02-15-2014, 01:54 PM
User Info
Fellow shavers,
I have a difficult time achieving a BBS along my jaw line (both left and right). I have tried three passes, pulling the skin taught, but there is always a bit of minute stubble. I am a bit afraid of running my feather blade from ear to to chin straight along the jaw.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for your learned advice.

39 3,918
 02-15-2014, 03:01 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
How are you shaving relative to the grain of your whiskers along the jaw line?

0 1,137
 02-15-2014, 03:59 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I hate to say this, but this is when my Mach 3 comes into play. There are several others areas where I find my Mach 3 indispensable for a BBS shave: upper lip under my nose, my chin and under my bottom lip.

7 909
 02-15-2014, 04:19 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Your hair could be growing a different direction there. When you pass along the jaw line do you go with, across, or against the grain. If you have a thick beard you might not be using an aggressive enough razor either. Keep in mind though sometimes it's not a good idea to attempt BBS. I find that I get best results with two passes. One with and one across the grain. I rarely achieve BBS but always achieve DFS with no irritation. When I do try to achieve BBS I usually get razor burn.

45 3,955
 02-15-2014, 04:23 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(02-15-2014, 03:59 PM)Rufus Wrote: I hate to say this, but this is when my Mach 3 comes into play. There are several others areas where I find my Mach 3 indispensable for a BBS shave: upper lip under my nose, my chin and under my bottom lip.

You're a braver man than I to admit using a Mach 3. However, probably more men do the same thing (in secrecy) than will admit to doing it. Personally, I don't even try for a BBS shave. Two passes and I'm done, as I'd rather have irritation free skin throughout the day, and no one would be able to notice the difference anyway. However, if I were attempting a third pass or a BBS shave, I'd do the same thing.

38 5,105
 02-15-2014, 06:41 PM
User Info
You don't have to get a BBS shave, every time. A darn fine shave is good enough for me. Have you tried pulling the skin and shaving in different directions while doing that? What is your shaving routine along the jawline?
If you really want that BBS shave, you could try a more aggressive razor in that area to see if that helps.
Good luck.

82 21,077
 02-15-2014, 06:54 PM
User Info
I have trouble with the same area. The hair grows at an extreme bias there, and almost disappears into the skin. It's like turtle hair and it's the place that I feel stubble at unless I take great time and care.

0 303
 02-16-2014, 04:06 AM
User Info
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. My beard is normal, NOT heavy. The hair on my jawline grows just as Face Bannon's, at an extreme angle towards my ears. When I have sported a full beard, without a mustache wax, I could never get that hair trained downward.
Regarding the razor, I am using a Feather AS-D2 with Feather blades. I have read that this is not an aggressive razor because of the full safety bar. I can achieve a really great shave with the 3-pass system. Maybe I have to suck it up and learn to live with the results that i am getting. Honestly, I also, as Evnpar says, would rather have an irritation free face, seeing as I shave 6 days a week.
I will not however, under any circumstances return to the Fusion 5 blade or six or ten...
Have a great day gents.

39 3,918
 02-16-2014, 05:43 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Primotenore I too have this issue. I did the mapping as some have suggested, and have tried different razor/blade combos too. Various passes. Sometimes my shave is close to perfect. It doesn't matter if my shave starts WTG, ATG, or XTG, the results are nearly identical in mixing/matching the passes. That Neandrethal hair of mine is a daily reminder of my pursuit of excellence. Shave on brother!

19 742
 02-16-2014, 06:16 AM
User Info
I need to pull my skin in a couple directions to get my jawline BBS, so you could try some experimenting there. Also, maybe a more aggressive razor to see if that makes the job easier.

34 156
 02-16-2014, 08:50 AM
User Info
(02-16-2014, 05:43 AM)Deuce Wrote: Primotenore I too have this issue. I did the mapping as some have suggested, and have tried different razor/blade combos too. Various passes. Sometimes my shave is close to perfect. It doesn't matter if my shave starts WTG, ATG, or XTG, the results are nearly identical in mixing/matching the passes. That Neandrethal hair of mine is a daily reminder of my pursuit of excellence. Shave on brother!
Thanks Chris.

(02-16-2014, 06:16 AM)BreakItYourself Wrote: I need to pull my skin in a couple directions to get my jawline BBS, so you could try some experimenting there. Also, maybe a more aggressive razor to see if that makes the job easier.

Thanks for your reply BIY!

39 3,918
 02-16-2014, 11:21 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
If it will continue to bother you maybe you should pick up a slightly more aggressive razor. You don't have to get a really aggressive razor maybe something middle of the road. Most would consider the AS-D1 and AS-D2 mild. You could rotate between your Feather and whatever else you choose. An adjustable such as a Merkur Progress would be a good choice.

(02-16-2014, 04:06 AM)primotenore Wrote: Thank you everyone for the suggestions. My beard is normal, NOT heavy. The hair on my jawline grows just as Face Bannon's, at an extreme angle towards my ears. When I have sported a full beard, without a mustache wax, I could never get that hair trained downward.
Regarding the razor, I am using a Feather AS-D2 with Feather blades. I have read that this is not an aggressive razor because of the full safety bar. I can achieve a really great shave with the 3-pass system. Maybe I have to suck it up and learn to live with the results that i am getting. Honestly, I also, as Evnpar says, would rather have an irritation free face, seeing as I shave 6 days a week.
I will not however, under any circumstances return to the Fusion 5 blade or six or ten...
Have a great day gents.

45 3,955
 02-16-2014, 08:30 PM
User Info
Have you tried blade-buffing that area? It seems to work for me in many trouble areas, but, again, for a BBS shave, you may need to try a more aggressive razor than your AS-D2, which most would consider a very mild razor, indeed.
The Merkur Progress is a very good razor and you can make it quite aggressive.
Again, best of luck. Smile

82 21,077
 02-17-2014, 12:29 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I've got the same issue right underneath my jaw. Some times I get that ATG angle just perfect, sometimes I don't. At any rate I leave mine at two passes. I've tried a lot of advanced strokes and in my opinion the irritation some of them cause my skin isn't worth a few hours of BBS to me.

I do get the best results with my more aggressive razors, and my adjustable razors though.

18 1,186
 02-17-2014, 03:08 PM
User Info
(02-17-2014, 12:29 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: I've got the same issue right underneath my jaw. Some times I get that ATG angle just perfect, sometimes I don't. At any rate I leave mine at two passes. I've tried a lot of advanced strokes and in my opinion the irritation some of them cause my skin isn't worth a few hours of BBS to me.

I do get the best results with my more aggressive razors, and my adjustable razors though.

Thanks. I agree about the irritation. I think my Merkur 180 might do a better job than my Feather.

39 3,918
 02-17-2014, 04:24 PM
User Info
FWIW, I think it will just come along. I'm about 6 weeks back into DE shaving and I struggled with the jawline as well. I don't recall doing anything specific, but upon reading this thread, I realized that my jawline is no longer an issue. I can't pinpoint anything specific that I am doing differently than I was 5 weeks ago, I guess I just "learned". You will to.

3 93
 02-17-2014, 05:31 PM
User Info
I've learned that my lathering/prep plays a large role. Do you use soap or cream? Preshave oil? Shower before shave?

Also, I'd suggest trying a slant or an open comb. Single edge razors/blades can be brutally efficient as well.

3 153
 02-17-2014, 05:44 PM
User Info
(02-17-2014, 05:31 PM)BudWhite Wrote: I've learned that my lathering/prep plays a large role. Do you use soap or cream? Preshave oil? Shower before shave?

Also, I'd suggest trying a slant or an open comb. Single edge razors/blades can be brutally efficient as well.

Good prep. Shower, no Oil, Proraso preshave and cream. When these are used up, I am going to give a MWF soap a try. I have been contemplating the the slant bar, but the Feather AS-D2 and my Merkur 180 do a pretty darn good job.
What do you think about the Merkur 37C?

39 3,918
 02-17-2014, 05:51 PM
User Info
I've never tried a slant. Just going on others' suggestions. I DO use MWF and LOVE it! Great stuff. Today I actually had my best shave ever with the NEW long comb, feather, and MWF.

3 153
 02-17-2014, 06:15 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
I feel your pain buddy. My hair does the same. The hair on my right jawline grows up towards my right ear. It grows on my left jawline growing towards my chin. I NEVER go along the jawline. I run almost parallel but not quite. I make short passes at about 10 to 20 degree angles against the grain.

2 334