02-18-2014, 03:02 AM
User Info
I know this is heresy but I've decided all I need/want is three razors. I have 4. However, I've also learned that at this stage in my wet shaving journey I prefer mild razors. So two need to go, one too mild for my taste and one too aggressive. I'll be keeping the de89 and the Weber.

I've been considering the AS-D2 which near as I can figure shaves much like my Aristocrat .... if so, too mild. Also looking at the M1 which seems like it would be similar to the Weber ... if so, just right. Wonder if I'm missing any obvious candidates (other than News)? Suggestions appreciated and comments on the AS-D2 & M1 welcomed.

6 358
 02-18-2014, 03:22 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
AS-D2 is for me much milder then both the Weber or EJ. I only kept the Weber btw.

28 1,442
 02-18-2014, 03:27 AM
User Info
For mild, please look at the vintage Gillette Super Speeds. They are wonderful razors plus you'll have a piece of history. Even better try to find a Fatboy or Slim adjustable. Then you can dial in your flavor of aggressiveness.

22 752
 02-18-2014, 05:27 AM
User Info
Not up on Gillette history, but isn't the super speed much like the Aristocrat? I've had my run with adjustables - since I only use one setting it seems pointless to have the adjustable feature when there are so many razors to choose from.

I am curious how efficient the AS-D2 is compared to the Weber?

6 358
 02-18-2014, 07:49 AM
User Info
ATT M1 is a great razor, but would not describe it as Mild, more of a Moderate shaver.

My favorite Mild shavers are the Ikon Slant and the Gillette Slim. Either of these with a sharp blade give me a really nice shave!

53 1,199
 02-18-2014, 09:45 AM
User Info
I too sit in the milder side of life camp. I find a Weber too aggressive, unless used with a Derby blade then it's just on the hairy edge between moderate and aggressive. As a gauge, I find a Merkur 34HD mild/moderate.

My favourite razor is a Gilette british aluminum tech. It's mild enough that I can shave daily with it without irritating my face and gives me a BBS shave each time. Using anything else generally gives me a BBS/DFS but I have to wait 2-3 days until my face heals.

23 656
 02-18-2014, 11:14 AM
User Info
If you are limiting your collection to three, then the Merkur Progress or some kind of adjustable would most appropriately be of great use, in my opinion. The very slight modification on aggressiveness it could afford you is really invaluable.
Good luck. Smile

83 21,081
 02-18-2014, 11:36 AM
User Info
Not limiting my selection to three, but limiting my collection to three Shy I've had my go with adjustables and haven't found one that wanted to keep.

6 358
 02-18-2014, 11:52 AM
User Info
Al, well that is unfortunate. You didn't like the Progress?
Have you tried the Pils? Beautifully crafted! Smile
I hope you can find your third razor, then! Biggrin

83 21,081
 02-18-2014, 08:45 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I would say the AS D2 is milder than the Weber, The M1 is more aggressive than the Weber. I guess what im saying is im of no help Biggrin

Feather is milder than your EJ 89
I say go with the M1

This is a good read!! http://shavenook.com/thread-stainless-st...st-summary

118 1,708
 02-18-2014, 09:01 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I've never heard the Aristocrat qualified as "mild." It is definitely more aggressive than a Super Speed and probably more along the lines of a Red Tip, which was Gillette's idea of aggressive. I favor mild razors, too, and though I haven't shaved with an Aristocrat for some time I remember it being too aggressive for me.

Right now my perfect mild razor is a Mergress at the lowest setting, being the best combination of mild and effective that I have yet found. I prefer it by a good margin to the Gillette Adjustables.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-18-2014, 10:07 PM
User Info
So many versions of the Aristocrat. Mine is I948-1950, and I believe it is a '48. Had the Mergress and 2 worked well for me. I preferred the de89 and the Weber. The stainless shoot out is a good read.

Looking for an efficient razor that is on the mild side. But some thing different than what I have. If I had realized how similar the Weber and de89 were I probably would have passed on the Weber. But I have and like both + the de89 gets a permanent place in my home since it is my first safety razor. Typical sensitive skin with medium beard and I'm not feeling the love for aggressive razors.

The Feather and Pils both seem to have a small following with several who simply can't get a good shave from either. Tradere SB also seems like a possibility but is not currently available new. Tradere also seems to be more moderate than mild. I don't recall seeing one on the used market . Ikon Deluxe OC seems like another possibility but then I've read about Ikon's non existent customer service. No doubt the razors are decent but I hate doing business with those kinds of companies. ATT M1 seems to be moderate as well. The Merkur 34 would seem to give me what I already have.

The Feather and Pils appeal as mild razors but how efficient are they? The Tradere and M1 appeal as moderate razors but how smooth are they?

What a nice problem to have Smile

6 358
 02-24-2014, 09:19 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I tried a few razors and settled on the Progress. Then I tried a slant and I have not been able to go back.

It's certainly worth a try - esp if you have sensitive skin. IMHO - a properly wielded slant reduces shaving stress on skin VS a reg DE.

17 535
 02-24-2014, 03:50 PM
User Info
I also limited my collection to '3'

A slim adjustable, a Merkur 39c, and the "third" is the ATT system. Smile

0 30
 02-24-2014, 07:03 PM
User Info
(02-24-2014, 03:50 PM)jacobwilson99 Wrote: I also limited my collection to '3'

A slim adjustable, a Merkur 39c, and the "third" is the ATT system. Smile

haha - clever! Biggrin

7 1,624
 02-25-2014, 02:17 AM
User Info
The AS-D2 is very mild. Have you considered the Tradere SB or Joris? The Tradere can still be purchased from Nassrasur.com, both are fantastic performers.

23 475
 02-25-2014, 02:55 AM
User Info
The Tradere SB is an option but rarely comes up on the used market. Odd, in all my searching I really haven't read much about the Joris.

If the As-d2 is mild and inefficient, like the '48 Aristocrat, then it is too mild. If it is mild but efficient then it remains an option. Near as I can figure it generally regarded as efficient if one can find the correct angle.

Have a couple of razors to find new homes for. Once that's done I'll make a decision.

6 358
 02-25-2014, 04:01 AM
User Info
(02-25-2014, 02:55 AM)Aimless1 Wrote: The Tradere SB is an option but rarely comes up on the used market. Odd, in all my searching I really haven't read much about the Joris.

If the As-d2 is mild and inefficient, like the '48 Aristocrat, then it is too mild. If it is mild but efficient then it remains an option. Near as I can figure it generally regarded as efficient if one can find the correct angle.

Have a couple of razors to find new homes for. Once that's done I'll make a decision.

I'd go the Tradere SB, it's simply a fantastic razor. You can buy it new from the official German retailer.

The Joris is a stunning razor and very smooth, it's open comb which initially deterred me from using it, but once I did I found it's a beauty. The only issue with the Joris is you need to disassemble after every use, otherwise the palladium finish on the base plate will discolour.

23 475
 02-25-2014, 06:35 AM
User Info
(02-25-2014, 04:01 AM)mixershave Wrote: The Joris is a stunning razor and very smooth, it's open comb which initially deterred me from using it, but once I did I found it's a beauty. The only issue with the Joris is you need to disassemble after every use, otherwise the palladium finish on the base plate will discolour.

that's odd. i had and used a joris with palladium finish for quite some while and i only disassembled once ever 2 weeks when changing blade. never had any issues with discoloration.

7 1,624
 02-25-2014, 06:48 AM
User Info
Also look at the British Gillette Rocket HD --- very good shave (BBS) but pretty mild to me.

102 1,406