02-19-2014, 11:30 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
One 50 gram Speick shave stick is about $6 USD.
One 90 gram puck of Czech & Speake is about $37.

On a weight basis, the Czech & Speake is about 3 times more expensive.

Considering that Speick stick is generally regarded as an excellent soap (although I'm sure not everyone loves it), why would I and others buy the Czech & Speake? It is crazy. How do those evil geniuses do it? It cannot be marketing; I've never seen an ad for Czech & Speake anywhere!

1 795
 02-19-2014, 12:58 PM
User Info
The customer determines the price, period

4 158
 02-19-2014, 02:21 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Same as alum blocks: all marketing, and people thinking some potassium alum is more equal than others Smile

0 1,776
 02-19-2014, 03:56 PM
User Info
I have had similar thoughts. But you must remember these High-End products are most likely are aimed at the Upper Class. The same can be said about shaving brushes.

0 295
 02-19-2014, 05:06 PM
User Info
(02-19-2014, 11:30 AM)Teddyboy Wrote: One 50 gram Speick shave stick is about $6 USD.

Considering that Speick stick is generally regarded as an excellent soap (although I'm sure not everyone loves it), why would I and others buy the Czech & Speake? It is crazy. How do those evil geniuses do it? It cannot be marketing; I've never seen an ad for Czech & Speake anywhere!

I have both products (Speick / C&S No 88) and while Speick is a decent soap, for me it isnt the same as C&S. The lathers are comparable, but I find the scent and post-shave feeling of Czech & Speake to be superior.

As with everything, different people have different standards of what is costly and what is important to them. I bought three travel pucks (75g) of No 88 off Amazon for $30 (shipped free w/Prime) in May 2012 and I am down to a nub of the third puck. That $0.40 per gram is more expensive than the $0.12/gr for Speick - but I have enjoyed the shaves it has given me.

Much more so than the Speick, which lives in the linen closet upstairs and I think hasn't been used since Nov-2012 (according to my rotation sheet). The scent is pleasantly herbal and mildly medicinal to my nose, but I experience a tight post shave feeling with it.

I am more than OK with spending $30 - $37 for a puck of soap that lasts me about 2 yrs as a part of a rotation. Before I switched to traditional shaving; I used Neutrogena Shave Cream, a great product that is only $5 for 144 grams ($0.034/gr) - which makes Speick look like it is for Louis XIV

8 240
 02-19-2014, 06:49 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
Oxford and Cambridge smells at least 3x better than Speick. To me. YMMV.

0 1,137
 02-19-2014, 07:02 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(02-19-2014, 03:56 PM)BigMark Wrote: I have had similar thoughts. But you must remember these High-End products are most likely are aimed at the Upper Class. The same can be said about shaving brushes.

Oh, please tell my wife that we're upper class so that she'll stop giving me a hard time about buying shaving products. Biggrin

38 5,113
 02-19-2014, 09:12 PM
User Info
I can only address this in generalities based on what little I've learned the hard way. I'm very quick to tell folks that I know absolutely nothing about manufacturing and retailing.

Ingredients can also have a huge impact on pricing. Sometimes the ingredients must be there and the manufacturer simply does the best possible and tries to make a profit. Face it, with no profit there is no business or product. One can also make a product so good that no one can afford it. It's a balancing act.

If I had to make a living from my products I'd be out of business tomorrow. But I do it as a lark and profit be damned, especially with the Frostbite. I priced it so that folks could (mostly) afford it. C&S obviously has a different business model. I doubt that it's the "something to do in retirement" business model that I have. Most folks have far more invested in their business than I do and don't work out of their kitchen. All investments need to be paid back and that's figured into the price also.

32 6,460
 02-20-2014, 02:50 PM
User Info
Look at the pricing on a Semogue Owners Club 2 Band Cherry. You can get one from Leon at Vintage Scent for $72.82 w/$3.45 shipping.

When I Google this brush from a CONUS vendor, the price is generally ~$95.00; sometimes free shipping; sometimes not. Even with free shipping you are looking a pretty hefty delta. I have a number of Semogue boars and badgers and have always gone through Leon. Dollar-for-dollar I have not found better pricing, unless there is a CONUS Semogue vendor I have overlooked. Also, I understand CONUS vendors have certain fees they incur but I have to go with the best value for the dollar. Undecided

Just a thought....thanks much.

22 752
 02-20-2014, 04:26 PM
User Info
(02-19-2014, 11:30 AM)Teddyboy Wrote: One 50 gram Speick shave stick is about $6 USD.

that is not the case. c&s have run massive ad campaigns for decades. for instance pick up a random british house & garden magazine - new or old - and you'll find their striking full page ads.

speick also runs non-stop aggressive marketing - but maybe the main targets are the european markets. remember the european population are about the same as north and south america combined.

7 1,624
 02-21-2014, 02:52 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
So Tonsorius, are you saying that marketing is the reason or not the reason.

I have never seen a Czech and Speake ad in a US publication, but admittedly I am not the GQ type of reader. But also, as you point out Speick has its marketing costs as well. Perhaps in Europe, Czech and Speake have developed a high-end, more sophisticated and affluent customer-base.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

1 795
 02-21-2014, 04:05 PM
User Info
(02-21-2014, 02:52 PM)Teddyboy Wrote: So Tonsorius, are you saying that marketing is the reason or not the reason.

I have never seen a Czech and Speake ad in a US publication, but admittedly I am not the GQ type of reader. But also, as you point out Speick has its marketing costs as well. Perhaps in Europe, Czech and Speake have developed a high-end, more sophisticated and affluent customer-base.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

i'm not sure if i understand your question - but c&s make high end products and their target is of course high end wallets - thus serious ads and marketing is a must. it's a combination. c&s shaving soap is just a small and fairly cheap product from their portfolio.

7 1,624
 02-22-2014, 04:46 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
C&S is targeting high end buyers and prices accordingly. I'm sure that their view is, "If you don't like the price, don't buy it."

0 1,137
 02-22-2014, 12:15 PM
User Info
If you think about it, even high end shaving products offer better "bang for your buck" than other high end items. Kobe beef often goes for $30 an ounce in a restaurant. At the very least you get about 2-3 months' worth out of a C&S puck every morning.

- Josh -

84 1,505
 02-25-2014, 10:39 AM
User Info
Shaving soap is not C&S's bread & butter. It's just something extra to sell to their existing customer base who will gladly gobble it up.

If you think about how wealthy those people are, the price of that puck is like $6 to the rest of us.

9 3,036