02-14-2014, 06:51 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Chaps, this is my new acquisition bought from Canada today, total cost of $32 US including shipping:

[Image: NvLXJ4O.jpg]

[Image: VVkthXj.jpg]

I did have some difficulty tracing this beautiful example down, to find out a bit about its origins and history, etc, but assumed that as a "Service" brush it might be slightly post-war, given the shortage of materials at the time, particularly in the UK. I was guessing after 1945 therefore, maybe later.

Then without any success finding a reference, I remembered the "Vulfix Progress" line... and tried that...and BINGO! I found a reference to the product (or VERY similar) in an archive of the 1947 British Industries Fair:

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Progress_Shaving_Brush_Co

Here is the original advert (1949 poster, slightly different model, perhaps but extremely close):

[Image: 0D7TYqP.jpg]

If it isn't big enough to see here, go to the link above and zoom in.

Gentlemen, not a bad brush for something from at least 1947, making it 67 years old or so. Let's say the one I bought dates from 1950, just to be sure (note hexagonal handle, unlike the one in the ad, which appears to be round...and the ad features a box with a picture on it). I am pleased to post this on TSN for archival and future referencing purposes. I have seen a picture also of a similar brush but labelled as No.4. Few references on the net.

Enjoy!

0 1,763
 02-14-2014, 08:24 PM
User Info
Shaun, that is a very interesting brush! I hope you enjoy it!
Those crazy Canadians are always using the strangest things! Biggrin

83 21,077
 02-14-2014, 09:41 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Great find Shaun! Congrats and thanks for posting.

45 3,955
 02-14-2014, 10:18 PM
  • mark1966
  • Canberra [the capital city of] Australia
User Info
Nice, very nice!

5 207
 02-15-2014, 08:00 AM
User Info
Shaun a nice find. Great condition. Enjoy!

1 2,827
 02-16-2014, 01:48 PM
User Info
Niiice!

1 1,448
 02-17-2014, 02:43 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
But wait! There's more!

Just an ad I found, unsure of the date, but the character is holding the brush in question (or the badger version...)

[Image: Y7zBnGK.jpg]

..and another, from 1951...

[Image: hJJwqYd.jpg]

0 1,763
 02-18-2014, 04:12 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
The seller from Canada informs me this brush was found in a box containing a few items of service memorabilia, and that the owner had been a Canadian WWII serviceman. My mother's uncle was a Canadian serviceman, too, and was killed in the war, and so this will become a special brush for me in some ways, quite humbling. Interesting the things you learn, the histories of these items. Each of the vintage shaving items I own would naturally have their own particular story to tell, the lives of all those men. I sometimes wonder about who they all were, what they did, what happened to them. I am always aware that there were real human hands holding these implements when I use them myself, and I find that a quite profound experience. New items don't carry the same resonance, although I quite like new, well-made products too.

0 1,763
 02-18-2014, 04:57 AM
User Info

0 57
 02-18-2014, 05:21 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(02-18-2014, 04:57 AM)jungleisneutral Wrote: An epic score Shaun Cool

I've just had a look for details on the Vulfix Service Brush and found a newspaper ad dating to 1952 (http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/...rchLimits=) so I'd concur that it's definitely a post-war item.

Wow, Boans! I remember Boans just opposite Perth Central Station in Western Australia...I knew a guy who worked there in haberdashery, in fact.

Here are some pics of the old Boans. What they don't show is the racist effigy of an Aboriginal man carrying a spear and dilly bag, standing on one leg, on the lower roof area. That stayed there until at least 1980, incredibly.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread...41&page=19

And Nock & Kirby! Ha! They were still going when I came to Sydney from the West in 1981. They were taken over by BBC hardware in 1984. The little Vulfix 'tidy' is the same as the one in the above 1947 poster for the British Industries Fair

0 1,763
 02-18-2014, 09:37 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
congratulations on a really nice piece of history. Its great to find items you can connect with, it really ups their worth and rewards the time spent working it all out! Thanks for sharing.

35 1,329