02-20-2014, 06:56 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
So I ordered one. Should have it today or tomorrow. Anyone have one/use one before. I have boars,Badgers, Synthetics, Badger/Boar mix now I wanted to give this a try. I wanted to go horsehair but wasn't willing to take the plunge so I figured id dip my toe in the water so to speak and go with the Badger/horse mix. Looking for some experiences with this brush....

9 429
 02-20-2014, 12:15 PM
User Info
I understand you are reluctant to take the plunge but WCS has some Vie-Long brushes that very fairly priced. This is the one I have, and for 18 if you do not like it it is not a big loss.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Vie-Long..._2069.html

0 295
 02-20-2014, 12:25 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
Yes for $18 your right its not that big a deal. I figured id give the horse/badger mix a shot and if I liked that then Ill venture into a strictly horse hair offering.
Tell me how do you like that brush?

9 429
 02-20-2014, 12:39 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I got 3 of them from Bullgoose and the mix is excellent...just enough of scritch and softness to really spread the soap or cream...becoming my favorite mix of hair....the handles Phil has are a bit more pricy but for either $35 or $50 they are still a bargain....

6 1,994
 02-20-2014, 01:35 PM
User Info
Is there some unique characteristic about Horse hair that makes it different to boar and badger? I'm curious about these brushes as well. Good or bad for face lathering? How does it compare to boar and badger?

0 338
 02-20-2014, 03:38 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
Well it arrived. Ill be using it first thing tomorrow morning. I will report back with my initial impression and of course it will take a few uses to get a real feel for it but Ill at least report how my initial use goes and then follow up after a few uses...

9 429
 02-20-2014, 07:20 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
(02-20-2014, 01:35 PM)Darkbulb Wrote: Is there some unique characteristic about Horse hair that makes it different to boar and badger? I'm curious about these brushes as well. Good or bad for face lathering? How does it compare to boar and badger?

The face feel is different, with a higher ratio of mane/tail being softer in my experience. I have 2, a BullGoose Beehive in natural horse and Vie-Long Zurrito Blanco, and both perform just fine in face lathers, though I prefer the Zurrito Blanco, which feels softer to me.

They are inexpensive enough that they're worth a try.

0 1,137
 02-24-2014, 11:52 AM
User Info
Sorry for the delay. It is not a bad brush. I prefer the length of it since I have large hands. That was the main factor for me.

0 295
 02-25-2014, 08:15 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
So I have used it once and for an initial use I was pretty impressed. Ill have to use it a few more times to get a true feel for it. It lathers the soap wonderfully. It holds the lather a bit different than an all badger or a boar would or even a badger/boar mix. I cant exactly put my finger on it. Not saying its bad its just different. Its almost like the lather doesn't pull up into the brush as much. A bit like a synthetic in that regard. Anyway as I said not bad my any means. I love the beehive handle for sure and I liked the feel of the badger/horse mixed knot on my face. Good mix of soft yet firm. I wouldnt say "scritchiness" like some say. I didnt get that. It wasnt that feel. Broken in boars feel more scritchy (if that is even a word) than this does for sure. Im thinking it has the potential to become one of my fav brushes to be honest.

9 429
 02-27-2014, 03:09 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
I will be using this for my shave this evening. Ill update here how it goes. You know your obsessed when the highlight of the evening is using your new shave brush! lol

9 429
 02-27-2014, 05:51 PM
User Info
Natural horse is a favorite of mine and I really do not use them enough. You can get fairly soft horse (more mane less tail, or scritchy (more tail, less mane). Best of all, no animals are harmed to make a horse hair brush.

129 6,685
 02-27-2014, 10:03 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
(02-27-2014, 05:51 PM)wingdo Wrote: Natural horse is a favorite of mine and I really do not use them enough. You can get fairly soft horse (more mane less tail, or scritchy (more tail, less mane). Best of all, no animals are harmed to make a horse hair brush.

Im not sure Ill go 100% horse although I appreciate the benefit that you referred too. I notice the horse bristles tend to stick together rather than stay separate. Now with this brush, having the badger in there as well this doesnt seem to present an issue at all. With all horse hair however I think it may.
Now back to this brush in particular. I used it again and I have to say I really like it. It lathers soap like a dream. I mean whips up a lather very very fast. Feels very nice on my face, just the right combo of of soft but not too soft and stiff but not too stiff. Honestly I cant wait to use it again. I like to skip a day in between brush uses so Ill give it tomorrow off then Sat Ill be right back with this brush and I will report in again. So far..very impressed. The quality of the brush itself as well as the knot seems superb. The performance is excellent.

9 429