02-12-2014, 06:00 PM
  • Fuggles
  • Ottawa, Canada
User Info
1932 Fat Handle Canadian Tech with oblong holes.
I couldn't wait until tomorrow morning to use it! Loaded it up with a Feather and went to town.

First thing I noticed was how comfortable it was. I love the handle....very grippy and comfortable to hold. My usually razor is a 1966 Gillette Tech and the fat handle felt nicer. Both to hold and on the stroke.

I did notice after my first pass that I had a few weepers, especially on my neck, whereas I *rarely* ever get weepers with the '66 Tech.

For you guys that use the fat handles a lot, do you notice that they are more aggressive than other Techs? Is the Feather a good pair with it or should I go to something a little more tame, like Astras? Or maybe it's just going to take me a few shaves to get used to it?

Overall, I really liked it, and it will probably become my regular shaver.

0 30
 02-12-2014, 06:37 PM
User Info
Can you post a pic of this? I'd love to see it!

0 8
 02-12-2014, 06:41 PM
  • Fuggles
  • Ottawa, Canada
User Info
Sure, it's the one on the left in both pics (they're almost identical razors, just a few subtle differences)

[Image: b7w6.jpg]

[Image: rdpe.jpg]

[Image: zv8k.jpg]

0 30
 02-12-2014, 10:08 PM
User Info
I tried a tech for the first time the other week with a gillette silver blue and it was THE smoothest shave I've ever had. It put my r89 to shame in the comfort category.

12 848
 02-12-2014, 11:01 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I believe the Canadian Techs are a little more aggressive than the Post-War US Techs. I used a gold thick-handled Post-War US Tech for over three years and it was very mild. It would have been made between 1946 and 1950, as it had no date codes. I haven't tried a Tech with a ball-ended handle to see if there was any difference. The Pre-War US Techs with triangular slots are more aggressive.

Feather blades are too aggressive for me, even with the mildest razor. I don't know what your experience with Feather blades was previous to this experiment, but I would try your Canadian Tech with other blades to see if you get better results. It doesn't seem right that you would be getting weepers from a Tech, but you were using a mild razor with an extreme blade.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-12-2014, 11:06 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I have English, Canadian and US Fat Handle Techs and also a 4-piece Canadian tech. The 4-piece gives the best shaves. Little discernible difference to me between the Canadian and US. The English is the heftiest, and I think gives the marginally better shave. having said that, though, I have a few English Techs and they all shave differently. Minor differences make some difference. I like them all. I find a Gillette Super Thin works really well in the Fat Handles, and also recently discovered the Nacet does the same. The Nacet only lasts three or four shaves though, in my hands and on my face anyway. Bear in mind the 1932 of the Fat Handle Canadian is the patent date. not the year of manufacture.

Looks a great razor; nice and shiny, phwoooaaaarh, eh? Smile

0 1,732
 02-13-2014, 07:53 AM
  • Fuggles
  • Ottawa, Canada
User Info
(02-12-2014, 11:06 PM)Shaun Wrote: I have English, Canadian and US Fat Handle Techs and also a 4-piece Canadian tech. The 4-piece gives the best shaves. Little discernible difference to me between the Canadian and US. The English is the heftiest, and I think gives the marginally better shave. having said that, though, I have a few English Techs and they all shave differently. Minor differences make some difference. I like them all. I find a Gillette Super Thin works really well in the Fat Handles, and also recently discovered the Nacet does the same. The Nacet only lasts three or four shaves though, in my hands and on my face anyway. Bear in mind the 1932 of the Fat Handle Canadian is the patent date. not the year of manufacture.

Looks a great razor; nice and shiny, phwoooaaaarh, eh? Smile

"phwoooaaaarh"??? huh? lol

Thanks for the write up Shaun!
Yeah, the photo of the underside wasn't to show off the date, but how clean I got it, plus to show the oblong as opposed to triangular holes, betraying its post-war manufacture. (triangles = pre-war, oblong = post war, right?)

Also, a quick question since you seem to be relatively knowledgable about these razors....

The one on the left has the "Gillette" logo etched on the top plate...I've never seen that on a fat handle Tech before. Is that authentic, or has this razor had a "top plate switch" during its history?

0 30
 02-13-2014, 02:25 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Canadian 4-Piece: (triangular holes, comes from a Canadian Khaki set, but I only have the razor). There is another Canadian 4-piece with different knurling.

[Image: g9TKZbw.jpg]

[Image: LJ7oAfM.jpg]

As to your question re the etched top...Mr Razor shows one with the oblong holes dated 1949. Here:

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/19...Canada.JPG

My Canadian with the oblong holes does not have an etched top. Curiouser and curiouser...

0 1,732
 02-13-2014, 06:41 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I have a strong suspicion that top cap is later model for sure. It does not match the etched cap Mr. Razor has either...

I own many original pre-war techs, and they do not have the logo.

143 1,983
 07-05-2015, 12:30 AM
User Info
Hello, I know this is an old thread but I recently acquired a Canadian Gillette tech, brand new in the box. My only question is that the handle on this tech seems to be hollowed is that normal? I have a tech made in England that has a slimmer handle and different knurling but the handle feels solid. So I just wanted to ask how the handle on your Canadian tech feels. Thanks.

17 180
 07-05-2015, 02:05 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
As far as I know, shy of a few subtleties the Tech handles are all hollow.

143 1,983
 07-05-2015, 04:35 AM
User Info
rad enabled, gorgeous pics.

36 886