02-21-2014, 06:10 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
All of the big, traditional grooming houses either have their own proprietary scents (English Fern, Grafton, GFT, Eucris, etc), as well as old standards like Rose, Almond, and Sandalwood. One of the great things about our artisan soap makers is the new, unique scents they create for us. One of my favorites is Saint Charles Shave's Fairway scent. As you might expect, it is a fresh, green scent that is reminiscent of a day outside on the golf course.

What other scents should we be paying attention to?

0 1,137
 02-21-2014, 07:10 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I often tire of the traditional scents found everywhere, such as rose, lavender, lime, and sandalwood, although I sometimes enjoy blends of traditional scents, such as Mystic Water Sandalwood Rose. Although I'm now using mostly soaps, the most complex, unique scents that I've found are with Al's creams: Saigon is a "juicy citrus carried on tropical grass...turing into a deep woody-green scent." Other scents include Bodega, Calabria, Palermo, and Boheme, scents that you don't find anywhere else.

38 5,108
 02-21-2014, 07:23 AM
User Info
(02-21-2014, 07:10 AM)evnpar Wrote: I often tire of the traditional scents found everywhere, such as rose, lavender, lime, and sandalwood, although I sometimes enjoy blends of traditional scents, such as Mystic Water Sandalwood Rose. Although I'm now using mostly soaps, the most complex, unique scents that I've found are with Al's creams: Saigon is a "juicy citrus carried on tropical grass...turing into a deep woody-green scent." Other scents include Bodega, Calabria, Palermo, and Boheme, scents that you don't find anywhere else.

These are some of my thoughts as well. Al has made very few 1, 2 or 3-note scents.

16 249
 02-21-2014, 07:29 AM
User Info
I have Barrister & Mann soaps in the Cheshire, Seville, and Solstice scents. I love them all, but especially the Cheshire.

10 2,062
 02-21-2014, 08:32 AM
User Info
I agree that the artisans are coming up with the more complex scents lately. B&M, Fitjar, PPF, Mystic Water, Nanny's, QCS, Strop Shoppe, Stirling, Neumann's all have some interesting scents.

34 156
 02-21-2014, 01:36 PM
User Info
I like most of the Mystic Water scents. I don't think a scent has to be complex to be interesting. Rosalimone is one of my favorites. Lavender-Lime is really nice, too.

For example, the Fairway that you like so much? It is a one-note fragrance. You'll never guess what the fragrance note is. It's carrot tops. Honestly. Go to the grocery store to the produce section, pick up some of the carrots that still have their green tops attached, and give it a big whiff. It's FAIRWAY. That's all that's in that scent. (And I agree that it's a great scent.)

Mixing scents together is fine, but you really need to know what you're doing or they can come out somewhat muddled. I, too, think that Al Raz's scents are pretty amazing.

2 1,460
 02-21-2014, 06:52 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I thought MW Sandlewood Rose was unique and quite intoxicating. I also liked the scents of Strop Shoppe SE Tallow Baker St, and PannaCrema San Francisco. However, my favorite artisan scent at this time has to be Mike's Natural Rose & Cedarwood Biggrin

34 1,628
 02-21-2014, 06:55 PM
User Info
I have never smelled a soap as complex and unique as LPL. Its deep.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

32 344
 02-21-2014, 07:09 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
I agree, for me the old standby's or classics just get old at times. Dont get me wrong I love a good bay rum or sandalwood but something new and refreshing is a welcome change. The Artisan Soap maker has the luxury of working in batch sizes that afford them the opportunity to experiment more and take more risks without having to worry about getting stuck with 1000's of dollars in product if a scent doesn't move. The wet shaving consumer benefits from this luxury.

9 429
 02-21-2014, 07:17 PM
  • Elendil
  • The snow's back.
User Info
(02-21-2014, 01:36 PM)kingfisher Wrote: I like most of the Mystic Water scents. I don't think a scent has to be complex to be interesting. Rosalimone is one of my favorites. Lavender-Lime is really nice, too.

For example, the Fairway that you like so much? It is a one-note fragrance. You'll never guess what the fragrance note is. It's carrot tops. Honestly. Go to the grocery store to the produce section, pick up some of the carrots that still have their green tops attached, and give it a big whiff. It's FAIRWAY. That's all that's in that scent. (And I agree that it's a great scent.)

Mixing scents together is fine, but you really need to know what you're doing or they can come out somewhat muddled. I, too, think that Al Raz's scents are pretty amazing.

Damn, you're good. It really does smell like carrot tops. I'm glad Wendy put that scent to work.

0 1,137
 02-24-2014, 09:16 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I only had 1 Mike's (Lavander Eucalyptus) - but it was very good.

Then I received a generous PIF of Jabonman samples from a benefactor here (take a bow benefactor?). This set is the most complex and yet natural set of fragrances I've experienced in shavedom. In particular - Laurel-BlackPepper is very unique and pleasing to my nose.

Btw - I am also awaiting some MW samples and MW universally gets high praise for it's fragrance selection. Jabonman has set a high bar though.

17 535
 02-24-2014, 09:39 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
I love what black pepper brings to the scent profile. Mikes orange cedar black pepper is a great scent combination in my opinion.

9 429
 02-24-2014, 11:25 AM
User Info
(02-21-2014, 01:36 PM)kingfisher Wrote: For example, the Fairway that you like so much? It is a one-note fragrance. You'll never guess what the fragrance note is. It's carrot tops. Honestly

Now that does NOT sound appealing!!

[Image: F41AE47172DAE050B63DD749E93DE0.jpg]

0 836
 02-24-2014, 01:41 PM
User Info
I really like Barrister & Mann's Nocturne. It's a wonderful take on the Halloween/Autumn scent idea, and no rehash of the old "pumpkin pie" scent profile. (Not that I dislike that scent, but it's not new, either.)

10 1,858
 02-24-2014, 02:08 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I like different scented soaps that have complex notes. For instance I just purchased Synergy Meta Nectar, Petal Pushers Briar, both great scents that are different.

1 3,507
 02-24-2014, 03:35 PM
  • Elendil
  • The snow's back.
User Info
What does Meta Nectar smell like?

0 1,137
 02-24-2014, 03:46 PM
User Info
(02-24-2014, 01:41 PM)Songwind Wrote: I really like Barrister & Mann's Nocturne. It's a wonderful take on the Halloween/Autumn scent idea, and no rehash of the old "pumpkin pie" scent profile. (Not that I dislike that scent, but it's not new, either.)

Nocturne was really great. I gave my puck to a friend and regret it a bit.

34 156