02-09-2014, 09:07 PM
User Info
I know, "limited editions" seem to come out all the time. But how many have you seen come in the form of a solid resin Italian boar for $30 shipped (discount code: RB)? Thought at least a few would like to know...

[Image: omega-razor-brush-fb-group-special-limit...boar-3.gif]

Link to Shoebox Shaveshop

Does anyone already have one?

47 1,270
 02-09-2014, 10:07 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Looks great!

99 18,011
 02-10-2014, 02:45 AM
User Info
Do you know if the knot ring is metal or plastic?

Thanks.

(02-09-2014, 09:07 PM)kentclark Wrote: I know, "limited editions" seem to come out all the time. But how many have you seen come in the form of a solid resin Italian boar for $30 shipped (discount code: RB)? Thought at least a few would like to know...

[Image: omega-razor-brush-fb-group-special-limit...boar-3.gif]

Link to Shoebox Shaveshop

Does anyone already have one?

21 751
 02-10-2014, 04:13 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I love Omega boars, but this looks like a 49 or 48 or Proraso in a nicer handle for $20 premium. Not for me, thank you. I prefer smaller brushes and less "loud" in appearance. Knowing how Omega makes their knots I would say I am 95% sure the "Golden" ring is plastic. Nothing wrong with it, but the "gold" will probably peel in short order and expose black underneath. Would be better if the plastic was black to begin with and avoid that. Would still look just as out of place as gold.

My experience with Omega has taught me to buy their knots without handles or to buy very cheap brushes with knots I like and re-handle them. Then I get a boar brush that is simply peerless. Semogue boars can not touch Omega for knots, but the construction and design of Omega brushes has always left more to be desired.

Actually, if anyone wanted to spend $30 on an Omega boar, I highly recommend B&B Essentials sold by WCS. I know, it's a brush made for the other forum, but it is truly one of the very best boar brushes I have ever tried. Omega did an outstanding job on this one. And as an added bonus proceeds from the sales of this particular brush go to breast cancer research. They used to be $20 and come in small batches, but currently there is a big batch of $30 brushes with charity donation built in. If you have not tried a B&B Essentials Boar by Omega you are seriously missing out.

26 1,736
 02-10-2014, 05:34 AM
User Info
(02-10-2014, 04:13 AM)vferdman Wrote: I love Omega boars, but this looks like a 49 or 48 or Proraso in a nicer handle for $20 premium. Not for me, thank you. I prefer smaller brushes and less "loud" in appearance. Knowing how Omega makes their knots I would say I am 95% sure the "Golden" ring is plastic. Nothing wrong with it, but the "gold" will probably peel in short order and expose black underneath. Would be better if the plastic was black to begin with and avoid that. Would still look just as out of place as gold.

My experience with Omega has taught me to buy their knots without handles or to buy very cheap brushes with knots I like and re-handle them. Then I get a boar brush that is simply peerless. Semogue boars can not touch Omega for knots, but the construction and design of Omega brushes has always left more to be desired.

Actually, if anyone wanted to spend $30 on an Omega boar, I highly recommend B&B Essentials sold by WCS. I know, it's a brush made for the other forum, but it is truly one of the very best boar brushes I have ever tried. Omega did an outstanding job on this one. And as an added bonus proceeds from the sales of this particular brush go to breast cancer research. They used to be $20 and come in small batches, but currently there is a big batch of $30 brushes with charity donation built in. If you have not tried a B&B Essentials Boar by Omega you are seriously missing out.

How do you remove the knot without destroying it?

0 295
 02-10-2014, 08:01 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(02-10-2014, 05:34 AM)BigMark Wrote: How do you remove the knot without destroying it?

Very carefully. This is not as easy as buying a knot from TGN. That's my preferred method of making Omega boars. I use a cutting wheel in a rotary tool and go nice and easy. I do it with brushes that have that black/silver/gold ring (it's all black plastic underneath). That ring is actually a bucket that goes down the handle. This protects the knot should my cutting wheel go a bit deeper. Eventually you get the knot liberated and grind the rest of the old handle remnance off with file or sand paper. Again, much easier to just buy a knot from TGN, but lately they;ve been out of my favorite Omega knot, 22mm blond (unpainted). So I may have to buy the 10029, which appears to have the same knot and liberate it from that ugly handle.

26 1,736
 02-10-2014, 11:06 AM
User Info
Ooooh! Lovely colours! Vive Italia! Smile

82 21,056
 02-10-2014, 11:30 AM
User Info
I had two of the Tri-Color Semogues, I sold one new and the other's paint started peeling after a dozen uses. I've ordered one of these as I have come to not want any painted handles. Here's hoping the gold ring is metal and not chromed plastic.

129 6,685
 02-10-2014, 08:32 PM
User Info
(02-10-2014, 04:13 AM)vferdman Wrote: I love Omega boars, but this looks like a 49 or 48 or Proraso in a nicer handle for $20 premium. Not for me, thank you. I prefer smaller brushes and less "loud" in appearance. Knowing how Omega makes their knots I would say I am 95% sure the "Golden" ring is plastic. Nothing wrong with it, but the "gold" will probably peel in short order and expose black underneath. Would be better if the plastic was black to begin with and avoid that. Would still look just as out of place as gold.

Vladimir, I want to affirm that you have my utmost respect in your shaving experience and craftsmanship as well as your thoughtful posts. I will take a difference of opinion on a couple points:

-It's closer to a $14 difference from a comparable Omega 49 (including shipping) for a unique, OEM resin handle.
-Semogue and Omega knots are different and beautiful in their own way. The difference in the selection, knot packing, bristle finishing and splay endear both makers to me. I don't think one knot is drastically "better" than another, just different.

I will agree that I guess the ring is probably plastic, but I don't imagine it will be an issue. I also agree that the brush is a bit "loud," and for this reason only, I don't plan on purchasing it. It would throw off the aura of my nook. Biggrin

Surely there are proud Italian members going bonkers for this brush.

47 1,270
 02-11-2014, 05:07 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(02-10-2014, 08:32 PM)kentclark Wrote: Vladimir, I want to affirm that you have my utmost respect in your shaving experience and craftsmanship as well as your thoughtful posts. I will take a difference of opinion on a couple points:

-It's closer to a $14 difference from a comparable Omega 49 (including shipping) for a unique, OEM resin handle.
-Semogue and Omega knots are different and beautiful in their own way. The difference in the selection, knot packing, bristle finishing and splay endear both makers to me. I don't think one knot is drastically "better" than another, just different.

I will agree that I guess the ring is probably plastic, but I don't imagine it will be an issue. I also agree that the brush is a bit "loud," and for this reason only, I don't plan on purchasing it. It would throw off the aura of my nook. Biggrin

Surely there are proud Italian members going bonkers for this brush.

Tom, as you know, I actually prefer Omega boar to Semogue in terms of the actual bristle and performance. I especially like the blond (unpainted) Omega boar knots. So far the only Semogue boar that even came close to satisfying me was the 1800 you traded me for the Omega restore I made. I really like the 1800, but mostly for its construction and design. I still think the knot was better on the Omega restore. Again, this is just all very personal preference stuff. I think this "loud" Omega is probably a great brush, but it's pretty much the size of the 49, which is way too big for my liking. If Omega started making resin handles like this for their medium and small brushes and toned down the color scheme, I think they may have some new customers. Plastic ring is not a problem for me, just as long as it's not made to look like metal. It's the fake aspect that puts me off, not the fact that plastic ring is bad. I also find that plastic likes to shed whatever metallic paint is on it in due time, which makes for a very ugly effect.

Anyway, I understand and appreciate the effort Omega is putting out here with this brush and I completely understand people wanting to buy it, but it's just not for me. I prefer the understated classy Italian design. As I said, I am a proud owner of B&B Essentials boar brush made by Omega and I think it is THE boar brush to have. I have yet to find a better boar brush. And that includes the ones I made myself.

26 1,736
 02-11-2014, 06:04 AM
User Info
Well, YMMV, as always! SmileSmile

When it comes to Omega boar knots, I vastly prefer the banded boar ones. That type of hair is bleached and dyed, and that treatment also makes them softer on the face - that's why I like them better than the non-painted knots. They generally have an healthy amount of backbone without excessive density, which is a good thing - it is always nice when flow-through, soft tips and backbone are combined.

That is the reason why, although I generally prefer Semogue (as I have a huge collection of themBlush), I consider that brushes like the Omega 11126 and 73645 to be amongst the best boar brushes that I've tried.

I've had a look at the B&B essentials brush, and I'm sure it is a great boar brush, but that handle shape (I don't like it... Confused) and the fact that it mounts Omega non-died hair just puts me off... Tongue

2 5,545
 02-11-2014, 10:08 AM
User Info
I'm going to add my opinion to this interesting, but highly subjective thread.

An Omega 10066 boar was my first brush in 2010. I've always liked Omega knots but disliked the plastic handles and the black sleeve the knots are set in. The Semogue SOC has now become my favorite boar. The one Omega I have in my rotation is a Rudy Vey custom, and he removed the black sleeve from the knot. The Omega versus Semogue debate is entirely a matter of personal preference. I like the splay of Semogue knots but I can see someone liking the tighter Omega knots better.

I like the color scheme on this new Omega LE and don't find it too "loud". I also like the size and shape of the Omega 48 and 49 handles, which this LE is based on. This reflects my preference for larger, longer handles. If this handle is solid resin, it represents a huge improvement on the light plastic in the 48 and 49.

Now on to the black ring on Omega brushes. It's called a ring but it's actually the top of the sleeve the knot is set it. I generally don't care for the way it looks.

My first Omega, the 10066, was passed on to a friend. At some point, the black ring on it split. It doesn't affect the performance of the knot, which is still excellent, but it's unattractive to look at.

[Image: uCNM3TL.jpg]

For me, the gold looks worse than the black. Moroever, I question how long that ring is going to remain gold. The black ring is made from black plastic, so it will always be black. If the gold ring represents paint over that black plastic, it's virtually certain to peel off. Or the gold ring could break, as was the case with the brush above. Either way, a gold ring with black showing in various parts will not look good.

That's as far as I can go based on a picture. It would be great is someone who gets one writes a review, particularly if it focuses on the handle. We all know the qualities of Omega knots, but a good description of the handle would be extremely useful.

48 5,727
 02-11-2014, 03:26 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
To add my two cents to this very subjective discussion - Cool - the only boar bristle I ever liked was that in the Semogue 1305 and 830 (and perhaps the finer-gauge bristle in my Vulfix 2199). The rest has always made me think of broom straw. Tongue

In the meantime, I have settled on the more flexible, fan-shaped badger brushes, while maintaining a healthy respect for boar brushes as truly serviceable alternatives.

I ordered a couple of these limited edition Omegas to support the effort, though I may never actually use them. The 49, upon which they are based, is a well regarded brush, and I'm curious to see them with a true resin handle. Though I, too, typically prefer subtle to loud, I like the appearance of these Omegas. I will put one of them on display, and one or both of them may end up as gifts to fellow wetshavers and fanciers of the 49.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-12-2014, 04:32 AM
User Info
Thanks for the thought-provoking posts, gentlemen. Looking forward to reviews on this brush.

47 1,270
 02-12-2014, 04:48 AM
  • Fidel
  • Madrid (Spain)
User Info
It looks great, but since I got my first quality badger brush, piggies were pushed into the background.

0 31
 02-12-2014, 05:02 AM
User Info
(02-11-2014, 10:08 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I like the color scheme on this new Omega LE and don't find it too "loud". I also like the size and shape of the Omega 48 and 49 handles, which this LE is based on. This reflects my preference for larger, longer handles. If this handle is solid resin, it represents a huge improvement on the light plastic in the 48 and 49.

[...]

For me, the gold looks worse than the black. Moroever, I question how long that ring is going to remain gold. The black ring is made from black plastic, so it will always be black. If the gold ring represents paint over that black plastic, it's virtually certain to peel off. Or the gold ring could break, as was the case with the brush above. Either way, a gold ring with black showing in various parts will not look good.

I have to agree that a solid resin handle is indeed a improvement of these brushes.
Omega knows how to make nice and sturdy resin handles, but you rarely see those on their boar brushes. One of my Omegas is a 73645, and the handle is one of the best shaving brush handles that I've had in my hands, competing with no shame with Simpson or Rooney handles.

As for the gold ring... I have a 11126 wit the mentioned gold ring, bought more than 2 years ago, and so far, so good (fingers crossed!) Smile

2 5,545
 02-13-2014, 05:29 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
One of the members on the R&B board just posted that the gold ring is metal. I will let you know for sure when mine arrives. But first we will have to wait for the ice and snow to leave Georgia.

175 23,752
 02-13-2014, 05:57 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Size comparison with a Semogue SOC.

[Image: oQCQ3ZH.jpg]

This image comes from Arley (aka Azarius on the forums)

175 23,752
 02-13-2014, 06:07 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(02-13-2014, 05:29 AM)Johnny Wrote: One of the members on the R&B board just posted that the gold ring is metal. I will let you know for sure when mine arrives. But first we will have to wait for the ice and snow to leave Georgia.

I'm glad I remembered to ask the question of the ring, on the other hand I just noticed Shoebox does not ship to Portugal, so I don't know how I'll be able to score one of these brushes. Undecided

26 4,896
 02-13-2014, 08:10 AM
User Info
(02-13-2014, 05:57 AM)Johnny Wrote: Size comparison with a Semogue SOC.

[Image: oQCQ3ZH.jpg]

Good Lord that is big. I thought the SOC had too much splay, not sure how I will feel once this arrives.

129 6,685