02-12-2014, 06:54 PM
User Info
So I use SRs typically, and have found that they give me a very comfortable shave with greater ease and consistency than I've been able to achieve with my EJ86. When traveling, however, I have to pull out the EJ and limp through a series of relatively uncomfortable shaves until I can get back to my straights.

I've tried a LOT of different blades, my technique is solid, but despite all, my skin feels like it's got mild razor burn after every shave, and any slip-up usually nets me a nice patch of ingrown hairs. Hence, I was curious to try out a new razor for my travel purposes, maybe something milder? Does such a thing exist?

Some basic desires for the recommendation:

-relatively inexpensive (no stainless Ikons, etc)
-on the mild side of the spectrum for less rough shave

I have some very annoying skin that doesn't like a lot of things, so I'm hoping to find something that might ease the travel woes!

Thanks for any suggestions!

16 252
 02-12-2014, 07:26 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I, too, have sensitive skin and prefer mild razors. EJ razors, though broadly considered "mild," are a little on the agressive side for me, as well.

I really like the Merkur Progress adjustable at minimum setting, which I think is priced around $62.00 ($72.00 with long handle). I actually have the "Mergress" and it is perhaps the best mild razor I have found yet.

Much less expensive would be the Feather Popular, at under $20.00. If you lost this one during the trip, it would be less painful. This razor is largely plastic, so it has little heft, but it is well made.

Vintage razors would include the very mild Gillette Tech three-piece or Gillette Super Speed TTO with the blue tip, the slightly less mild (but still mild) Gillette Super Speed TTO, a Gillette adjustable TTO, or a Schick Krona TTO.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-12-2014, 07:29 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Gillette Techs are pretty cheap and milder than an ej. Feather Popular is mild also.

118 1,708
 02-12-2014, 07:42 PM
User Info
Hmm, I'll have to scope out some Techs and the Feather Popular!

16 252
 02-12-2014, 07:52 PM
User Info
The mildest, decent quality DE razor, IMHO, is the Weishi 9306 TTO (or one of its many clones such as the Timor). I personally do not find it particularly effective on my extremely wiry beard, but many others find the shave more than acceptable.

If you are looking for a travel razor, the Weishi is ideal. It is very inexpensive, easily available, attractive and comes in a number of finishes, and usually includes a decent hard travel case.

Might I also humbly suggest that your issue with EJ might not be the razor itself, but rather your choice of blades despite the number of blades you've tried. As you generally use a straight, I assume that your skin is used to a very sharp blade. If you are using any of the innumerable more mild blades in your EJ DE, it might easily account for your poor shave and irritation (i.e., repeatedly having over the same area to achieve acceptable smoothness). Try a Personna Super/Lab/Med or Polsilver Super Iridium in the EJ, and see if you achieve better results.

Good Luck!

Pictures of a few Weishi 9306's

[Image: real-thing-wei-shi-brand-9306-b-romantic.jpg]

0 386
 02-12-2014, 08:33 PM
User Info
I would also have to suggest the Merkur Progress as you can make it as mild as you want with it set at 1! I doubt you will find anything as mild or smoother than this. However, it is $62 and I am not sure if that is too pricey for you.
Good luck.

83 21,115
 02-13-2014, 12:51 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
User Info
I forgot about the Weishi, but it is a good, decent, very mild razor that would be good for travel, as it is inexpensive and easily replaced. It also has a more normal heft than the Feather Popular.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-13-2014, 02:00 PM
User Info
My suggestion is to get a nice Gillette Slim adjustable. They're available for around $20-25, and are excellent razors that can be mild to medium aggressive - depending on the setting used. They're also very well-designed and shave very smoothly.

37 1,743
 02-13-2014, 08:18 PM
User Info
If an Edwin Jagger is too harsh then you have a problem. Its one of the mildest razors out there. You may need to work on your technique.

63 1,721
 02-13-2014, 08:34 PM
User Info
(02-13-2014, 02:00 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: My suggestion is to get a nice Gillette Slim adjustable. They're available for around $20-25, and are excellent razors that can be mild to medium aggressive - depending on the setting used. They're also very well-designed and shave very smoothly.

* The Slim is also a very good option, but I don't have much luck with the Gillette TTO's and don't find them very smooth shavers for my skin.

83 21,115
 02-13-2014, 10:54 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
User Info
(02-13-2014, 08:18 PM)NSmalls Wrote: If an Edwin Jagger is too harsh then you have a problem. Its one of the mildest razors out there. You may need to work on your technique.

The problem is sensitive skin and it is a real problem.

I would consider the Edwin Jagger to be a little to the mild side of moderate, but I don't consider it one of the mildest razors. A number of noticeably milder options are named in this thread, and they can make all the difference.

I started with Injectors and DEs in the 1960s and I returned to DE shaving and these forums some eight years ago. I know that my problem isn't technique, and if the original poster has the skill to handle a straight razor, I'm pretty sure that he can handle a DE skillfully, as well.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-14-2014, 12:01 AM
User Info
(02-12-2014, 06:54 PM)explodyii Wrote: So I use SRs typically, and have found that they give me a very comfortable shave with greater ease and consistency than I've been able to achieve with my EJ86. When traveling, however, I have to pull out the EJ and limp through a series of relatively uncomfortable shaves until I can get back to my straights.

I've tried a LOT of different blades, my technique is solid, but despite all, my skin feels like it's got mild razor burn after every shave, and any slip-up usually nets me a nice patch of ingrown hairs. Hence, I was curious to try out a new razor for my travel purposes, maybe something milder? Does such a thing exist?

I know this is no help to you, but this has pretty much solidified that I MUST try straights razors. You've sold them well. Biggrin

12 848
 02-14-2014, 01:30 PM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(02-12-2014, 07:26 PM)CMur12 Wrote: Vintage razors would include the very mild Gillette Tech three-piece or Gillette Super Speed TTO with the blue tip, the slightly less mild (but still mild) Gillette Super Speed TTO, a Gillette adjustable TTO, or a Schick Krona TTO.

- Murray

+1 on the Schick Krona. Very mild on the face, but still gives good shaving results.

0 912
 02-14-2014, 09:43 PM
User Info
(02-13-2014, 10:54 PM)CMur12 Wrote:
(02-13-2014, 08:18 PM)NSmalls Wrote: If an Edwin Jagger is too harsh then you have a problem. Its one of the mildest razors out there. You may need to work on your technique.

The problem is sensitive skin and it is a real problem.

I would consider the Edwin Jagger to be a little to the mild side of moderate, but I don't consider it one of the mildest razors. A number of noticeably milder options are named in this thread, and they can make all the difference.

I started with Injectors and DEs in the 1960s and I returned to DE shaving and these forums some eight years ago. I know that my problem isn't technique, and if the original poster has the skill to handle a straight razor, I'm pretty sure that he can handle a DE skillfully, as well.

- Murray

Yes, thank you. My issues 100% do not stem from technique at this point. As I have explored brushes, I truly came to appreciate how soft and sensitive my skin is compared to others. After going through some very uncomfortable cases of brush burn (even with bowl lathering for many types), I retrospectively understand why I have always had a hard time with shaving in general, with DEs being only a marginal improvement over cartridges, but SRs being head and shoulders better for allowing me to fully utilize a greater array of techniques and a much sharper blade to work with the sensitive skin.

16 252
 02-15-2014, 05:18 AM
User Info
If you haven't used gillette super speeds, I can send you a flare tip, blue tip, red tip and 40s style to try out and see any of those would be one to suit you. I think I even have a black tip in the drawer I have not even tried myself since I picked it up. My son took my Krona.
LMK

31 1,800
 02-15-2014, 06:27 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
After the Weishi 9306 series, my goto razors as cheap and chic easy to use on the mild side razors are:
Gillette Slim Twist
Schick Krona
Both easy to find in vintage market, great shape and shavers. Wink

0 1,141
 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM
User Info
I think the new iKon Shavecraft 101 might be a good addition to the list.

Available at BullGoose shaving for about $60 (ish?). Really nice, but mild razor, suitable for everyday use by people with sensitive skin.

I also like the Krona and the blue-tip Superspeed as other options.

2 1,557
 02-20-2014, 03:26 AM
User Info
I was going to suggest a Superspeed as Bowhunter said.

I just picked up a Flare Tip at an antique store yesterday. If you'd like to give it a try, let me know.

2 205
 02-20-2014, 03:48 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Blue. Tip. Superspeed.

0 1,846
 02-22-2014, 10:51 AM
User Info
Man, lots of votes for blue tip super speeds! I really need to see if I can track down something at a reasonable price to experiment with before my next trip back east in June!

16 252