02-14-2014, 01:30 PM
User Info
That was just to get you to open the post. It actually isn't Photoshop, but it is very much like PS, just without the price. It IS free. It's called Gimp.

I had a copy of Photoshop that did all that I wanted it to do, but it was old. It got corrupted and after reinstalling it I had to activate it and Adobe no longer supported it. That sent me on a quest. I tried Elements, but I never really got along with it; I didn't like the way Adobe crippled it. My search for new photo software ultimately led me to Gimp.

http://www.gimp.org/

It's open sourced and has plugins to do lots of things. If you need it to do something just let someone know and maybe they'll write a plugin for your need.

Be sure to get both files, the program installer and the manual installer (in your language). It'll take a bit of time to find all of it's associated files the first time it starts up, but after that it comes up instantly. It's amazing freeware. I'm guessing Adobe really PO'ed a bunch of folks and they decided to fight back with Gimp. No one puts that amount of work into a program unless they're on a mission.

OK, another reason to use Gimp... I understand that todays Photoshop isn't really purchased, but rented. Parts of the program being in the clouds. That's really great if the internet is down and you want to use your photo program. Gimp is right on your computer hard drive, exactly the way software should be, no renting it, and no dependence on some cloud that evaporates. Oh, no activation either, so even if the folks writing the software decide not to do it anymore, you still have the software.

It works fine with Windows 7 64 bit. I can't help with other systems. I know my brother used it on an XP computer for years. But I have no direct experience with that, just what he told me.

32 6,445
 02-14-2014, 01:46 PM
User Info
Thanks for the link, Brian. It definitely looks like it's worth a try.

206 12,189
 02-14-2014, 02:20 PM
User Info
I highly recommend GIMP. I use it mainly for selective colourization.
It works beautifully. Well worth a shot.

2 5,545
 02-14-2014, 03:12 PM
User Info
I have had it for a very long time as my computer has the Linux Ubuntu operating system and GIMP is part of it. However, I have never used it! Blush

82 21,056
 02-14-2014, 03:31 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Gimp is an EXCELLENT Open Source Program!

I recently used Gimp on one of my son's elementary school projects, er, I mean, he used it...um...anyway...it's a very intuitive application, so you won't need to be book smart to use it like you do for Photoshop and other products like it...

Tech support is excellent, though it may take some time to get your answer...BUT if you Donate even $1 to support this app you will get a nice little tag on your Profile and the community will jump on your issue as soon as they can, so I really recommend it if you are prone to requesting support. I ended up donating $25, which is 1/4th the cost of Photoshop I bought last year...a pretty good investment IMO.

Another REALLY good Open Source application for documents is LibreOffice found HERE. It follows suit with Gimp and the source code is similar in both products...This is what we did his project in...and it is also free.

71 1,468
 02-14-2014, 03:38 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Thanks for sharing this information, Brian.

I was not aware of Gimp, and will have to check it out.

102 18,555
 02-14-2014, 04:30 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thank you for the link! I'm downloading it right now and am going to give it a shot.

45 3,955
 02-14-2014, 04:55 PM
User Info
Has anyone tried to download to an iPad yet?

31 1,800
 02-14-2014, 05:08 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I've used GIMP for years and it works great. It will take a bit of getting used to if you're only familiar with Photoshop, but I had been using Photoshop since college when it came on only four 3.5" floppy disks.
Also Inkscape is a nice open source program similar to Illustrator.

2 517
 02-15-2014, 11:59 PM
User Info
So far I'm extremely impressed with Gimp.

I finished section I of the user manual and I'm starting on section II.

I strongly suggest installing the manual and taking some time to go through it section by section. It'll save a lot of frustration in the long run. It's a very powerful program and it's complex.

32 6,445
 02-16-2014, 05:29 PM
User Info

0 57
 02-17-2014, 02:08 AM
User Info
Nice! I'm gonna give a shot to CS2 also. Thank you!

2 5,545
 02-17-2014, 09:33 PM
User Info
Thanks for the link to CS2. Now I have both.

32 6,445
 02-18-2014, 04:54 AM
User Info
EDIT: Whoops! I see that Vuk already mentioned Inkscape. The link is below.

If anyone is looking for a vector drawing program that works really well, you should look up Inkscape: http://www.inkscape.org/en/.

--------------

Thanks for mentioning Photoshop CS2, I'll have to get my hands on that.

37 1,743
 02-28-2014, 04:17 AM
User Info
yea I am using gimp for a long time now.. Pretty much does the work.. but photoshop is photoshop.. If you cannot afford it then you can always get it for free.. you would understand it where if you read between the lines.. Wink

0 10
 02-28-2014, 06:53 PM
User Info
GIMP is awesome! I haven't used it in a while since my work used Photoshop. Do you know if Gimp supports RAW?

0 9
 02-28-2014, 08:30 PM
User Info

0 57