05-01-2012, 08:47 PM
User Info
So I have been a big cream user for most of my wet shaving life and have recently decided to start trying some soaps. I currently have MWF, Colonel Conk's Lime, Proraso Green, and Tabac. I have been messing around with them for about 2 months now and cannot seem to get very consistent results. I was wondering if anyone had any advice. Most of the time my lather ends up to watery and thin. I have tried using a drier brush but it just doesn't seem to work!

0 33
 05-01-2012, 09:08 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
 05-01-2012, 09:34 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
In that thread he talks about soaking the soap and the brush. Is he saying the puck of soap should actually be submereged in water?

45 3,955
 05-01-2012, 09:45 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-01-2012, 09:34 PM)tgutc Wrote: In that thread he talks about soaking the soap and the brush. Is he saying the puck of soap should actually be submerged in water?

Either submerge it or I just fill up my MWF or TABAC dish with water and let the puck soak while I wash my face. It just softens of the soap a little. You do not have to do this on soft soaps like Proraso or Cella.

173 23,553
 05-01-2012, 09:46 PM
User Info
I began by putting a little water on the top of all my soaps, but don't even do that anymore. I just load the heck out of the brush.

JB88, one rule that pretty much works with all soap/lather related issues is to use more product. There are very few problems that that doesn't solve.

Edited for clarity

32 6,311
 05-01-2012, 09:50 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-01-2012, 09:46 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Well, I can't answer for the writer of that, but I suspect he means a teaspoon of water on top of the puck.

If you watch some of Mantic59's videos, he actually puts the whole dish/puck of MWF in a sink full of water and lets it set there while he washes his face. He then takes it out of the water and pours out any excess water in the dish. Works either way. All you really need is enough water to cover the puck.

173 23,553
 05-01-2012, 10:10 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
This is an old video I made using Tabac and Truefitt and Hill (old formulation) shaving soap.Is in spanish,but you can see how easy its to load a shaving brush with enough soap (even more than enough...) to create thick,stable lather :

86 7,124
 05-02-2012, 12:31 AM
User Info
If all else fails, take the puck and rub it on your wet face and neck. Then just take your brush straight to your face and start lathering. The whiskers pick up the soap from the puck and makes things much easier, for me any way.

Best of luck.

9 1,199
 05-02-2012, 07:16 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
Loading is not as easy with a soap of course as it is with a cream, especially with hard soaps. Swirl the brush on top of the puck for about 30 seconds. You'll pick up less than it may seem. If after 30 seconds you don't get alot of good lather then go for a minute, etc. You'll be able to find the sweet spot with the brush.

Some soaps are better/worse depending on your water quality too. I see you have Tabac which for me is one of the easiest soaps for me to use. I had Col Conk and gave up on it. No matter how much I tried it just couldn't get a good consistent lather. Always broke down.

0 353
 05-02-2012, 07:48 AM
User Info
I agree with CyanideMetal. My best results come from directly rubbing the puck of soap onto my face. The stubble grinds off soap from the puck, then I go to it and face lather directly, working the brush smartly into my whiskers. Some days I need to add a little water, sometimes not. Essentially, thus is using a full puck as if it were a shaving stick. Bonus #1: buying the puck is significantly cheaper per ounce than buying the same product in a shaving stick. Bonus #2: you don't have to buy the expensive wooden bowl. Bonus #3: because of #1 and #2, you can buy more different and higher quality soaps. Bonus #4: this results in a quicker shave. Try it and enjoy!

15 316
 05-02-2012, 08:27 AM
User Info
(05-02-2012, 07:16 AM)Brent Wrote: Loading is not as easy with a soap of course as it is with a cream, especially with hard soaps. Swirl the brush on top of the puck for about 30 seconds. You'll pick up less than it may seem. If after 30 seconds you don't get alot of good lather then go for a minute, etc. You'll be able to find the sweet spot with the brush.

Some soaps are better/worse depending on your water quality too. I see you have Tabac which for me is one of the easiest soaps for me to use. I had Col Conk and gave up on it. No matter how much I tried it just couldn't get a good consistent lather. Always broke down.

Me too Brent! I can easily lather other soaps that many find finicky such as MWF & Cade, but those Conk soaps pulled a Houdini on me each and every time!

31 7,914
 05-02-2012, 09:33 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
This is not rocket science. After all, they've been doing it for over 150 years.

173 23,553
 05-02-2012, 10:12 AM
User Info
Here is my "soap help" post from another board. I hope it's okay to post that here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....ost3977278

Additionally, I would suggest you pick one of those soaps and work on getting your lathering down with that first rather than swapping soaps all the time.

Of those, I'd get Proraso down first, then move to Tabac and the others.

0 189
 05-02-2012, 01:22 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
(05-02-2012, 08:27 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(05-02-2012, 07:16 AM)Brent Wrote: Loading is not as easy with a soap of course as it is with a cream, especially with hard soaps. Swirl the brush on top of the puck for about 30 seconds. You'll pick up less than it may seem. If after 30 seconds you don't get alot of good lather then go for a minute, etc. You'll be able to find the sweet spot with the brush.

Me too Brent! I can easily lather other soaps that many find finicky such as MWF & Cade, but those Conk soaps pulled a Houdini on me each and every time!

HA! Same here. I don't have MWF but I do have Cade which I know many have problems with. I don't seem to have any problems with Cade, I guess my system works for me.

I do have the same problem with Vitos - but no other Italian soap. I even tried it with my boar brush last night and was disappointed again. I suppose I can take much more time and concentrate on it but I figured I shouldn't get frustrated and I'm PIFing it to a friend who may have better luck than I and enjoy it more.

0 353