02-19-2014, 08:21 AM
User Info
That perhaps the reason you like some of the products you do is because they remind you of your childhood?

0 295
 02-19-2014, 08:40 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Absolutely.

175 23,752
 02-19-2014, 09:00 AM
User Info
Unfortunately not as I had nothing shave-related from my childhood! My dad didn't really shave with us around and he stopped using his older three-piece razor when we were very young.

I do, however, have fallen in love with Mystic Water Bay Rum as it somehow reminds me of an age from long ago for some reason! Biggrin

82 21,056
 02-19-2014, 09:19 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(02-19-2014, 09:00 AM)celestino Wrote: Unfortunately not as I had nothing shave-related from my childhood! My dad didn't really shave with us around and he stopped using his older three-piece razor when we were very young.

I do, however, have fallen in love with Mystic Water Bay Rum as it somehow reminds me of an age from long ago for some reason! Biggrin

That's childhood. Biggrin

175 23,752
 02-19-2014, 09:43 AM
User Info
(02-19-2014, 09:19 AM)Johnny Wrote: That's childhood. Biggrin

* I only started shaving, the proper way, 3 years ago, though! Biggrin

82 21,056
 02-19-2014, 09:45 AM
User Info
I don't remember seeing or smelling any shaving creams or soaps at my local barber shop when I was a kid, and my dad used canned shaving cream. But I certainly remember the smells of aftershaves, and some of the aftershaves I use now remind me nicely of those.

206 12,188
 02-19-2014, 09:47 AM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
I think nostalgia is a big part of our hobby. Just shaving with equipment that was used maybe over 100 yrs ago is exciting in itself. Especially if it's by your relatives. Makes the whole process special.

0 76
 02-19-2014, 10:30 AM
User Info
(02-19-2014, 09:47 AM)tave Wrote: I think nostalgia is a big part of our hobby. Just shaving with equipment that was used maybe over 100 yrs ago is exciting in itself. Especially if it's by your relatives. Makes the whole process special.

^This.

Also, every time I splash on the Pinaud Clubman, I'm transported back to the corner barber shop my Mom used to drop me off at as a kid. It's like being 8 yrs old again.

3 153
 02-19-2014, 10:56 AM
  • XP100
  • Veteran Shaver!
  • Florida, USA
User Info
Yes, despite some people possibly thinking I'm cheap, or that old is bad for some reason, I still find the cheaper products used by my barbers of old to be quite pleasant and a bit nostalgic. I find Pinaud Clubman reminds me of the haircuts I got as a kid. For $.25 cents a real barber gave my head a comb & scissor cut, the comb and scissors always pulled from a glass tube like a reverse coffee press filled with blue liquid that had a unique smell when he shook off the excess and wiped them dry. The haircut always followed up with a hot towel on the back of my neck, followed by a nice warm lather and straight razor neck shave, followed up with a splash of Clubman AS, a talc dusting and a pleasant brush off of the cut hairs. I kinda miss those huge white things they'd attach to my neck, that covered my upper torso and upper legs, how after a haircut they'd slide them off being careful to get the hairs on the floor and not on me, like a bullfighter flagging a bull with a cape they did it with a single flip and a certain grace. There's negative things too, like nowadays I don't like the smell of Electrashave or original Old Spice, my dad used them, really not sure why I'm put off my their smells but they almost turn my stomach now. That's a nostalgic moment I don't care for and to this day I don't understand why those scents really put me off. These days using a good cotton towel dampened with steamy hot water on my face takes me back to calmer, slower times. Sitting a bowl in a sink full of hot water, working up a good lather in it, applying said warm lather takes me to a place of trust and contentment that's hard to put into words. The whole experience becomes Zen-like, perhaps because the barbershop was such a peaceful and relaxing experience. They always had magazines like American Hunter and National Rifleman on a table in front of the waiting chairs, usually a good collection of comic books and Boy Scout magazines too for the younger guys. I really miss those days.

Sent from my SlimBean Shoe-Phone!

0 22
 02-19-2014, 11:01 AM
User Info
well then - my special shave related childhood memory goes like this:

at 8 i became unusually interested in magic (conjuring). by 11 i had collected around 100 vintage magic books - which i still have - and around this time i had seen a magician (seemingly) swallowing a dozen razor blades and a string - immediately followed by pulling the string from mouth with blades tied on in regular intervals. i rushed to the local paint shop and purchased 50 (!) norwegian made old type blades and when back home locked myself into my room to practice...

how did it go? underwhelming... i laid 10 blades and a thread carefully on my tongue and shut my mouth - cutting myself hefty - spat them out resolutely with lots of blood and my magic career was kind of over. i was never to become marius houdini Euro but really - i was bitter because it didn’t work out as planned. i didn’t dare to tell my parents what i had done - in fact i didn’t tell my mother before recently: she was speachless. a real shocker i tell you Biggrin

so perhaps my subconsciousness eventually led me back to razor blades - but this time to get rid of my fear for that pack of hurt.

i’m quite happy i didn’t aim for sawing myself in two Sleepy

7 1,624
 02-19-2014, 11:17 AM
User Info
Great story, Marius! Biggrin

82 21,056
 02-19-2014, 11:21 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Not really. When I was a child I shaved with Gillette Foamy.

1 795
 02-19-2014, 11:26 AM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Marius, it's supposed to be nostalgia, not trauma! After that, I'm surprised that you don't shave with an electric. Huh

It was certainly nostalgia that brought me here. When I started shaving, around 1967 as my best guess, the choice was a Gillette DE or a Schick Injector. My dad always used a Gillette, but my mother thought an Injector would be a better first razor for me, so I started with a Schick Type L. Some years later, I migrated to a Gillette adjustable.

Eight years ago, I found on the Internet that one could buy new DE razors, made by Merkur. That piqued my curiosity, and through a web search I landed at these forums.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-19-2014, 11:38 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Absolutely.

I believe that's why I appreciate Tabac, Brut, Kouros and Swiss Pitralon so much. Biggrin

26 4,892
 02-19-2014, 11:51 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
Great thread, Clubman takes me back to the barbershop when I was a kid, and Skin Bracer reminds me of my Dad, which is why I absolutely love the stuff.

17 549
 02-19-2014, 01:50 PM
User Info
No nostalgia for me. It is all about getting a better shave, and now enjoyment. I have no memories of shaving with anything but a cart. I don't care for antiques either.

24 227
 02-19-2014, 06:52 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Two of the razors in my rotation are the same razors that I watched my father and grandfather shave with, and that I have shaved with off and on over the past 50 years. My grandfather always used Old Spice products, and my father Mennen. I'd give anything to watch them shaving again. My barber shop used bay rum. These scents have been with me so long that they kindle deep seated memories in the same way as pumpkin pie or bread fresh out of the oven.

38 5,029
 02-20-2014, 12:38 PM
User Info
(02-19-2014, 06:52 PM)evnpar Wrote: Two of the razors in my rotation are the same razors that I watched my father and grandfather shave with, and that I have shaved with off and on over the past 50 years. My grandfather always used Old Spice products, and my father Mennen. I'd give anything to watch them shaving again. My barber shop used bay rum. These scents have been with me so long that they kindle deep seated memories in the same way as pumpkin pie or bread fresh out of the oven.

You gotta love that Classic Old Spice scent. While I am not very old, only 30 , I love that smell as my father use to use it. I might have to purchase some for him as well as for me from WCS, since they are said to carry it.

0 295
 02-20-2014, 01:27 PM
User Info
(02-19-2014, 11:26 AM)CMur12 Wrote: Marius, it's supposed to be nostalgia, not trauma! After that, I'm surprised that you don't shave with an electric. Huh

an electric would certainly caused a real trauma and a sad sad life. my childhood "trauma" was solved instead of putting it into the eternal closet. i'm so wise - oh so wise Biggrin

further: at 3 i put my hand into my fathers toiletry bag and cut my fingers on his razor. never told anyone about that either because i had the moment before squeezed and destroyed my mothers lipstick Angel

7 1,624
 02-20-2014, 02:28 PM
User Info
Definitely some of my scents preferences are related to things from my childhood.

34 156