02-11-2014, 07:37 AM
  • Fuggles
  • Ottawa, Canada
User Info
Hey guys,

When I first got my 1966 Gillette Tech last year, brand new in the blister pack, I decided to use the blades that came with it. Well, not knowing they weren't stainless, I left the blade in the razor and it, of course, rusted pretty badly and got rust on the chrome finish of the razor itself.

I was able to clean most of the rust off with a wet towel and the rest came off with a quick scrub with Bar Keepers Friend. I have since heard from a friend that leaving those non-stainless blades in your razor and the ensuing rust can permanently damage the chrome finish of the razor.

Is there any truth to this? That would have meant guys in the "old days" would have ruined lots of razors...I can't see every guy religiously removing and drying their blades after every shave.

Cheers!

0 30
 02-11-2014, 07:47 AM
User Info
I never use carbon blades because they are too fussy, but I do know that chromium plating is just about the hardest plating there is (at least for razors and "general use" stuff, not some highly specialized or technical item), so I would imagine you'd have to be pretty derelict to let the carbon blade's rust really affect the razor's plating.

I know this off-topic, but if I could make one small suggestion, it would be to avoid using Bar Keeper's Friend. While I find it great for cleaning pots and pans, I would think it too abrasive, over time, for razors. At the very least, it'll scuff up the chrome plating pretty good.

84 1,505
 02-11-2014, 07:54 AM
  • Fuggles
  • Ottawa, Canada
User Info
(02-11-2014, 07:47 AM)jpakstis Wrote: I never use carbon blades because they are too fussy, but I do know that chromium plating is just about the hardest plating there is (at least for razors and "general use" stuff, not some highly specialized or technical item), so I would imagine you'd have to be pretty derelict to let the carbon blade's rust really affect the razor's plating.

I know this off-topic, but if I could make one small suggestion, it would be to avoid using Bar Keeper's Friend. While I find it great for cleaning pots and pans, I would think it too abrasive, over time, for razors. At the very least, it'll scuff up the chrome plating pretty good.

Thanks for the reply and advice!
Yeah, I don't use BKF for general cleaning of my razors, but as a home brewer I use it all the time on my pots and other stainless fittings. It's well known for its rust removing abilities, so that's the first thing I thought of for the task at hand.

0 30
 02-11-2014, 08:41 AM
User Info
I remove, dry and store my blades separately from my DE, every day. Only takes 30 seconds or so and have never had an issue with staining. I don't see anything better than this, but YMMV. You could always finish off by dipping it into rubbing alcohol.
Good luck.

82 21,077
 02-11-2014, 08:54 AM
  • Fuggles
  • Ottawa, Canada
User Info
Yeah, that's what I do now, but I'm just curious if the rust from the blade might have pitted the chrome and embedded bits of ferrous metal in the chrome, therefor perpetually rust in my razor forever.

0 30
 02-11-2014, 09:02 AM
User Info
(02-11-2014, 08:54 AM)Fuggles Wrote: Yeah, that's what I do now, but I'm just curious if the rust from the blade might have pitted the chrome and embedded bits of ferrous metal in the chrome, therefor perpetually rust in my razor forever.

* I really don't see this happening and if you have cleaned it well, you shouldn't have an issue with it. Good luck and don't put to much thought into it and enjoy the razor! Biggrin

82 21,077
 02-11-2014, 09:54 AM
  • Fuggles
  • Ottawa, Canada
User Info
[/quote]

* I really don't see this happening and if you have cleaned it well, you shouldn't have an issue with it. Good luck and don't put to much thought into it and enjoy the razor! Biggrin
[/quote]

Good advice; very similar to sagely advice from my main hobby, homebrewing. "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!"

Cheers!

0 30
 02-11-2014, 10:24 AM
User Info
Exactly and enjoy the shaves! Biggrin

82 21,077
 02-11-2014, 01:55 PM
User Info
(02-11-2014, 08:54 AM)Fuggles Wrote: Yeah, that's what I do now, but I'm just curious if the rust from the blade might have pitted the chrome and embedded bits of ferrous metal in the chrome, therefor perpetually rust in my razor forever.

Fuggles, FWIW, my favorite hops for English Amber. Yumm!

But back to the subject.

That would have been my concern as well, but if it's happened you can't undo it and if it hasn't happened, don't do it again.

FWIW, I never remove my SS blades from any of my razors until I am truly done with them and they go into the can, and have never had any problems. Manufacturers don't use SS alloys that rust. Those alloys do exist, but the entire idea of a SS blade is that it doesn't rust under normal conditions. I no longer use carbon steel blades and see no reason to.

I find that an old toothbrush and a pea sized piece of toothpaste works fine for light impact cleaning of a razor. It's low abrasion too.

NEVER (!) use an abrasive on a gold plated razor. Trust me, I know from experience. My defense? I didn't know it was abrasive. Now I lean so far the other way (away from abrasives) you can't imagine. Just a good long industrial detergent soak (Planisol-M), hot if possible (no plastic - it'll also remove lacquer), and a water pik used as a pressure washer afterward; or the toothpaste/brush trick.

32 6,458
 02-11-2014, 02:58 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
As far as I know, Gillette never used chrome plating on their razors. Silver-colored razors were nickel-plated.

Traditionally, carbon steel blades were used once and thrown away. If you wanted such a blade to last longer, you gave it extra care to prolong its life, such as removing it from the razor, drying it, and honing it on the inside of a glass or in one of the mechanical stropping devices.

Like Celestino, I disassemble my razor and blade after each shave and clean them up. I favor three-piece razors because they make it so much easier. I also hand-strop my blades, which I suspect helps to remove impurities from the blade edge.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-11-2014, 06:30 PM
User Info
(02-11-2014, 08:41 AM)celestino Wrote: I remove, dry and store my blades separately from my DE, every day.

I also do this.

2 97
 02-12-2014, 11:33 AM
  • Fuggles
  • Ottawa, Canada
User Info
Yeah, they are nice (Fuggles) aren't they? British bitters are my favourite, with American IPAs a close second. I brew both styles a lot.

I did a "test" yesterday by leaving a blade in the razor , dipping the whole thing in water and just leaving it to air dry while I was at work.

No rust when I returned home (I figured the moisture would cause any damaged areas in the nickle plating to rust over the course of 6-7 hours) so I think I'm clear!

0 30
 02-12-2014, 12:11 PM
User Info
I disassemble every day also. Just the thought of the blade sitting in there with soap scum on it bothers me. I rinse it, dry it, and squirt alcohol on the blade after each use.

0 303
 02-12-2014, 05:08 PM
User Info
I recently started taking blades out when I started using a stainless razor. I've also been trying different blades in different razors as well, so I started putting dice on the blades to remember how many shaves i've had on a that particular one.

12 848
 02-12-2014, 06:32 PM
User Info
ironic that stainless steel razors can rust - while most other razors will not Biggrin

i could never have owned a razor prone to rust with blade sleeping inside - and that fits me well since stainless razors also are above the norm price-vise Cool more cash to spend on soaps & books & teddy-bears Sleepy

7 1,624
 02-12-2014, 08:47 PM
User Info
(02-12-2014, 06:32 PM)tonsorius Wrote: i could never have owned a razor prone to rust with blade sleeping inside - and that fits me well since stainless razors also are above the norm price-vise Cool more cash to spend on soaps & books & teddy-bears Sleepy

* Marius, not all stainless steel razors are expensive. Look at Webers; very reasonable and same price as a Merkur Progress Long Handle. Biggrin

82 21,077
 02-12-2014, 09:52 PM
User Info
(02-12-2014, 08:47 PM)celestino Wrote:
(02-12-2014, 06:32 PM)tonsorius Wrote: i could never have owned a razor prone to rust with blade sleeping inside - and that fits me well since stainless razors also are above the norm price-vise Cool more cash to spend on soaps & books & teddy-bears Sleepy

* Marius, not all stainless steel razors are expensive. Look at Webers; very reasonable and same price as a Merkur Progress Long Handle. Biggrin

i'm busted Sherlock Rolleyes Laughing1

the truth is - i really don't care about a razor's price tag as long as it is loveable Wink but to take out and handle a blade before it's finito is out of the question. for me it's similar to snap off shirt buttons before washing and sew them back after - to prevent them from being destroyed in the washing machine. i'm sorry but i'm terribly lazy Blush and a cheapo Tongue

7 1,624
 02-12-2014, 11:56 PM
User Info
Marius, I'm with you. Same reasons and I also leave it alone so as not to chance a cut. Handling something that sharp... well, I just don't need to so I don't.

32 6,458
 02-13-2014, 04:15 AM
User Info
This has been an interesting and informing post as I did not realize some folks remove the blades between shaves. I wonder how widespread this is?

Concerning this post, I did some quick research concerning nickle and brass and came up with the following:

"Because of nickel's slow rate of oxidation at room temperature, it is considered corrosion-resistant. Historically, this has led to its use for plating metal such as iron and brass; brass is an alloy made of copper and zinc."

I am not a Metallurgical engineer by any means, but it was and is my understanding that components such as nickel and brass will not rust; however they will corrode. If you look closely at some old vintage Gillette razors you will see the greenish evidence of corrosion. I believe this is important because I saw a Fatboy advertised on a "bid-and-win" site and the seller said the razor had no rust. This caught my eye because I did not think the Fatboys will rust due to the alloys of which they are constructed, but they will corrode.

I beg your pardon if I have been a little geeky. There appears to be a feeding frenzy for the vintage Gillette razors with sellers asking and receiving amazing prices. Just want the buyer to be more educated and understand what they are purchasing.

Hope this helps. And, please point me out if I have erred in my understanding.

22 752