02-15-2014, 06:57 PM
User Info
I just picked up a Gem Micromatic and a Clog Pruf --- what blade would you all recommend --- I love a smooth and efficient blade that can go BBS when I want to take it there --- my favorite DE blade for reference is Israeli Red and Perma Sharp for comparison sake/ reference point.

102 1,398
 02-15-2014, 07:42 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I recently inquired about the same thing. I contacted SharpSpine about what SE blades he prefers. He responded and advised me his favorite are the GEM SS coated PTFE). I've included a link below to the blades I believe he was referring to. I have no experience with these or any other SE blades myself though. I'm sure SharpSpine and others will be along to give more information.

http://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html

45 3,955
 02-15-2014, 08:29 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I get the best results from the Treet carbon steel blades (also made by ASR). These are very noticeably sharper than the stainless steel GEMs. In fact, the GEMs feel "dull" to me in comparison and I have to apply more pressure to them to make the same cut, resulting in more irritation. For this reason, I won't use the stainless blades. The GEMs, on the other hand, are smoother and last longer.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-15-2014, 08:35 PM
User Info
I was curious about this as well and I'm glad you asked!
I recently picked up an Ever Ready 1914.

6 229
 02-15-2014, 08:35 PM
User Info
I've only tried the GEM carbon steel blades and the GEM SS ptfe coated. I prefer the SS, and I find that they get better after 3-4 shaves. I love a sharp blade, but they are simply "too sharp" when fresh if that is possible. I like to use a fresh SS blade in a milder SE razor, then after a few shaves they work great in the more aggressive razors.

Murray, I wonder if you got some bad blades?

Edit: BTW, that link used to have the best pricing. I don't know if they still do. But those are the SS ptfe blades.

32 6,459
 02-15-2014, 08:40 PM
User Info
So are you all saying the SS are smoother than the SS ptfe ones? How about the Treets? Are they a solid performer?

Thank you to the opinions so far --- any vintage, NOS option floating around on eBay or Etsy that are great blasts from the past?

102 1,398
 02-15-2014, 08:58 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Hi Brian -

The stainless blades and the carbons are definitely different from each other, and I know that most SE shavers on the forums prefer the stainless, especially the PTFE-coated ones. I wonder sometimes if I just became accustomed to the first kind of blade that I used and didn't adapt well to the other.

I think I used a couple of uncoated GEM stainless blades from Walgreen's and a coated stainless blade that someone sent me. Both uncoated blades were the same and the coated blade was essentially the same but perhaps a bit smoother. It just seemd that the carbon blades with a light touch would plow right through the whiskers like they weren't even there (first shave, anyway), while the stainless "hesitated" and required some coaxing.

My beard is coarse, but not very dense, and I have very sensitive skin. I work best with a mild razor and a sharp blade (but not Feather sharp), so I only used a Heavy Flat Top/G-Bar and a Featherweight for razors.

- Murray

Boonie, the PTFE-coated stainless steel GEMs are the smoothest, followed by the uncoated GEM stainless. The Treets are carbon steel and they are noticeably sharper than the stainless blades but not quite as smooth. All are solid performers, depending on the preferences of the consumer.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-16-2014, 12:46 AM
User Info
Boonie, you need to try the various blades for yourself. I stopped searching when I found the GEM SS ptfe blades. I'm basically lazy. I enjoy the shave, but I detest the minutia of caring for a carbon steel blade, but the GEM SS ptfe blades worked fine for me so I stopped looking. As I previously wrote, maybe a bit too sharp when fresh, but I can deal with that.

I've never used Treets, but I know folks who love them.

I liked the GEM CS blades, but we get back to the lazy and minutia thing as it relates to me. I simply don't want to care for a $.20 blade to the extent that a CS blade requires; I have better things to do with my time. It isn't much care, I just rebel against it. I guess I've been spoiled by SS blades and the lack of care that they thrive on.

Try the various blades and see what you like and can live with.

When I tested DE blades I tested over 40 blades to find the few I really liked. You have it much easier with SE. There simply aren't that many to test. The good thing is that most of the remaining blades are pretty good. Just steer clear of any Dorco SE blade and others that no one has ever heard of, Vincent and Royal are 2 that come to mind. I have 3 Royals left out of a pack of 5 if you want to try them. I'll take them out of my window scraping blade stash out in the shop if you want me to. Brand new they are aren't as good as a GEM SS ptfe after 20 some odd shaves. Smile They just aren't. But it'll give you something to judge other blades against.

Murray, would you care to try another SS blade from another lot? I'm not suggesting you're wrong, but maybe the blade was a bad blade. Other folks don't care for the SS ptfe blades either so you're in good company. I'm not trying to push you into anything, just offering possibilities. All it would take is an address (PM'ed) to try another if you're open to it.

32 6,459
 02-16-2014, 06:11 AM
User Info
Yep, the fine fellas above covered it.

Carbons are noticeably sharper but that isn't a good thing for me; especially when they rust during their first use in my very hard water.

As BrianK mentioned, the SS PTFE blades seem to hit their sweet spot 3-4 shaves in and then stay sweet for at least 10 more shaves (for me). I palm strop all new blades and get to the sweet spot in the first or second shave now from a new blade.

31 8,057