02-11-2014, 07:52 AM
User Info
I'll be taking a trip later this year and would like a few recommendations on what to do and where to go. Not necessarily shaving related either, not sure the SO will go for that more than once Angel

Places we are definitely going: Vienna, Prague, Budapest. Maybe Krakow if we can squeeze it in.

Vienna I may want to take the side trip to Knize (their fragrances are almost always out of stock at Lucky Scent, and their shaving soap? Forget it.)

Most of these places have the big tourist areas (think the 'clock square' in Prague), I'm looking at places a bit outside the box. I like architecture and the SO likes outside 'art', maybe that will help.

Thanks in advance!

12 1,247
 02-11-2014, 07:57 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
The Hungarian national museum in Budapest was outstanding, I have never seen more crowns in one place. Simply stunning. And do yourself a favor and take a day to explore the area around Buda castle, especially the labyrinth!

35 1,731
 02-11-2014, 08:44 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Take a look at Rick Steves' website. He generally has good ideas and suggestions. SWMBO and I have found him very good for recommending guides, hotels and offbeat/unusual things to see and do.

5 882
 02-11-2014, 08:56 AM
User Info
If you look for shaving supplies in Vienna, take a trip to the Esbjerg shop (adress - Mariahilfer straße 33). That is one of the best shaving shops that I've been to, better than the traditional english ones from Jermyn St. and St. James. Huge range of items and brands, and customer service is top notch:

[Image: 12372283ns.jpg]

[Image: 12372282mr.jpg]

[Image: 12372286xi.jpg]

[Image: 12372285te.jpg]

[Image: 12372299la.jpg]

[Image: 12372284kw.jpg]

[Image: 12372300gj.jpg]

There's also Walter Weiss, a very nice (yet expensive) small shop:

http://www.shopikon.com/s/vienna/walter-weiss

[Image: 12242732ue.jpg]

[Image: 12242733ek.jpg]

[Image: 12242734fj.jpg]

And Solinger - Deckenbacher & Blümner - a small chain of three shops in Vienna.
http://www.solinger.at
2 of those shops worth mentioning:

Shop 1 - Address: Mariahilfer straße, 70 (Wien 1070)

[Image: 12241066zb.jpg]

[Image: 12241067sw.jpg]

[Image: 12241068jm.jpg]

Shop 2 - Address: Kärntner straße, 21-23 (Wien 1010)

[Image: 12241658ik.jpg]

[Image: 12241650nb.jpg]

[Image: 12241654nd.jpg]

[Image: 12241653vf.jpg]

[Image: 12241660rw.jpg]

In Budapest, there's a shop worth visiting. That shop is from an hungarian artisan that produces straight razors - Master "Flaschner Kálmán". He sells some vintage and modern razors from other brands, too..

[Image: 12226871rd.jpg]

[Image: 12226875zb.jpg]

[Image: 12226879cu.jpg]

[Image: 12226878bb.jpg]

[Image: 12226877yb.jpg]

2 5,545
 02-11-2014, 09:05 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Vienna here we come. SWMBO and I will soon be planning our trip to Europe this year and Vienna just made it to the top of my list. What a stunning array of shaving kit and supplies; makes the GFT and TOBS shops in London almost second rate...hush your mouth, that's not really true.

5 882
 02-11-2014, 09:32 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
My wife has always wanted to go to Vienna. If we ever make it over there I will put her in the gondola boat and I will take the shaving tour.

175 23,752
 02-11-2014, 10:10 AM
User Info
The thing about shaving stores is - unless I can't get it here in the States, it's really not worth visiting.

Those straights look nice, but I have a ~180 year old double thumbnotch that would get use first Biggrin

12 1,247
 05-02-2014, 05:55 AM
User Info
I ended up going to Krakow instead of Vienna. So shopping trip report:

Prague: Knize has a store here in New Town (right outside Old Town, not far from the National Theater opera house), and they have the entire fragrance line. Ended up with Knize Forest.

Budapest: went to Flaschner Kálmán, it's a very small store and mostly knives, but they do have a cabinet of straights. I picked up a small one.

Krakow: visited Lu'lua in the Jewish District, which has a nice collection of shaving supplies (Muhle brushes, T&H products, etc.) They also have a pretty nice selection of high-quality colognes as well from Comme des Garcons, Serge Lutens, etc. I don't want to think about how much I spent here.

I visited a few stores (mostly convenience stores but also small grocery stores) in the cities I visited and never saw any wetshaving products.

My favorite cities of the three were Prague and Krakow. Everyone knows about Prague, but Krakow is lesser known and an awesome city.

12 1,247
 05-02-2014, 06:30 AM
User Info
In Budapest, you can find Figaro and Barbon creams and ASL's in some drug-store chains (like Rossman) and supermarkets (like SPAR). Both are great and only cost a few pennies.

I loved visiting Prague and Budapest. Vienna also, but not as much as the other two. Never visited Krakow, but I've heard good things about it, maybe in the future. Smile

2 5,545
 05-02-2014, 01:45 PM
User Info
(05-02-2014, 06:30 AM)oversaturn Wrote: In Budapest, you can find Figaro and Barbon creams and ASL's in some drug-store chains (like Rossman) and supermarkets (like SPAR). Both are great and only cost a few pennies.

I loved visiting Prague and Budapest. Vienna also, but not as much as the other two. Never visited Krakow, but I've heard good things about it, maybe in the future. Smile

Krakow is a lovely city. The city center is fantastic, from the Florian Gate down to Wawel Castle. If you like visiting old churches for the architecture/history/stained glass/etc., there are a ton of them - Krakow is VERY Catholic, John Paul II was from there, and you can't spit without hitting something celebrating him. (Keep in mind that he was just canonized a day or two before we visited.)

The Jewish Quarter is great - it's where most of the nightlife is, overall a lot more casual than the rest of town. We stayed here and loved it. (I can give references to the AirBnB site we stayed at.) It's not especially Jewish nowadays though (remember, this is where the events of Schindler's List took place.) I would recommend the Jewish Walking Tour which talks about the history of the area.

The two big attractions outside of town are Auschwitz and the Wieliczka Salt Mine (an old mine where miners carved statues in their spare time - it's pretty touristy but certainly something to see if you are there.)

The food I can't say enough good things about - I think central european food gets a bad rap, but honestly in every city you could find good stuff. In the Jewish District, there's a square where everyone (and yes I mean everyone) was eating a dish called Zapiekanka - sort of like a Stouffer's French Bread pizza only cooked in a wood-fired oven and with better toppings (think everything from chicken/bacon to feta/spinach.) Near old town, you could find some killer potato pancakes, and remnants of old communist institutions called "milk bars" which serve traditional polish fare like pierogies and cabbage rolls for almost nothing.

12 1,247
 05-03-2014, 04:55 PM
User Info
Your trip sounds like it was fascinating! Thanks for sharing.

3 543