02-19-2014, 01:59 PM
User Info
We have been getting a lot of snow events. More each time than predicted. Today the forecast has snow/wintry mix in it. That means wet and heavy.

I have steep roofs and rarely go up there in good weather. I do not shovel those.

But attached to the back of the garage in an unheated equipment shed. That had 30 inches of snow. Time to climb up and shovel.

[Image: Kq3udhW.jpg]

You shovel from the high point to the low edge leaving snow between you and the low edge. Hopefully the snow will stop you from going over the edge if you fall.

The brown object in the left of the pic is the cupola on my wood shed. So I can't shovel straight down or it all lands on the woodshed. I have to pitch each shovel full as far as possible.

I finished just as the winter mix moved inSmile

Roof shoveling is the only part of NH winters I do not like.

Phil

7 363
 02-19-2014, 02:07 PM
User Info
WOW! Looks like they need to make super light snow blowers.
Is that wet snow? Makes it all the worse for tossing.

31 1,800
 02-19-2014, 02:08 PM
User Info
Wow, Phil! That seems like a precarious job! Good thing the snow can always absorb your fall, if need be. Smile

83 21,077
 02-19-2014, 02:56 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Here in my area of Michigan it's impossible to find a roof rake. Even Walmart.com is out of roof rakes.

45 3,955
 02-19-2014, 03:31 PM
User Info
Raked the edges a few times but haven't had to climb up yet. Unlike prior years when the snow hit it never melted. Our 5th snowiest winter with over 100 inches to date and a good 24+ inches on the ground.

I am an insurance agent Had 8 claims by 9 a.m. for ice dams with the resulting water damage including two collapsed ceilings and a collapsed barn. Be careful if you need to get up on the roof!

6 358
 02-19-2014, 05:46 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Phil,

Although we live in Chicago, my office is in Boston (Wilmington/Woburn) so I'm very familiar with your weather (it's rough). I was joking with my wife today that if it rains as planned Thursday, I'll be in the backyard picking up after the dogs for 2 days alone. This is the worst winter I've experienced since 78-79 (that one got the Mayor of Chicago fired). Good news? SWMBO has finally agreed to consider a move West

19 742
 02-20-2014, 09:36 AM
User Info
I finally decided to splurge and buy a snowblower back in November. Money well spent. Now if I can just figure out how to get it up on the garage roof.... I spent the entire afternoon up there shoveling yesterday. It's just started snowing again now. I think Father Time needs to go over to Mother Nature's house with a bottle of wine and a picnic basket,and then spend the evening making a little Spring. Wink

1 346
 02-20-2014, 09:40 AM
User Info
Yeah, this has been a particularly challenging winter in New England (not that its not in other places). Its not like the snow amounts are that outrageous; its just been this cycle of snow, arctic air, one warm day, arctic air, snow, arctic air. If I don't get the snow completely off the driveway and walkways, it turns into a sheet of ice.

84 1,505
 02-20-2014, 09:45 AM
User Info
They are predicting rain for tomorrow. Time to get some of the snow off the house and garage.

I use a device called the Avalance. Has a head like a Trac II. There is a long sleeve of flexible plastic attached to the head. the "blade" slices through the snow which falls onto the slick plastic and slide off of the roof.

[Image: pCFYEP0.jpg]

It has a 16 foot handle. I can reach about half of the house roof and a quarter of the garage. But any weight load reduction is a good thing.

This is how much snow was on the garage
[Image: DVd44mL.jpg]

It gives me quite a work out. My upper back and arms are sore.
But the worst wear and tear is my knees. I was standing in snow deep enough to almost reach my good parts. So my knees are cold and wet. In deep snow you can not easily take a quick step to adjust your position or balance. So I put a lot of lateral stress on my long suffering knees.

However that still beats actually going on the roof and shoveling.

Phil

7 363
 02-20-2014, 04:38 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Phil, and all of you in this worst of winters, I wish you relief ASAP.

2 11,211
 02-20-2014, 04:50 PM
User Info
Phil

I just did the same thing today. You're not kidding about the workout. I was pooped after it was done.

Like you, I wasn't able to reach the top of the roof. As you say, any weight reduction is good.

We did spend the whole morning trying to find a roof rake. Got lucky finally and found one.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

37 1,743
 02-21-2014, 12:47 AM
User Info
Winter in New England! But the good news is that the sun is getting high in the sky. This won't last much longer.

With our metal roofs I didn't dare go up there. Even in the summer with high traction soles one slowly slides off. I hired it done the first time. Most times the snow and ice just slides off, but this last time it was frozen right to the roof and we had rain forecast to arrive. Snow accumulation and rain are a bad combo. The 2 gents who showed up did it safely, were insured, and got it done in well under an hour.

Most of the time I use a roof rake, but that time I couldn't break into it to pull it down. It was the first time in over 30 years I had to hire it done.

In years past if I slid off it was no big deal. In fact I'd jump off of the roof and land in the snow for a fast, safe, and soft landing. But that particular time there was little snow to cushion a fall. It was $ well spent IMO.

OK, I know what you're thinking. So how did the hired gents do it if a metal roof is so slippery? The ice that was frozen to the metal I told them not to remove. That gave them something to walk on for traction. It also left a few inches of snow/ice on the roof, but it was far lighter afterward than before. I could see in my minds eye an ambulance coming to collect the broken bodies and I didn't want that.

32 6,459
 02-21-2014, 03:57 PM
User Info
After reading this thread, I am thankful to live in the south. All the descriptions make it clear that this part of home ownership is a very physically demanding job that can certainly be dangerous at times. Thanks for the photos.

32 1,746
 02-23-2014, 09:22 AM
User Info
(02-21-2014, 03:57 PM)ridgerunner Wrote: After reading this thread, I am thankful to live in the south.

William,
It is not all bad. I have lived her 15 years and only needed to use the Avalanche for 3 of those winters.

But the winter affords opportunities. I have a current thread on snowshoeing. Downhill skiing is close by. XC skiing can be done on local trails.The winter scenery is spectacular. We tap and make maple syrup. We have a pond that we used to skate on with a toasty fire and a pot of hot chocolate. Though since our daughter moved out I don't clear it anymore.

And sometimes it is sheer joy to enjoy a cup of tea or coffee with a scone and just look out the window at the white stuff.
[Image: 1nLAIow.jpg]

Phil

7 363
 02-23-2014, 11:01 AM
User Info
It's an excellent time of year to get close to animals one can't otherwise while they're alive.

Not very many years ago we had 4-5' of snow in the forest and I took my dog out snowshoeing. The snow as so deep that year that even the moose were "yarded up". They do that as a way to survive. They choose an area to stay in, and their constant use of the same trails to the browse that they can eat keeps the trails open so that they don't need to continuously bust trail. As long as they don't run out of feed in the yard they do fine.

Well anyway, back to the story, that year I had a cow and calf moose yarded up in our woodland. It was my and my dogs private moose viewing area for a month or so. We never pressed them to get closer. Our intent wasn't to stress them, merely to watch. In that particular area, since I cut trees out of it that meant we could get to within maybe 30 yards of them. I figured that was plenty close enough with a cow moose and calf. If you've never seen how big a full grown moose is, well just trust me, they dwarf a human. I didn't want to see how fast an angry cow could plow through deep snow. Biggrin

Deer yard up most years, so they aren't even noteworthy.

32 6,459
 02-26-2014, 07:35 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
You should move to New Orleans. We have to sweep the oak leaves off the porch... Pick up the empties from the night before. Then brave the crowds for Mardi Gras... (THIS COMING TUESDAY...YEAAA !!!) It sure is tough on us.... lol

5 1,151
 02-27-2014, 06:03 PM
User Info
(02-26-2014, 07:35 AM)savagejoerude Wrote: You should move to New Orleans. We have to sweep the oak leaves off the porch... Pick up the empties from the night before. Then brave the crowds for Mardi Gras... (THIS COMING TUESDAY...YEAAA !!!) It sure is tough on us.... lol

Give me a call come hurricane season .............

129 6,685
 02-27-2014, 11:41 PM
User Info
Dittos Doug.

Unless we get snow like this (Somewhere in Siberia)
[Image: cid_1_2209007486web124901_mail_ne1_yahoo...9b5327.jpg]
Our houses remain intact.

But with hurricanes (and Maine does get them, but normally greatly reduced in ferocity) one can be picking the home parts up from miles away if one can recognize it from the other debris.

32 6,459