02-11-2014, 05:21 PM
User Info
I purchased one of these brushes and am disappointed in the knot/bristle. The Vintage Scent has this description:

"This brush is the first Semogue that is stuffed with the very exclusive 2 band Finest badger hair. This rare hair comes from the North of China from the badger species "Meles Meles" also known as European Badger or Eurasian Badger. It provides great backbone and very soft white tips which makes this brush great for either soaps or creams."

I do not doubt this, but for me, it is more "prickly" than I thought it would be. I have used it a dozen or so times. Am I expecting to much to soon?

Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Thanks much......

22 752
 02-11-2014, 05:33 PM
User Info
How long have you had it? I find that Two Band Finest take a couple of weeks to settle down and come into their own. Some, however, are more prickly than others and don't lose that scritch.

How long are you soaking before using? I find that at least 5 minutes or more is needed to fully hydrate them before use to allow the tips to soften slightly.

1 2,827
 02-11-2014, 05:34 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Ed, though I have no personal experience to back this up, I have read about some two-banded badger softening at the tips with use. I don't know if that applies to your brush.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-11-2014, 06:04 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
The semogue 2 Band is one of my very favorites. I love the backbone and flow through. It might continue to soften however it will never be pillow soft by any means. It will always have some scritch. If that's not for you maybe you should sell or trade.

45 3,955
 02-11-2014, 07:43 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
The brush should soften with more use, but in my experience with the Semogue SOC Two-Band brushes, some scritch/prick is to be expected. I was very happy with the noticeably softer tips and lack of any scritch with the Semogue B/C Texugo L/E brush right off the bat...as noted in other threads this Semogue B/C L/E Two-Band hair is different than the SOC Two-Band that we are more accustomed to. I wish I bought two of these B/C Texugo brushes because of how pleasing the hair turned out, IMO up there with the best Two-Bands available...I was hoping that from now on Semogue was either going to source, or treat all their Two-Band hair to closer resemble this newer batch found in the B/C Texugo, bringing it to the SOC...now I'm not so sure?

4 794
 02-11-2014, 08:20 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I agree with above post. The Texugo hair is fantastic. It's very soft but has good backbone and flow through.

45 3,955
 02-12-2014, 03:01 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(02-11-2014, 07:43 PM)LORDBISHOP Wrote: The brush should soften with more use, but in my experience with the Semogue SOC Two-Band brushes, some scritch/prick is to be expected. I was very happy with the noticeably softer tips and lack of any scritch with the Semogue B/C Texugo L/E brush right off the bat...as noted in other threads this Semogue B/C L/E Two-Band hair is different than the SOC Two-Band that we are more accustomed to. I wish I bought two of these B/C Texugo brushes because of how pleasing the hair turned out, IMO up there with the best Two-Bands available...I was hoping that from now on Semogue was either going to source, or treat all their Two-Band hair to closer resemble this newer batch found in the B/C Texugo, bringing it to the SOC...now I'm not so sure?

Exactly right. You will always have some scritch with the SOC 2-Band, even if used daily.

The BC Texugo 2-Band, as well as the Semogue Horn 2-Band have, on the other hand, a different and more recent type of hair, which is softer but still able to maintain an excellent backbone.
I'm not sure Semogue will apply this new hair to its SOC 2-Band brushes, but if you can find a BC Texugo on the BST, my advice would be to jump on it, I'm quite sure the hair will please you.

26 4,928
 02-12-2014, 05:26 AM
User Info
All,

Thanks for the comments. I have not timed the soaking so I will give it a try with at least the five minute mark.

Also, I was able to purchase all three Barbear Classico LEs - Cerda, Mistura, and Texugo and these guys have spoiled me. They are remarkable brushes. I am using the Classicos in a three day rotation; face lathering only; using ABCBA (original) and Proraso Red and White (tubs) for break in. I plan to do this rotation for 30 to 45 days.

I wish the SOC had the bristles of the Texugo. But, don't get me wrong - the SOC is a wonderful brush - just a little more prickly than I had envisioned. I plan to hang on to it and put it in to the rotation once I complete the Classico cycle.

Thanks again.

22 752
 02-12-2014, 07:56 AM
User Info
I too have the same issue with my SOC 2 band. I thought about the LE mentioned but according to Vintage Scent, the hair is the same.

"This model has "Texugo" engraved on the handle which means "Badger" in Portuguese.
The bristles used are 2-band badger hair, the same ones as the SOC 2-band, but in a shorter loft to enhance its backbone."

8 244
 02-12-2014, 09:01 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(02-12-2014, 07:56 AM)jodypress Wrote: I too have the same issue with my SOC 2 band. I thought about the LE mentioned but according to Vintage Scent, the hair is the same.

"This model has "Texugo" engraved on the handle which means "Badger" in Portuguese.
The bristles used are 2-band badger hair, the same ones as the SOC 2-band, but in a shorter loft to enhance its backbone."

Both have 2-Band hair from Semogue, but the batch is quite different and, IMHO, the BC's batch is superior to the SOC's.

26 4,928
 02-12-2014, 01:53 PM
User Info
The Monk, "Both have 2-Band hair from Semogue, but the batch is quite different and, IMHO, the BC's batch is superior to the SOC's."

Interesting. And, a good point concerning the BC batch. They are quite different to me too.

22 752
 02-12-2014, 04:13 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(02-12-2014, 01:53 PM)LookingGlass Wrote: The Monk, "Both have 2-Band hair from Semogue, but the batch is quite different and, IMHO, the BC's batch is superior to the SOC's."

Interesting. And, a good point concerning the BC batch. They are quite different to me too.

They are indeed, I think everyone that tries them both would agree on that. Also, the 2-band hair on the BC is the same used in the Semogue horn 2-Band brush which, in that handle, makes for a fabulous brush.

26 4,928