05-01-2012, 05:12 PM
User Info
Well as you know I posted a thread on how I accidentally caught a 1 pass BBS.

http://shavenook.com/thread-catching-the...-bbs-shave

I got a lot of interesting comments on the various shaving forums. Some people were skeptical until a few people chimed in about friends and relatives who have experienced this more than once. Some repeatedly, which that amazed me more than achieving it once. One thing I do need to clarify, I was not chasing the BBS. In fact I was more interested in testing the Muhle synthetic and the BBS shave foiled that test for another day.

So now since this occurred, I determined to try the exact same setup again with one day on the blade to see if lighting would strike the same spot twice.

[Image: 6982308572_42a1b600ab_b.jpg]

So just like the day before, I got my lather worked up well and went to work with short strokes from South to North with very light pressure. I shaved exactly in the order of the previous day. After the first pass, I noticed no weepers. Washing my face with water, I noticed that when I rubbed up, there was just a small thin layer of stubble. No BBS. The blade had degraded just enough on the first shave to prevent it from occurring again.

A second pass was made and a nice BBS was achieved. No stubble at all. A great shave. I finished my head with the Trac II razor like the day before and went on my way.

So back to the regular world of multi-pass shaving which I am more accustomed to, and that really does not bother me at all. It gives me a little longer to enjoy my morning shave.

May you enjoy your shaves as well.

1 2,827
 05-08-2012, 10:14 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
With my last few shaves, I've thought of this thread.
I can't even come close to a TWO pass BBS. One pass and I look like I did when I used my old Braun electric in about 3 hours.

I truly wish that I could accomplish this and perhaps one day, it will magically happen. Even with my most aggressive R41 or Cobra Classic with a new blade, I have trouble getting completely BBS with 3 passes and I still usually need some touch up.
I await the alignment of the stars! Biggrin

6 905
 05-09-2012, 03:34 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Interesting.

Throughout our wet-shaving journey, we all switch our technique from time to time in the pursuit of the perfect shave.
Tweaking here, different angle there and the overall result improves - that's the fun part of shaving.

4 313
 05-09-2012, 07:20 PM
User Info
Wow, one pass BBS! With my coarse beard, i could not even come close unless i was using the Feather DX razors and trying to get it all at once, but would not even try that.

Leon, the perfect shave? Doesn't that happen happen every morning, but we/some/most of us just don't realize it?!

Enjoy your perfect shaves, everyone!

75 20,883
 05-10-2012, 06:51 AM
User Info
Congrats on the 1-pass BBS shave. I, too, would be thrilled if/when that happens for me. However, I don't think I'd want it to happen regularly. I like lathering and shaving multiple passes.

31 7,914
 05-10-2012, 07:25 AM
User Info
I honesty don't believe it unless you have the facial hair of a teen.
Video or it didn't happen. A cotton ball test will show everyone if it's BBS or not.

9 451
 05-10-2012, 07:32 AM
User Info
(05-10-2012, 07:25 AM)Johnny9 Wrote: I honesty don't believe it unless you have the facial hair of a teen.
Video or it didn't happen. A cotton ball test will show everyone if it's BBS or not.

Is that a gauntlet I see? Could a challenge be brewing???

31 7,914
 05-10-2012, 08:22 AM
User Info
(05-10-2012, 07:32 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 07:25 AM)Johnny9 Wrote: I honesty don't believe it unless you have the facial hair of a teen.

HAHA, not at all. This was a strike of lightning or the perfect storm, so the odds of this happening again are very low. Like I said, unless you have the facial hair of a teen, this is highly unlikely.

9 451
 05-14-2012, 09:18 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Ingredients to a 1 pass BBS:

1. An open comb safety bar slant SE DE razor with a blade forged of unobtainium.
2. Unicorn handle brush densely stuffed with the hair from the coupling of a Manchurian badger and a Rooney Finest badger on a High Mountain, White with snow.
3. Soap...

...yep, doesn't exist! Besides it would only be 1/3 the fun!

91 17,857
 05-18-2012, 01:10 PM
User Info
(05-10-2012, 08:22 AM)Johnny9 Wrote:
(05-10-2012, 07:32 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:

HAHA, not at all. This was a strike of lightning or the perfect storm, so the odds of this happening again are very low. Like I said, unless you have the facial hair of a teen, this is highly unlikely.

I have medium to course hair on my beard. If I use a Trac II cart I would need to shave twice daily to keep clean. I was the kid in school who was shaving daily from the age of 12.

On two other boards others with hair like mine (not thin) reported having the same thing happen to them but only once or twice.

One other member discussed how his father could shave one pass BBS almost daily with a Knack. That impresses me more than what happened on my shave.

1 2,827