05-02-2012, 10:12 AM
User Info
So far Captain's Choice, Ogallala, Krampert's Finest (thanks to ShadowsDad for the awesome sample), and Honeybee Gardens, Booster, Geo F Trumper and Lucky Tiger have all not met my expectations.

The closet are Krampert's Finest and Honeybee Garden — they're the only two that lingered on for about an hour or so.

0 128
 05-02-2012, 10:15 AM
User Info
To my thinking, strength and staying power are different.

You just aren't going to get that much duration out of an aftershave. They aren't designed for that. Have you looked for a Bay Rum cologne?

10 1,858
 05-02-2012, 10:22 AM
User Info
The scent of pure bay rum is fleeting and more of a top note . That is why a lot of AS' s add clove, pepper and other fragrances to lengthen the scent.

To get staying power you are going to have to use a cologne that has a more spicy note. It will not be bay rum dominant.

3 823
 05-02-2012, 10:37 AM
User Info
(05-02-2012, 10:15 AM)Songwind Wrote: To my thinking, strength and staying power are different.

You just aren't going to get that much duration out of an aftershave. They aren't designed for that. Have you looked for a Bay Rum cologne?

Have I? No, not really. I did end up with GFT Bay Rum, but that was a horrible scent unlike anything else I've smelled.

I'm starting to think I should combine a few of these BR aftershaves together and see if it'll make it stronger.

0 128
 05-02-2012, 01:13 PM
User Info
Pinauds is fairly long lasting, but as mentioned above it is via letting it rest on the clove scent. Bay Rum in and of itself is a fairly fleeting scent.

0 252
 05-06-2012, 09:36 AM
User Info
Just joined the forum.

I picked up some Ogallala cologne, not aftershave listed as double strength and it is what it says, strong.

0 26
 05-08-2012, 01:24 PM
User Info
Master's hangs around to me. I prefer Captain's & Ogalla though. I have noticed that if you wash you hands, rub you damp hands over your face, it seems to reactivate the scent. But that may just be me.

0 51
 05-10-2012, 06:46 PM
  • James
  • Louisiana
User Info
Meehan's lasts all day for me. Goes on with a nice burn.

1 24
 05-11-2012, 01:26 PM
User Info
Domenica Bay Rum lingers...not really long, but lingers.

1 69
 05-14-2012, 04:26 PM
  • James
  • Louisiana
User Info
(05-11-2012, 01:26 PM)Russianrat Wrote: Domenica Bay Rum lingers...not really long, but lingers.

A good daily driver for me.

1 24
 05-22-2012, 12:59 PM
User Info
Pinaud V.I. Bay Rum lasts a while on me and it burns so good!

0 433
 07-04-2018, 04:02 PM
User Info
DEFINITELY Meehan's (for me).

The past 3 years I have turned into quite the Bay Rum or Bay RHUM junkie, tried pretty much all those mentioned, come to the realization 

that Meehan's is the one with the least clovey, absolutely can't stand the "clove" scent overpowering many bay rums. 

(Kinda like walking through of group of 18 yr olds puffing on their clove cigs.)

I even make to stud the whole smoked ham during holiday dinners with a parsimonious amount of whole cloves, since that strong flavor can

easily overwhelm more subtle enjoyable fragrances present in the ham.

I DID notice the first half bottle I got from a good fellow on BST had a bit darker almost light amber color and appeared of a "stouter" consistency

than the recent whole bottle I got from the Donny Brook Meehan's Farm. Maybe the first was concentrated a bit from age...?

They both are supreme in the Bay Rum world. Purchase from the actual Meehan's web site as prices are 50-60% higher on popular auction sites.

The only others I purchase are vintage ones from the 60's if they are made in Bermuda, (caution, current packaging of some "vintage"style bay rums can often be

deceiving, usually describing as Bermuda recipe or formula when they are in fact made here in the U.S. "under license blah blah blah..." not the same as I've compared

a few different bottles and found that every time. Of course vintage bottles need to have been sealed and stored properly. 

The price of vintage vs current varies greatly though.

1 18
 07-04-2018, 06:07 PM
User Info
How about Royall Bay Rhum?

1 506
 07-07-2018, 04:57 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
I am shocked . . . SHOCKED! . . . I tell you that no one yet has mentioned St Johns Bay Rum, which has been made in and exported from the Virgin Islands for almost three-quarters of a century.  St Johns more or less invented the category for the North American market, and I simply cannot imagine an “authentic” bay rum that comes in a bottle that is not wrapped in woven palm fronds.  

But imagine it one must, at least for a while.  From the stjohnsbayrum dot com website:  

Quote:The hurricanes of last September not only damaged our small batch facility but also displaced most of our local weavers and stripped the island palms of their fronds.
Each bottle is woven by hand by local artisans using island palm fronds.  Consequently, we are without the woven bottle for a short period of time.  The palms are growing back and the weavers are coming together so we hope to be back in stock later this spring.
In the meantime, we have created a Limited Edition Hurricane Series with our classic Bay Rum and West Indian Lime fragrances. Same classic fragrance! Commemorative design!
We are partnering with Americares by donating $3 for each bottle sold to aid them in their relief efforts.
Your support is much appreciated.

But think of it this way:  in addition to contributing to the Americares relief effort, a purchase of a bottle of the Hurricane Series bay rum will get you a collector's item that your grandchildren just possibly can sell on whatever the equivalent of eBay is in 2050 or so.

Clap  Clap  Clap

1 1,274
 07-21-2018, 06:57 AM
User Info
Atomic Bay Rum by PAA is very nice and strong and so is the Bay Rum offered by Chiseled Face. I have a bottle of St. Johns Bay Rum and although I don't use it often, it has a great smell and also seems to last a little longer than the others listed in the original post.

25 286
 08-18-2018, 02:33 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
small company by name of providence perfume makes a bay rhum cologne

3 290
 08-19-2018, 09:09 AM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
I feel like I remember Clubman's bay rum being pretty strong

12 609
 08-23-2018, 01:26 PM
User Info
In my opinion, Captains' Choice "Cat o' Nine Tails" is a stronger version of their Bay Rum aftershave.

1 77
 08-27-2018, 02:08 AM
  • TomG
  • Perth, Western Australia
User Info
Ogallala Special Reserve.
Just remember to shake the bottle well before application, or you may find yourself in strife Wink .

0 39