02-13-2014, 11:14 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Do they have any benefit? I have come to the conclusion I have dry skin. Not sure if it's this crazy weather in MS or what. The question is, is there a difference between oils and cream? I have used Vitos pre shave cream in the past, but really can't tell if it makes a difference. I have been tempted to buy some 3p pre shave as it appears to have a lot of good qualities in it. I also have some shea butter on the way that I hope I might can use as a post shave. The current shea butter I have is not ideal as it just makes my face glow for a couple hours. Another question is for those who use pre shave oils, do they affect the brush with the oil coming into contact with the hair?

15 970
 02-13-2014, 11:30 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have tried several oils with different results. The one I use now is Village Barber. I wash my face as normal then rinse leaving the face wet. I apply a small amount (about the size of a dime) to my palm and rub my hands together then throughly rub it in to my cheeks and neck area using an upward motion. I then lather as normal. From what I can tell it does not effect the tips of my brushes. I also use the Village Barber Balm that works quite well. My skin is extremely dry and this routine has greatly helped me.

[Image: nSHZIno.jpg] [Image: rhpCGSg.jpg]

178 23,809
 02-13-2014, 11:35 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Johnny I read about the Village Barber oils and watched some of his videos. They seemed like a gimmick seeing as how they didn't get much hype, like something you would see on an info-commercial. However, I might have to give them a second look.

15 970
 02-13-2014, 11:55 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Trust me, it's no hype, they work. Several vendors in the USA carries them as well as Italian Barber in Canada.

Did you read my review on these two products?

http://shavenook.com/thread-village-barb...#pid244621

178 23,809
 02-13-2014, 12:20 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Johnny, when using their A/S do you use another A/S such as the Speick or Myrsol before or after?

And I just read the review and ingredients. Glycerin and shea butter in the A/S seems like a nice combination. I will definitely look into ordering some of this soon.

15 970
 02-13-2014, 01:50 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have used the after shave balm both ways, just by itself or after applying a splash. When my skin feels really dry I just use the balm. If you want the scent of your choice after shave you can just rub a little on the sides of your neck or behind the ear. The after shave balm has a clean scent.

178 23,809
 02-13-2014, 02:04 PM
User Info
I'm against pre-shave oils on principle, because I've sort of bought in to that old time notion that oil (while slick for glide) is the enemy of a good cut of the hair. The soap acts to counteract oil, and lubricates. I just feel like the razor can "bite" a little more cleanly and closely if it's not an oiled up hair. So it's wash the face, wet the face for a long time (soften hair), but then dab excess water off, and hit it with soap lather.

Oil just messes up my whole mental image of what's going on at the microscopic level.

0 303
 02-13-2014, 02:14 PM
User Info
I make my own preshave oil with olive, jojoba, and castor oils... All have great skin moisturizing properties. Buy the AoS travel size one see if you like it then make your own for a fraction of the cost.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

0 35
 02-13-2014, 03:27 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I have tried various pre shave oils/creams and they did nothing for me so I do not use anything for a pre shave. I guess you just have to experiment to see if they any beneficial value to you. The normal for some yes, some no routine.

Bob

0 1,694
 02-13-2014, 03:42 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I seem to be all over the place with this subject...sometimes I use oils, sometimes the creams, and now I'm in my "none" phase.

I do feel the oil may have some benefit, but for me, I have found the oil gets in the brushes and sticks to the bristles which I didn't like. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe its just in my head...Confused But I distinctly remember my D1 that I used with oils would display the characteristics of oil still on the bristles when I got it wet before each shave...And I'm pretty thorough in rinsing and drying my brushes after each use. Needless to say, I'll never use one of my more expensive brushes with oils, but that's me. I'm sure many others won't have this problem.

The only creams I have experience with are the two Proraso's and I really couldn't pick up on a definite benefit. When I do reach for them now, its mainly because I have them and want to use them up.

From a dry skin stand point, besides he unrefined shea butter you mentioned, I do use Trumper's Skin Food post shave and that seemed to help a lot.

34 1,628
 02-17-2014, 03:15 PM
User Info
I have sensitive/dry skin and found that making my own pre-shave oil of 5tsp olive oil/3tsp castor oil makes a great improvement in slickness and moisture retention.

I was a skeptic previously, but after today's shave...I'm a believer.

3 153
 02-18-2014, 10:23 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have found that the pre-shave oil does nothing for the actual shave, but it does however help with my dry skin in the winter. By applying pre-shave oil and allowing it to soak in for a couple of minutes before lathering, I don't need to use an after shave balm which tends to leave my skin sticky, shiny or even greasy. I much prefer the moisturizing aspect of the oil pre-shave than a balm afterwards and in the winter if I don't apply one or the other my skin can get really itchy and flaky. All it takes is 5-6 drops and I work it in for a minute or so with my hands and enjoying the massage. I then proceed to load my brush and by the time everything is ready most of the oil has absorbed into my skin. Over applying oil can make lathering harder, gunk up brushes or razors and leave my face with a similar result to applying a balm.

145 2,752
 02-20-2014, 05:12 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I've tried several and settled on ShaveSecret. Available at Wal Mart for like $4. It lasts a long time. Only use 4 drops. BUT lately I've gone away from the PSO's and I really don't miss it in my daily routine. YMMV....

5 1,151
 02-20-2014, 07:13 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I have tried several pre-shaves, and never found that the shaves were better than just using a quality cream or soap.

0 1,137
 02-21-2014, 03:25 AM
User Info
I had a PIF of pre shave oil. Also bought some pre shave balm to try. Just two products and two limited experiences, but I didn't feel they did any thing to help either my skin or my shave.

I did pick up glycerine soap and use it in my pre shave wash. This does seem to help the skin and of course the glycerine doesn't hurt the shave.

I have used after shave balms from the beginning. I like them and don't have the greasy, sticky or shiny issues, I use too much product.

If my skin is really dry I will use Aveeno dry skin which seems to help. A persistent dry flaky area will get treated with bag balm overnight until it clears.

For the skin as in all things shaving YMMV. Good luck!

6 358
 02-21-2014, 06:22 AM
User Info
I don't use them generally speaking, but there are times when I'm not able to take a shower in the morning and need a little bit more lubrication/softening up before shaving.

I have a bottle of the Pacific Shave Oil, which I find to be just about perfect. Its not greasy and very light, its pretty difficult to "overpour" (I tried a bottle of AoS pre-shave oil once and practically a fifth of the bottle dumped out on my hands), and it has a light pine-ish scent. They claim you can shave with just the oil; I've tried it once or twice and you can get by with it in a pinch.

84 1,505
 02-21-2014, 06:54 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I haven't found pre shave oils added anything but an unnecessary step to my routine.

38 5,113
 02-21-2014, 03:40 PM
  • XP100
  • Veteran Shaver!
  • Florida, USA
User Info
I've read oils prevent soaps from lathering, whereas I've not experienced that phenomenon personally. I guess it depends on the oil and soap? I've used an oil underneath a certain soap and got less irritation, then without using oil, with the soap and everything else being equal, I did experience a bit more irritation. I've not yet tried any shave oils 'neat' or by themselves. I do feel some would work and probably even aid some gents with beards and goatees shaving areas around the hair they want to keep since it doesn't hide any hairs like lathers could.

I've used creams with Lanolin that do wonders for my dry skin, like RazoRock S. Maria that also has other good stuff and a nice refreshing addition of eucalyptus (no menthol, I personally don't care for menthol in my shave soaps/creams) that also seems to help my skin. That stuff goes on so buttery smooth that I think a pre-shave oil would be completely useless.

Just like anything else, everyone's different so what works for me may not work for you. I do use a soap with raw honey/ glycerin/ Shea butter/ Mango butter/ coconut oil (not cocoa butter!) that helps with my dry skin. Washing with it before shaving works wonders for me personally.

Sent from my SlimBean Shoe-Phone!

0 22
 02-21-2014, 08:11 PM
  • spada4
  • Greensburg, Pa
User Info
I use my home made pre-shave oil (50/50 olive & castor) occasionally. I find it helps in the winter when my skin is dry. The post shave feel is great. When I don't use oil I use Proraso or Vitos Pre/Post creams.

2 75
 02-21-2014, 08:42 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
(02-21-2014, 03:40 PM)XP100 Wrote: I've read oils prevent soaps from lathering, whereas I've not experienced that phenomenon personally. I guess it depends on the oil and soap? I've used an oil underneath a certain soap and got less irritation, then without using oil, with the soap and everything else being equal, I did experience a bit more irritation. I've not yet tried any shave oils 'neat' or by themselves. I do feel some would work and probably even aid some gents with beards and goatees shaving areas around the hair they want to keep since it doesn't hide any hairs like lathers could.

I've used creams with Lanolin that do wonders for my dry skin, like RazoRock S. Maria that also has other good stuff and a nice refreshing addition of eucalyptus (no menthol, I personally don't care for menthol in my shave soaps/creams) that also seems to help my skin. That stuff goes on so buttery smooth that I think a pre-shave oil would be completely useless.

Just like anything else, everyone's different so what works for me may not work for you. I do use a soap with raw honey/ glycerin/ Shea butter/ Mango butter/ coconut oil (not cocoa butter!) that helps with my dry skin. Washing with it before shaving works wonders for me personally.

Sent from my SlimBean Shoe-Phone!

It is true certain oils can hinder lather. For example Olive oil is one of the worst for lather impeding properties. The thing is you still generate a good lather and it even appears fine on the skin but at the surface the oilve oil is actually breaking down the lather making it less effective. There is so much more a pre shave oil could be offering that so many arent. Many are just overpriced vegetable oil blends right off the grocery store shelf, clogging pores, reducing lather effectiveness and actually decreasing skin health and tone. A properly formulated Pre-Shave Oil will do much more than improve your shave and it would significantly improve your shave at that. Is it a step that is for everyone - no. Do I think if more people tried a Pre-Shave Oil like one Im referring to they would use it...absolutely.

9 429