have a dimple) that makes it difficult to shave closely.

I have tried shorter strokes, stretching the skin, taking my time but ultimately in most circumstances it leads to redness and cuts. It's very difficult to get BBS in these areas.

So this leads to the title of my thread. I find that it's much easier, faster and less chance for incident when I use an Xteme3 Cartridge razor to touch-up these areas. Each time this leads to a great BBS and my face feels great.

Sometimes I touch-up other areas that still have small patches of hair also. The cartridge razor seems to make it easier to make straight lines for my side burns as well.

Am I committing a DE shaving faux pas?

Does anyone else do this?

Is there a special technique I can try with the DE for those areas?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

0 72
 02-09-2014, 05:05 AM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
I also have trouble spots in the exact spots you describe. I have used a Schick cart razor for my touch-ups. Are our hands going to fall off because of our mortal sins.? I doubt it. Whatever ends it takes to get to your goal. Just do it and "damn the torpedos, full steam ahead"!

0 76
 02-09-2014, 07:09 AM
User Info
Well, I for one go WTG, XTG, then VERY slowly ATG on my chin and just under and on my jaw. I never go ATG on my neck, because I would have so many nicks and razor burn. I noticed that when I found the right soap, Voila it was much smoother sailing. From what I have gathered in information and experience Your angle could be off, the blade might be too sharp, Improper lubrication. You might be better off settling for looking presentable.

0 295
 02-09-2014, 07:47 AM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
I agree. Don't underestimate the value of a DFS.

0 76
 02-09-2014, 09:31 AM
User Info
I hardly ever go ATG, if at all.
For me it is about a comfortable shave that looks great during the day and good enough in the evening, with enough growth for a comfy shave for next morning.
If i go nuts, not only it feels irritated but it throws the schedule off.

You could also try a single edge razor and if a cartridge serves you well in the tough spots, an injector razor might work well for you.

To be honest though, i get a one pass dfs with zero irritation with my folding CJB and sanguine shavette. It took me a while to get there but they really can't be beat.
I only use a safety razor these days when i'm either pressed for time or not ''in the zone''' for a straight shave.

6 860
 02-09-2014, 10:08 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I have trouble in those spots too and took to using a Mach 3 to clean up several years ago. Truth be told, I'll often shave entirely with my Mach 3 and it's the only razor I take when travelling. I'm a heretic I know, but one who always gets a BBS shave.

7 934
 02-09-2014, 10:15 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
When using a straight, I often touch up with a DE. No point sacrificing a good shave tomorrow with a bad one today. So I believe you are doing the right thing touching up with your cart razor after using your DE. As your technique improves you will become less reliant on the cart and eventually not need it at all.

99 18,011
 02-09-2014, 01:35 PM
User Info
(02-09-2014, 10:15 AM)ben74 Wrote: So I believe you are doing the right thing touching up with your cart razor after using your DE. As your technique improves you will become less reliant on the cart and eventually not need it at all.

+1 Do what works best for as long as you are enjoying your shaves!

83 21,109
 02-09-2014, 09:53 PM
User Info
(02-09-2014, 01:35 PM)celestino Wrote:
(02-09-2014, 10:15 AM)ben74 Wrote: So I believe you are doing the right thing touching up with your cart razor after using your DE. As your technique improves you will become less reliant on the cart and eventually not need it at all.

+1 Do what works best for as long as you are enjoying your shaves!

+2 If it works for you, that's the right way to do it

3 4,667
 02-10-2014, 06:39 PM
User Info
Thanks for the support and info.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

0 72