02-19-2014, 10:11 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I have limited my brushes fairly much to Simpson brushes. Not only to Simpsons but Simpsons in Manchurian or Super Badger exclusively. I have been very pleased with the brushes and the resulting shaves. Simpson then offered TSN Ph8 in Best and I eagerly bought one. I immediately fell in love with the brush. The brush handled, lathered and softened my beard better than some of my more expensive brushes. I have been using the Ph8 for several months now and look forward to it as it nears the top of my list in my brush rotation. Recently, I had the opportunity to acquire a Simpson 57 in Best Badger. I wanted to see if my Ph8 was a freak or was Best badger really that good.
The bottom line is my two Simpson best badgers shave circles around some of my Manchurian as well as my Silvertips. The 2 Best badgers are every bit as good as my favorite Silvertips and Manchurians. I may replace some of these more expensive brushes with Simpson's Best brushes in the near future.

68 1,068
 02-19-2014, 10:13 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
Yes, Simpson Best is that good. The overwhelming majority of my brushes are Best, and there is not a piker in the lot.

0 1,137
 02-19-2014, 10:16 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Agreed.

I only recently discovered the merits of Simpson Best knots, via the P8.

I now have the CH2 Best as well, and hope to get additional examples.

102 18,649
 02-19-2014, 10:23 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Good I am not crazy.Two people agree. That settles it my next brush is a CH 1 in Best.

68 1,068
 02-19-2014, 10:25 AM
User Info
Well, there's no guarantee that I'm not crazy, but the Simpson hair I have anymore is their Best. Yup, it's that good.

32 6,459
 02-19-2014, 11:15 AM
User Info
Well, I might as well try a Chubby 2 in Best, then, since my Chubby 2 Super is such a lovely brush. I guess it doesn't take much convincing! Biggrin

83 21,077
 02-19-2014, 11:22 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
The Best is truly the best. I like it better than my Simpson's supers. The only Manchurian I have is the Jubilee and it's very nice and on a par with my Bests. The only Simpson's badger I have yet to try is the two band. Shavemac's Finest is similar to Simpson's Best in terms of price, quality and performance.

7 909
 02-19-2014, 11:56 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I have a CH2 Best already with a few years (I'd say around 2010) and, to me and everyone else who's tried it, it is nothing short of a Silvertip hair. The tips are quite softer than my Tulip 3 Super, which still puzzles me quite a bit, I must say. Apart from the soft tips, it's also extremely dense, much denser than my CH2 2-Band, and has a very decent backbone.

My P8, although having soft tips, is not nearly as soft as the CH2, but it does have superior backbone (taking into account the smaller knot, of course).

All this to say that the Simpsons Best has not remained quite the same over the years, and I personally prefer the older brushes, but to me it is still a very good all-around badger hair, and represents Simpson's best price/quality offerings.

26 4,927
 02-19-2014, 11:59 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I must be the exception then.
I've had a few Simpsons (second-hand) in Best and I've sold them all within 2 weeks of using them. They just didn't hold a candle to any of my other brushes (including an old Edwin Jagger Chatsworth in best badger).
They had too much scritch (really irritating) while being too floppy. I even tied some rubber-bands around the base of one of the knots to stiffen the loft but sold it anyway.
The only Simpson brush I still own and use is a Tulip-1 (in Super).
I'm sure my experience is unique, and to be fair I've never bought a Simpson brush from new (always from BST).

47 1,923
 02-19-2014, 12:39 PM
User Info
If I could only keep one brush, it would be a Simpson in Best. Just the most enjoyable to me.

34 156
 02-19-2014, 12:41 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(02-19-2014, 10:11 AM)Barrylu Wrote: I have limited my brushes fairly much to Simpson brushes. Not only to Simpsons but Simpsons in Manchurian or Super Badger exclusively. I have been very pleased with the brushes and the resulting shaves. Simpson then offered TSN Ph8 in Best and I eagerly bought one. I immediately fell in love with the brush. The brush handled, lathered and softened my beard better than some of my more expensive brushes. I have been using the Ph8 for several months now and look forward to it as it nears the top of my list in my brush rotation. Recently, I had the opportunity to acquire a Simpson 57 in Best Badger. I wanted to see if my Ph8 was a freak or was Best badger really that good.
The bottom line is my two Simpson best badgers shave circles around some of my Manchurian as well as my Silvertips. The 2 Best badgers are every bit as good as my favorite Silvertips and Manchurians. I may replace some of these more expensive brushes with Simpson's Best brushes in the near future.

If you like the P8 and 57, you should get a 58 in best badger. One word describes it, devine.

178 23,807
 02-19-2014, 12:59 PM
  • MarkW
  • Isle of Man
User Info
Thank you.

1 632
 02-19-2014, 01:25 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
Of my last three Simpson Chubby 3s, I actually liked the Best better than either the Super or Manchurian. Crazy I know...but of the three, I really wish I had that Chubby 3 in Best back in my rotation.

36 489
 02-19-2014, 01:26 PM
  • MarkW
  • Isle of Man
User Info
Forgive my short tirade, born of frustration.

Sometimes it's just good to let it out.

1 632
 02-19-2014, 01:39 PM
User Info
(02-19-2014, 01:26 PM)Simpson1919 Wrote: Forgive my short tirade, born of frustration.

Do all Chubby sizes come in fan shape?

9 1,203
 02-19-2014, 04:02 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I have always had wonderful experiences with every Simpson's Best I have owned. I have actually never tried the Super (I do have some 2 bands and a Manchurian), but keeping apples to apples, after trying the best, I can't imagine such a good thing getting better with the Super!

I really do need a 58 Biggrin!

34 1,628
 02-19-2014, 04:05 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I have yet to find a Best batch that I like.... Not saying it does not exist...I just have not found it... And thus I decided to refrain from trying it again ... And settled on 2 band instead... Angel

37 1,861
 02-19-2014, 04:10 PM
  • Elendil
  • The snow's back.
User Info
Best is like a chameleon in the hands of Mark's brush makers. On one hand, it can make these dense, scrubby brushes like the Chubby, Classic and Duke. On another, it can make meltingly soft brushes like Keyholes and Milk Churns that are less dense. Finally, you can get intermediates like Fifties and Rovers that blend the best of both extremes.

0 1,137
 02-19-2014, 04:11 PM
  • Manning
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
Best is my favorite over Silvertip, Manchurian, and 2 Band, although I certainly enjoy those grades as well.

My favorite brush is the Chubby 2 in best. It's perfect in my opinion.

13 141
 02-19-2014, 05:56 PM
  • Elendil
  • The snow's back.
User Info
(02-19-2014, 01:39 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote:
(02-19-2014, 01:26 PM)Simpson1919 Wrote: Forgive my short tirade, born of frustration.

Do all Chubby sizes come in fan shape?

The 2 bands tend to come in bulbs...German can confirm.

0 1,137